U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the presidential election?
Obama 49 53.85%
McCain 37 40.66%
Other/undecided 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Inner Loop H-town & Austin
179 posts, read 160,169 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

Who are you voting for if you live in HOUSTON only. Don't answer if you live outside the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX (Oak Forest)
4,707 posts, read 11,741,566 times
Reputation: 3784
Bob Barr but you did not list him. Way to buy into the Republicrat, you only have 2 choices, propaganda :P

Last edited by chris_ut; 10-01-2008 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Wexford PA / Clear Lake TX
8,231 posts, read 27,136,697 times
Reputation: 4510
I'm undecided as of now. I'm about 50/50 liberal/conservative, libertarian leaning at times. Sometimes I agree with both sides regarding particular issues they merely argue about. I've been voting since 1996 and maybe it's because I'm older now, but I have never been so disappointed in the choices we have before us. Barr included. At times I can't even believe what's going on in this circus is actually real. Absolutely pitiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:44 AM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 18,224,660 times
Reputation: 5152
Can we get rid of these two and start over with the primaries? My vote (in the primary) wouldn't change, but I bet a lot of other people's would!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Charleston Sc and Western NC
9,274 posts, read 23,410,655 times
Reputation: 4695
I'm just going to vote for who I think would do the least damage to our country. Foreign Policies included.

That's about the best I can do this time around. One's a wildhair Democrat in Republican's clothing, the other just has no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Wexford PA / Clear Lake TX
8,231 posts, read 27,136,697 times
Reputation: 4510
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I'm just going to vote for who I think would do the least damage to our country. Foreign Policies included.
That's what I'm planning on. But at this point, given the issues we as a nation have before us, I still haven't figured out which camp is more inept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Inner Loop H-town & Austin
179 posts, read 160,169 times
Reputation: 75
Personally I don't see how any intelligent voter can't at least be terrified of McCain/Palin. Even if Obama raised capital gains and taxes on top 5% after our economic recovery, that would do far less damage than McCain starting a ton of idiotic wars in the middle east.

I personally am pretty libertarian but the Republicans have screwed up so much they really need to be punished in order to force them towards fiscal responsibility and limiting the size of government (which will never happen but we've got to try).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Sugar Land, TX, USA
759 posts, read 2,890,966 times
Reputation: 232
the Republicans tried to pass a bill to oversee/regulate fatty mac and farty mae in 2003 but the dumbocraps voted against it because it would impact their voting block....there is a reason i don't lend to poor people and those with shady credit....they may not pay it back (doh, no S***)

Unfortunately that idiot barney frank cant understand or know that he would not be able to buy the votes he needed to keep his seat in office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Personally I don't see how any intelligent voter can't at least be terrified of McCain/Palin. Even if Obama raised capital gains and taxes on top 5% after our economic recovery, that would do far less damage than McCain starting a ton of idiotic wars in the middle east.

I personally am pretty libertarian but the Republicans have screwed up so much they really need to be punished in order to force them towards fiscal responsibility and limiting the size of government (which will never happen but we've got to try).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX (Oak Forest)
4,707 posts, read 11,741,566 times
Reputation: 3784
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
the Republicans tried to pass a bill to oversee/regulate fatty mac and farty mae in 2003 but the dumbocraps voted against it because it would impact their voting block....there is a reason i don't lend to poor people and those with shady credit....they may not pay it back (doh, no S***)

Unfortunately that idiot barney frank cant understand or know that he would not be able to buy the votes he needed to keep his seat in office.
Amazing how the Republicans controlled the Presidency and both houses of Congress but amazingly couldn't get this bill passed. Well actually there was never a bill they just had a "hearing" about it, i.e. cover their asses without ever actually doing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Houston
57 posts, read 384,774 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Amazing how the Republicans controlled the Presidency and both houses of Congress but amazingly couldn't get this bill passed. Well actually there was never a bill they just had a "hearing" about it, i.e. cover their asses without ever actually doing anything.
I agree: it is inexcusable that the Republicans didn't all but shut down the GSEs. At the same time, it is fair to observe that the topic remained a hot button issue exploited by the Democratic leadership.

Reported in NYT Business Section in 2003:

''These two entities -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac -- are not facing any kind of financial crisis,'' said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. ''The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.''

It's not as if Democrats were dying to take over Congess so they could regulate the agencies more strictly.

New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - New York Times

Personally, I think it is more correct to ask how the "political class" at large put up with humongo known flaws for so long, putting so much more energy into political posturing than serving the republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top