Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 AM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times

Advertisements

I didn't purchase a Westin home, but from the looks of it, I think I got a good deal.

No lot premiums, standard - granite in master bath/kitchen, 42" cabinets, tech shield in attic, granite shower seat in master bath, r38/r15 insulation, 8" kitchen sink, nickel hardware - doors/showers/faucets etc, water filtration system under the kitchen sink wired to the refrigerator, some pest control system, EFL builder and some other minor things I don't remember at the moment.

Upgrades I did, granite in secondary bath - $300, undermount sinks - $100 each, 11x11? backyard covered patio (roof + foundation) - $2,000, sprinkler/gutters/full sod - $4,000, brick back - $2,000, tile in family room - $1,600, gas stub for backyard patio - $300, plumbing for water softener in garage - $700, rain glass in master bath - $300, mahogany front door - $900, bullnose for all my granite - $300.

Try negotiating on the price of some of the upgrades. I was able to for all of the ones I felt they were charging me too much for. I told them the home came with these upgrades as standard and they should lower the price on the upgrade of a upgrade.

I did a slew of other upgrades, total in upgrades is about $18,000. I got a little over 11% of my sale price for upgrades/discount on home, 2% (about $3,600) towards closing cost because I found a realtor to do a 2/1 split with me and another $4,000 towards closing cost if I use their preferred lender.

I would highly recommend finding a good home inspector to help you find things the builder or you might miss when the home is being built. The three main phases are pre-pour, frame and final. It's a little expensive up front, but it's worth it for the peace of mind and the money you'll save from future repairs. I hope I was able to help you decide on some upgrades you didn't consider before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,585,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
I didn't purchase a Westin home, but from the looks of it, I think I got a good deal.

No lot premiums, standard - granite in master bath/kitchen, 42" cabinets, tech shield in attic, granite shower seat in master bath, r38/r15 insulation, 8" kitchen sink, nickel hardware - doors/showers/faucets etc, water filtration system under the kitchen sink wired to the refrigerator, some pest control system, EFL builder and some other minor things I don't remember at the moment.

Upgrades I did, granite in secondary bath - $300, undermount sinks - $100 each, 11x11? backyard covered patio (roof + foundation) - $2,000, sprinkler/gutters/full sod - $4,000, brick back - $2,000, tile in family room - $1,600, gas stub for backyard patio - $300, plumbing for water softener in garage - $700, rain glass in master bath - $300, mahogany front door - $900, bullnose for all my granite - $300.

Try negotiating on the price of some of the upgrades. I was able to for all of the ones I felt they were charging me too much for. I told them the home came with these upgrades as standard and they should lower the price on the upgrade of a upgrade.

I did a slew of other upgrades, total in upgrades is about $18,000. I got a little over 11% of my sale price for upgrades/discount on home, 2% (about $3,600) towards closing cost because I found a realtor to do a 2/1 split with me and another $4,000 towards closing cost if I use their preferred lender.

I would highly recommend finding a good home inspector to help you find things the builder or you might miss when the home is being built. The three main phases are pre-pour, frame and final. It's a little expensive up front, but it's worth it for the peace of mind and the money you'll save from future repairs. I hope I was able to help you decide on some upgrades you didn't consider before.
What subdivision and what builder, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 AM

22 posts, read 73,105 times
Can we make the first design center appointment before we sign any legal binding paperwork or do we have to sign the paperwork first before we get to go to the design center appointment? Thanks for all of your input, we're checking this forum daily and making changes to our spreadsheet to stay in our budget. So far, we're doing a pretty good job and want to stay firm with our salesperson. He's still saying 6% so we're still trying to negotiate that part to at least 8%.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 AM

5 posts, read 21,081 times
Does anyone know whom to contact if something goes wrong after purchasing a westin homes still under warranty? Like faucet starts to leak. Their online warranty request does not seem to work.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axvu View Post
Can we make the first design center appointment before we sign any legal binding paperwork or do we have to sign the paperwork first before we get to go to the design center appointment? Thanks for all of your input, we're checking this forum daily and making changes to our spreadsheet to stay in our budget. So far, we're doing a pretty good job and want to stay firm with our salesperson. He's still saying 6% so we're still trying to negotiate that part to at least 8%.
They won't take your offer serious until you have check in hand and pen in the other. Don't try to negotiate over the phone, just ask questions.

Our strategy, we arrived with money (check ), we priced out a few things. We told them we'll take it if you can give us 10%, simply because we are down to you and another builder, and frankly at this point the other builder has a slight edge. Pull out your check, and ask them if they want to sell a home. You have to be confident, otherwise the salesperson will not budge or take you serious.

As for the design center, you won't actually sign or finalize until your second appointment, so you can rack up 50K in upgrades, and at the second appointment cut it down back to 10K.

We did a 1 4hr appointment, we had a strict budget, and we did alot of planning ahead and had the mentality to only get things that we couldn't do later.

Good LUCK !

Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manja View Post
Does anyone know whom to contact if something goes wrong after purchasing a westin homes still under warranty? Like faucet starts to leak. Their online warranty request does not seem to work.
You should of gotten some warranty forms.

But in the community info sheet, it sould have the emergency #'s to several key people like plumbing, hvac, etc...

Your sales person should be able to help you with that.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:43 AM

302 posts, read 955,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axvu View Post
@axvu - You can't go to the design center before signing your contract...
Here's a timeline...
First you sign the contract - We put $2,000 down and had a contingency letter place in, if our current house didn't sell, we would get our money back. At this time you also need to give them the name of your realtor, if you have one...

Second comes an appt with your salesperson at the model home to go over your external upgrades... 3rd (or 4th) car garage, brick, stone, etc...

Then you schedule the design center appt...

You sound very concern about not going over budget, and here's the thing, you don't have to get anything at the design center... you can get everything standard and not spend a penny there...

From reading your posts though it does look like you want some upgrades... I would put them all down in a sheet of paper and bring them with you when you sign the contract. The salesperson has access to all the pricing from the design center. They wouldn't print a pricelist for us, but they were able to check every price for us which helped in narrowing down what we wanted to get...

Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Forget the pricing.
Go in with specific demands.

Example: "I want upgraded wood floors in the dining, living room, kitchen, entry and master. The 3-car garage option. Upgraded granite countertops. Sprinkler system. Water softener. Plus $5k off the base price of the house."

Make it known you have check in hand and are ready to sign right then and there.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Forget the pricing.
Go in with specific demands.

Example: "I want upgraded wood floors in the dining, living room, kitchen, entry and master. The 3-car garage option. Upgraded granite countertops. Sprinkler system. Water softener. Plus $5k off the base price of the house."

Make it known you have check in hand and are ready to sign right then and there.
Westin doesnt' work like that. They won't sell below base price.
They dont' give items as upgrades, they give you incentive money and you can use it as you wish. At least that's how I understood from meeting 3 different sales people from different communities.

If a builder lowers the base price, that's a bad sign already.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Well that's too bad if they won't do it any other way.
I went with Trendmaker and ended up with the equivalent of about 14% in upgrades + money off the base price, a brand new build with first lot choice in a new section.
Pretty much every builder we were looking at was offering everyone X amount of dollars in upgrade money, which would basically take care of floors. Then we got an initial offer from TM with specific items and promos, and we countered with more, check in hand. Worked well for us. And with TM's top reputation, I knew it was a good deal. Different situation I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston