Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,617 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Austin, but are thinking about possibly moving to Houston within the next 1 1/2 years. We want to give ourselves enough time to research different places before making that move. We moved to Austin about 3yrs ago. We have a nice house, good jobs, but not liking it here at all. We have been to Houston to visit a few times and really enjoyed it. People were very friendly and welcoming. We want to live in a safe area where it is mostly quiet, but not far from shopping, dining, and entertainment. We were thinking about the Woodlands, because it seems to be a nice area, and probably only about 45min max from downtown Houston. If anyone could give us any info on this area or any other great areas in the Houston area that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
The Woodlands is entirely different from Houston. 45 mins is a stretch to downtown I would say at least an hour from your house. It takes at least 15 mins to get on 45S. If you want to be near the museums,city life,ball park then I would not move to the Woodlands.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 PM

10 posts, read 33,540 times
Woodlands is a great area, it has everything you need. but keep in mind woodlands is like the beverly hills of LA. Homes cost alot more in that area. The cost of living is going to be on your higher side.
Lake Jackson and Angleton Tx is 45 min south of houston. its a great place to raise a family, and the cost of living is average.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-16-2008 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Do not include your profession as your post title - See DM

Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
What do you dislike about Austin? If you tell us that, we can help steer you toward areas of Houston you might like best.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM

100 posts, read 306,676 times
Magnolia and Tomball are good areas. Tomball schools are great. I like the woodlands also, but the city codes are pretty strict. I lived in magnolia now I live in seattle and am thinking about relocating back to the area. Houses out here are 250,000 for a 1,000sq ft 1915 home. 250 could buy alot more in texas. The only thing holding me back is the mother-in-law lives down there!!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferwa View Post
Magnolia and Tomball are good areas. Tomball schools are great. I like the woodlands also, but the city codes are pretty strict. I lived in magnolia now I live in seattle and am thinking about relocating back to the area. Houses out here are 250,000 for a 1,000sq ft 1915 home. 250 could buy alot more in texas. The only thing holding me back is the mother-in-law lives down there!!!!!
And in Seattle, that's $250,000 for a total fixer!

I can empathize about the mother-in-law, though...

Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
I am looking for a community that has children playing sefely in the streets and where the kids can make frionds and so can the parents. Open home plans with large yards a plus. Where would you suggest looking? I was leaning toward, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Leander or Round Rock areas.

Thanks-Sara

Old 02-13-2011, 09:26 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z831sara View Post
I am looking for a community that has children playing sefely in the streets and where the kids can make frionds and so can the parents. Open home plans with large yards a plus. Where would you suggest looking? I was leaning toward, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Leander or Round Rock areas.

Thanks-Sara
z831sara, you do know this the Houston Forum and not the Austin Forum don't you?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Kingwood is very similar to the Woodlands (albeit with less retail-restaurants though) but it also offers much quicker access to downtown than The Woodlands.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertQ View Post
Woodlands is a great area, it has everything you need. but keep in mind woodlands is like the beverly hills of LA. Homes cost alot more in that area.
I wouldn't exactly compare the Woodlands to Beveryl Hills, that would be more like River Oaks. It is a nice master planned suburb with a wide range of housing stock and prices. There is a premium in the Woodlands compared to similar houses in nearby areas like Klein, but you can find homes in a wide variety of price ranges there.

The Woodlands is very large and it would take you a while just to reach the freeway, then another 35 to 40 minutes in non-peak times (if there are no wrecks) to reach downtown, then additional time to whatever your destination is downtown, (the theatre, sporting event, etc.)

You can do a search on here for the Woodlands and find a lot of posts on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston