U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 14,579 times

Advertisements

i'm new to texas, Houston to be precise and i was wondering how much i can expect to pay in fees and penalties if i don't register my car with in 30 days? and will anyone really be looking for that? not sure if anyone would know this but if you do please enlighten me! O_O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,546,974 times
I know people who waited a year before registering their cars in Texas and never had a problem. You should check with your insurance provider on their rules regarding moving to a different state or filing claims in a different state.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM

9,791 posts, read 24,396,696 times
You can always say your visiting as long as your DL matches your Ins. card and registration. It so cheap to register a car, why wait? We moved from Ca. and were able to register 4 cars for less than the price of 1 in Ca.! Just go to any place that does inspections...pay the $30 or so and then head on down to your closest court house. Doesn't take long and is relatively painless!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:58 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Shelby is right. Why wait? Texas insurance is so cheap that by changing you are saving money right away. Registration is much cheaper then most states too.

Im new here. Here is what I learned. They do not have expiration stickers that you place on your license plate. Therefore if a donut muncher pulls up behind you he will not even know if you are expired unless he walks up to the front sticker.

But there are so many out of state plates here that I think most donut munchers dont even give them a second look unless they give reason for them to.

I might also add that changing over is also much easier in Texas too. No 6 to 8 hour waits and taking the day off from work just to register is a pretty good reason.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-28-2008 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: repaired margin issues

Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 AM

419 posts, read 1,160,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Shelby is right. Why wait? Texas insurance is so cheap that by changing you are saving money right away. Registration is much cheaper then most states too.
Insurance in Texas is not necessarily cheaper, it would depend upon where the PP is from. After comparing insurance rates, emissions fees, yearly registration costs, and the new resident tax I chose to keep the registration for my home state. I am a student so I have no reason to change my tags.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:26 AM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommiePreMed View Post
Insurance in Texas is not necessarily cheaper, it would depend upon where the PP is from. After comparing insurance rates, emissions fees, yearly registration costs, and the new resident tax I chose to keep the registration for my home state. I am a student so I have no reason to change my tags.
As far as that new resident tax, yea that shocked me. To my knowledge I never heard of any state charging a new resident penalty. But even paying that extra $90 penalty, where I came from my registration and basic plates were $830 for a 7 year old vehicle. Here it was a tenth of that.

I agree with you, if your a student then by all means dont change your registration. Where I came from the donut Moderator cut: margin issues connoisseurs pick on out of state plates, here I never heard of anyone complaining about that.

Good luck with your school.........

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-30-2008 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: repaired "margin issues" again...

Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM

419 posts, read 1,160,142 times
Quote:
As far as that new resident tax, yea that shocked me. To my knowledge I never heard of any state charging a new resident penalty. But even paying that extra $90 penalty, where I came from my registration and basic plates were $830 for a 7 year old vehicle. Here it was a tenth of that.

I agree with you, if your a student then by all means dont change your registration. Where I came from the Moderator cut: margin issues connoisseurs pick on out of state plates, here I never heard of anyone complaining about that.

Good luck with your school.........
Wow, from where do you hail? I paid $240 a year for registration on our 3 year old vehicle.

Thanks

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-30-2008 at 12:46 AM.. Reason: repaired quote

Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM

872 posts, read 2,137,565 times
In Oregon, Registration is $52 and it's good for two years! That is crazy good!

Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 PM

182 posts, read 528,090 times
In PA it's $36 a year. Or was before I left last year.

Anyhow, you only get penalized if you get caught. I went 15 months with PA tags and nary a problem, fortunately I never got pulled over. (particularly since they were expired) I even had a vanity plate on the front. Registration was pretty easy - it was inspection that was the complete pain in the backside. Cost close to $1000 to fix two faulty sensors that the stupid TX system required replaced. (Not because anything was actually WRONG with the car or emissions, but the sensor caused the check engine light to be on so it failed) In PA they'd stick a wire in the tailpipe and actually MEASURE something. Here, no, they rely on the stupid onboard computer.

So, cheaper than some places but certainly not "cheap" IMO. Hope that helps?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM

11,412 posts, read 17,652,349 times
Quote:
Im new here. Here is what I learned. They do not have expiration stickers that you place on your license plate. Therefore if a donut muncher pulls up behind you he will not even know if you are expired unless he walks up to the front sticker.
Not quite. They can see your plate, run it through their computer in the cruiser and see whether or not you're current on your registration. They can't do this with inspection sticker, but they can with registration. And either it's already in place or it will be soon, but they are supposed to be able to do the same with whether or not you have liability insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston