U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 PM

34 posts, read 77,372 times

Advertisements

I'm in Montgomery County (The Woodlands). I’ll give you the rates per my 2009 statement. They bill us for the previous year, and taxes for that year are due by 31 January of the current year.

Our tax structure changed this year. When The Woodlands was an ETJ, we paid property taxes, MUD taxes, and Community Association fees separately (association fees used to be due by 1 March). Now that we are officially “The Woodlands Township,” association fees are rolled into our other taxes. MUD is still a separate bill here. This is a bit of a bonus, since previously Community Association fees couldn’t be claimed on your Federal Income Tax return.

Also, if you're subject to a MUD tax, it's going to vary from what I have below, and generally goes down each year (our MUD district rate has gone down considerably since the area was new). In addition, the newest of The Woodlands' villages, Creekside Park, is in Harris County. Creekside is in the Tomball ISD, and I assume their other rates are different since they’re in Harris County.

You can get the assessed value of any residential property in Montgomery County here:
Home

Then apply the rates. Mine are:
Montgomery County: 0.483800
Conroe ISD (elementary/secondary schools): 1.270000
North Harris/Montgomery Community Colleges: 0.110100
Montgomery County MUD: 0.265000
Montgomery County Hospital: 0.076000
Overall: 2.2049

Last edited by paradoxcop; 02-22-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 12,255 times
Anyone looking for tax rate on a particular property should visit Tax Net USA

Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 AM

36 posts, read 75,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxcop View Post
I'm in Montgomery County (The Woodlands). I’ll give you the rates per my 2009 statement. They bill us for the previous year, and taxes for that year are due by 31 January of the current year.

Our tax structure changed this year. When The Woodlands was an ETJ, we paid property taxes, MUD taxes, and Community Association fees separately (association fees used to be due by 1 March). Now that we are officially “The Woodlands Township,” association fees are rolled into our other taxes. MUD is still a separate bill here. This is a bit of a bonus, since previously Community Association fees couldn’t be claimed on your Federal Income Tax return.

Also, if you're subject to a MUD tax, it's going to vary from what I have below, and generally goes down each year (our MUD district rate has gone down considerably since the area was new). In addition, the newest of The Woodlands' villages, Creekside Park, is in Harris County. Creekside is in the Tomball ISD, and I assume their other rates are different since they’re in Harris County.

You can get the assessed value of any residential property in Montgomery County here:
Home

Then apply the rates. Mine are:
Conroe ISD (elementary/secondary schools): 1.270000
Montgomery County MUD: 0.265000
Montgomery County Hospital: 0.076000
Overall: 2.2049
I've been hearing combined rates of 3.5% for a house in The Woodlands. What village are you in, that is only taxing at 2.2%?!?!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoTexas View Post
I've been hearing combined rates of 3.5% for a house in The Woodlands. What village are you in, that is only taxing at 2.2%?!?!
Village of Indian Springs.

When I made the original post, I pulled the figures from scanned-in statements on my computer. However, I mistakenly quoted the rates from the 2009 preliminary statement, which, in turn, lists rates for the previous year. I didn't notice that when I posted. Therefore, the rate of 2.2049 was correct for that period (2008), but it's misleading, because (as I initially stated) we used to pay a separate community association fee as well. That wasn't officially construed as a tax, but, of course, it had to be paid. This year, we have a new taxing jurisdiction, The Woodlands Township, which is paid in lieu of community association fees. The preliminary statement I used didn't even list The Woodlands Township jurisdiction. In the end, the rate didn't change much, but I apologize for the confusion.

Copying from my final 2009 tax bill, these are the revised figures. I triple checked them for accuracy. Comparing to the preliminary statement, the county and community college rates stayed the same. The ISD rate went up. The hospital and MUD district rate went down.

Main tax bill:
Conroe ISD (elementary/secondary schools): 1.285000
Montgomery County Hospital: 0.075500
Woodlands Township: 0.328000
subtotal: 2.2824

Paid separately:
Montgomery County MUD: 0.240000
total: 2.5224

I don't know why you're seeing rates about one percentage point higher. The main possibility I see is the variance between MUD jurisdictions. Again, as I initially stated, my MUD rate has gone down significantly since I first moved here 12 years ago, and that does vary by location. You can see that (and verify the other rates I listed) by looking here:

Tax Rates

The phone number for the appraisal district is 936-756-3354, if you have a particular property in mind and want to double check any of this with them.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM

3,587 posts, read 7,454,240 times
It is mostly MUD. My MUD in a new neighborhood is 1.2% so that accounts for the 1% difference.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 AM

36 posts, read 75,224 times
Okay, so -- 12 years, your MUD is getting mostly paid off, so that all makes sense. And once that's paid off, your taxes are a lot more reasonable.

So, again, you have a choice in what taxes you pay -- buy older, pay less. Want the new amenities and new construction, pay more. That works.

Is there a typical duration for a MUD tax, and how quickly does it decline in cost?

Thanks for all the info, you've all been very helpful!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:01 PM

For the most part, that is how it works, but it really depends on the geographical boundaries of the MUD district and how the land in it is developed. For example, there is a small development of multi-million dollar homes very close to me. They are still being built, but will benefit from MUD #60’s reduced tax burden because most of this MUD has been developed for awhile. I’ve also seen signs for brand-new subdivisions (not in The Woodlands) that advertise “no MUD tax.” It is possible to get new construction in a low/no MUD tax area if you shop around.

I really don’t know what formula they use to reduce the debt. FWIW, when my house was new, my MUD tax was approximately 3x greater than it is today, but these were not the first homes in this MUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston