Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I passed a new one the other day that caught my attention...I think it was called Kingdom Hill? The front "gates" were styled like a medieval castle or something. Kingdom? COME ON I seriously thought I was in Utah or something.
That neighborhood is Kingdom Heights. My husband and I had a good laugh about that one the other day, although when he stopped laughing he said in all seriousness he would never live in a development with "Kingdom" in the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:08 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,156 times
What is also funny is the elaborate brick monuments they design with lights and waterfalls and what not with the name of the subdivision etched in stone at the entrance to the subdivisions.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
theres "Pheasant Run" near me. to be honest I had to check the dictionary. OK WTF?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 AM

684 posts, read 2,109,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txedghill View Post
For me, it's not the name by itself, but if the subdivision is themed. In Spring, they have Candlelight Hills. Street names are Red Candle, White Candle, Burnt Candle, Wax Candle, etc, etc

That's insane. I remember once on the way to Austin just off 290 we saw a sign for an Old Potato Road. We thought it was destined to be a themed subdivision with road names of Baked Potato Rd, Old Potato Rd, New Potato Rd, Mashed Potato Rd, Au Gratin Lane, etc, etc
You forgot "Yucon Gold Circle" (Trendy upscale neighborhood) and "McDonalds French Fries Are *Now* Truly Not Fried In *Any* Animal Fat Avenue (sort of a sketchy neighborhood....)

..and just for fun..."Stuffed Sweet Potatoe With Brown Sugar, Marshmallow, & Cinnamon Lane* (the *melting pot* neighborhood)

Old 10-15-2008, 06:52 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
That neighborhood is Kingdom Heights. My husband and I had a good laugh about that one the other day, although when he stopped laughing he said in all seriousness he would never live in a development with "Kingdom" in the name.
Yeah that's it! Just creepy, I think. And who wrote that marketing paragraph on the opening page of the website? It's so poorly written, and I LOVE how they put quotes around the "lakefront" and "parkside" living. Like, duh we know it's not a real lake.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,733,169 times
You can see what one of said "lakes" looks like on Image 8 here: 6406 Oxford Lake, Rosenberg, TX 77471

Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Bay Knoll, Bay Glen, Bay Pointe, Bay Forest, Bay Oaks. We don't have any glens (valleys) or knolls (hills), though, and what's left of our natural forest is kinda weak.

Then you have "Northfork" which is fairly accurate as far as location goes. In there you have sections called "The Oaks" and "The Pines" which look nearly the same. And don't forget Pinebrook, Oakbrook and Middlebrook. Redundant again.

I guess our region could be worse. Definintely no Plantations here.

As far as the strangest street names go, in unincorporated Friendswood area there's a street/spur in Heritage Park named Monkeysfist Rd, but there are no houses on it. I guess they figured no one would want to live on a street called "Monkey's Fist."

Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

As far as the strangest street names go, in unincorporated Friendswood area there's a street/spur in Heritage Park named Monkeysfist Rd, but there are no houses on it. I guess they figured no one would want to live on a street called "Monkey's Fist."
All the streets in that area our "nautical" themed, like starboard etc... I actually thought monkeyfist was kinda cool because its named after a nautical knot and I actually knew what it was (thanks to being a cub scout den mom LOL). The streets in my end of the subdivison our pilgrim related like cobblers way, colonial ridge etc....

Old 10-15-2008, 11:23 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,192 times
and while we're on the subject of these new housing developments can someone tell me what's up with the two-tone houses? You know what I'm talking about, where the house is made up of a mix of white stone and red brick or some other hideous combination. I mean really, it's like someone mismatching clothes and thinking it honestly looks good. puke.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,383 times
Not only the subdivisions...the street names are a hoot. My subdivision has "Lake Mist" (no lake within MILES) and "Golden Rainbow". (Makes me wonder if the people naming these street were doing lots of dope in the 70's.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston