Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times

Advertisements

Has anyone recently moved from SoCal to the Houston area via PODS or Smart Moves?

We are trying to find this type of moving option. I'd like to get a couple of more quotes before making a decision.

What's important to us is air-ride trucks that the containers would be transported on.

Any recommendations for auto transport and Houston-based truck "un-loaders"?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,271 times
Smart Move quoted me $3500 from NJ to Houston. They drop off your pods, at which I needed 3 for an apartment for some reason and free the first 28 days. After the 28th day they charge you for what you needed. I asked for loading help and to store it in NJ until I was ready to move. This broke the price up. If you want them to store it in Houston before you even get there then you owe the whole amount minus unloading. You can get quotes right online. I heard Smart Move is the most reasonable but i'm not sure about the transit and car transit question.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:53 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,005 times
Dang, couldn't you just pay a moving company that much and have them do the work for you?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
We were quoted approx $3500 for our move with Smart Moves; national moving companies came in between 6-8k.

I think we're going with ABT moving as they've quoted 1k less than Smart Moves but we're going with their trailer rather than their relocubes.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
We were quoted approx $3500 for our move with Smart Moves; national moving companies came in between 6-8k.

I think we're going with ABT moving as they've quoted 1k less than Smart Moves but we're going with their trailer rather than their relocubes.
I've heard good things about ABT. Most of their drivers are pretty good at showing you how to properly load your goods. Of course the downside is it won't be as easy (or as cheap) to store the goods if the need arises... as everything would have to be handled a second time, whereas with PODS they just plop the cube in a warehouse. I'd recommend checking out movingscam.com for info on reputable movers/auto transporters. I used the forums there to select a mover to do my move from Connecticut to Houston 1.5 years ago and couldn't have been happier. I worked a summer during college as a mover, so I know how shady people in that business can be... and that was for a very reputable company. Do your homework on autotranporters as well because there are just as many scammers in that game as there are in the moving game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston