U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 PM

469 posts, read 701,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Mass transit is used in places like NYC or Chic or SF to provide $100K+/yr unionized jobs to worthless gvt workers and justify 10%+ state/city income tax rates to suburban taxpayers who never use unsafe/uncomfortable mass transit anyway
It is true that many of those unionized workers get tremendous salaries. Some Metro drives pull in over $100K plus a year. (Cost two million per bus a year to operate) In SF it is even worse; in addition they are always threatening to strike whenever their demands are not met. One solution is for the city to grant medallions or rights to bus companies to run certain routes. Many cities worldwide do that, and it is very efficient and effective, where buses and small vans make their rounds almost every other minute. On top of that the city gets paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,450,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
We could put ferry boats in the bayous & float people into the city.
I really hope they do this! I would rather see a ferry based water transportation system on the bayous then a subway system.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM

13,440 posts, read 14,806,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I really hope they do this! I would rather see a ferry based water transportation system on the bayous then a subway system.
Surely you think Houston could do both. A rail system is much more vital to the majority of the area than a ferry system.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 PM

11,398 posts, read 17,530,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Some Metro drives pull in over $100K plus a year.
You mean somewhere else, right?

In Houston, METRO bus drivers start out more like $25K/yr. Just looked at their job openings and it appears a light rail operator gets paid $15/hr, at least starting out. That works out to $31,200/yr gross. I guess that's the difference a union makes?

Then again, this isn't much different really than the commerical airline business where the pilots are well-paid union members who can go on strike, the airlines are generally unprofitable and were getting government bailouts long before automakers and Wall Street, and then we have the security screeners who get paid by the federal government. Then they work in airports that are publicly funded. Sounds like more "communist stuff" to me.

I'd say walking to get everywhere is the way around "communist stuff" but then I remembered that taxpayer dollars pay for construction and maintenance of sidewalks, and people's disdain for walking where there are no sidewalks is pretty well documented around here.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM

344 posts, read 649,802 times
Don't you guys ever wonder why you never see any large boats (like ferry boats) on the bayous and rivers around here? Have you ever looked at one of the bayous when we are having one of our semi-frequent torrential downpours? Ferry traffic just is not ever going to happen in Houston.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM

11,398 posts, read 17,530,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLizardo View Post
Don't you guys ever wonder why you never see any large boats (like ferry boats) on the bayous and rivers around here? Have you ever looked at one of the bayous when we are having one of our semi-frequent torrential downpours? Ferry traffic just is not ever going to happen in Houston.
Right. It sounds nice and novel and all, but most of the bayous are unnavigable by anything as large as a passenger ferry even in the best of conditions.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 PM

344 posts, read 649,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Right. It sounds nice and novel and all, but most of the bayous are unnavigable by anything as large as a passenger ferry even in the best of conditions.
And think about bus drivers and train operators transferring over to become ferry boat captains. They're dangerous as hell on land, I can only imagine the morning traffic reports with them driving ferries:
Quote:
"In traffic this morning there is a major tie up coming into downtown on the North Freeway where a Metro ferry ran into a bridge support pylon. Traffic is backed up to the Woodlands, and all the alternatives are jammed as well. We suggest you just go back home. Meanwhile, in the news, rescue efforts are still undergoing by the HPD Dive Team along White Oak Bayou where a Metro ferry..."

Old 02-01-2010, 03:37 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,756,304 times

One of our current Bayou transit options, the May Dragon Boat Festival is proof that we can get some kind of ferry system in action.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Surely you think Houston could do both. A rail system is much more vital to the majority of the area than a ferry system.
I would LOVE to see both but I don't know if that's plausible. Like I said before, the environmental factors of Houston would probably make it much more difficult (if even possible) and expensive to build a subway system than most cities, and subways aren't cheap in the first place. Of course, if Houston had a LT rail, heavy rail, a ferry system on the bayous, a subway system, AND the combination of our excellent highway system, we would be one of the best transportation cities in the country, if not the world. BUT the combination of all that is a bit of a pipe dream at the moment (at least for the next 30 or so years), so at least we're getting the LT lines and possibly a heavy rail system in the not too distant future.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post

One of our current Bayou transit options, the May Dragon Boat Festival is proof that we can get some kind of ferry system in action.
It would be MUCH cheaper than a subway, although, probably not as efficient. But if you look at the Buffalo Bayou, it goes through Katy (I think) Uptown, downtown, and empties into the ship channel, and that's JUST one of the bayous. Now if they could just find a way for the water to not look so brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston