U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 PM

58 posts, read 114,785 times
Default Are u building new or buying inventory?

Good luck and welcome to our community! I'm in
Section 4 - Meritage. The Westin homes are
nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah2009 View Post
HELLO just saw this thread.. to the OP, are you Greg? hahahah

anyway, we are scheduled for design center next monday.. westin homes at WLN .. tuscany.. section 6 in front of the recreation center

i was pre approved for 3.5% down FHA loan 5.25 APR with Texas Mortgage.. i asked kevin to checked also other options for conventional loans... did u guys use conventional, what's your APR and what downpayment?

thanks,
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 AM

82 posts, read 323,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
As long as you understand that the pre-approval rate will have nothing to do with your actual rate since you are roughly 4-5 months from being able to lock in a rate...so you will watch the rates go up and down, just try and catch the wave as low as you can when the time comes.

Be sure to negotiate properly with Westin, they say one thing and do another...I learned this the hard way. I trusted their word to be true since, but watched a friend prove that to be wrong and feel like I was taken advantage of. I blame myself as well, but I would have liked to think that I could trust someone who I plan on spending over $300k with to build my family a home...guess not. So be careful, and negotiate carefully before you sign anything. Just my .02. Overall, I love the homes, and have had good dealings with both the project manager and the builder, just had some issues with Westin's sales team, Greg and Patrick (Greg's boss). Lots of "sorry you feel that way" comments, but I simply don't appreciate being lied to, wether they want to see it that way or not. For those of you signing, be sure to play hard ball.
Yeah I had a similar experience there with those guys. He gave me a set of prices and e-mailed them to me, obviously forgot about them and later told me completely different prices. For example, he substantially raised the price on my upgrades(higher level tile, granite, wrought iron, etc.) when he quoted me a lower base price for the home after incentives. Of course I didn't know this at the time, but when we actually got down to numbers he must have forgotten what he had already given me, but I let him go all the way through the process to see what his bottom line price would be. When it was all said and done, he quoted me a higher base price on the home after incentives, but my upgrades were mysteriously half of what he quoted me before. I concluded that since he felt I was getting over on the base price of the home that he was determined to make that money back elsewhere by significantly marking up my upgrades.

Be careful with that guy. That wasn't the only shady thing he did, but I'll stop there.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:37 PM

14 posts, read 34,773 times
Quote:
Be careful with that guy. That wasn't the only shady thing he did, but I'll stop there
Coach, why don't you share some more with us

We just got done with our design center trips and westin will start building our castlebrook within 2/3 weeks from now @SCR. So far, i have to go through a bit of a hassle to get information out of them but Patrick did give those to me. Also, i was ommitted information couple of times (which most of us will consider lie) and when i found out then it was too late and we were too into the process.

Westin told me that they build house that passes "Energy Star Rating" and i am really looking forward to the "score" that they will pass with. This should give me and you (after i share that with you all) a decent idea about the insulation and other materials that they use to build houses. Does anyone has done that ?? If you did then can you please share the score?/ Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM

428 posts, read 918,739 times
Patrick gave what to you? Ommiting information is uncalled for unless by shear accident, and I am very curious about your Energy Star score. Please share with us once you know. I know appliances make a pretty big difference as well.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 PM

17 posts, read 101,294 times
Default Westin & Energy Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhtown View Post

Westin told me that they build house that passes "Energy Star Rating" and i am really looking forward to the "score" that they will pass with. This should give me and you (after i share that with you all) a decent idea about the insulation and other materials that they use to build houses. Does anyone has done that ?? If you did then can you please share the score?/ Thanks
Hey SK,
I am not sure what Patrick told you about Westin and Energy Star Rating but the truth is that Westin does not build Energy Star Rated homes (with the exception of the Discovery at Spring Trails which the developer requires all builders in the development to build to Environments For Living certification, which is 2.5x more effecient than an energy star home, and just under LEED certification).

HOWEVER, sometimes...in some instances...some mortgage companies require homes that the client is purchasing to be Energy Star rated. In these cases (which has happened more than a few times) Westin calls up the Energy Star people, they come out and do thier tests, slap Westin with a 4-5 thousand dollar bill (which gets passed on to the buyers in some way, shape or form) and 100 times out of 100 times absolutely nothing needed to be done to the home to pass Energy Star requirements. Sometimes the sales people will say that the homes meet energy star requirements but neglect to inform the buyer that there is no energy star rating on the home, which I find very distasteful. But the fact still remains, you get an energy star performing home with out the cost associated with the Energy Star "branding". Make sure you clarify this with whomever told you that. Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:23 AM

43 posts, read 117,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector80 View Post
Hey SK,
I am not sure what Patrick told you about Westin and Energy Star Rating but the truth is that Westin does not build Energy Star Rated homes (with the exception of the Discovery at Spring Trails which the developer requires all builders in the development to build to Environments For Living certification, which is 2.5x more effecient than an energy star home, and just under LEED certification).

HOWEVER, sometimes...in some instances...some mortgage companies require homes that the client is purchasing to be Energy Star rated. In these cases (which has happened more than a few times) Westin calls up the Energy Star people, they come out and do thier tests, slap Westin with a 4-5 thousand dollar bill (which gets passed on to the buyers in some way, shape or form) and 100 times out of 100 times absolutely nothing needed to be done to the home to pass Energy Star requirements. Sometimes the sales people will say that the homes meet energy star requirements but neglect to inform the buyer that there is no energy star rating on the home, which I find very distasteful. But the fact still remains, you get an energy star performing home with out the cost associated with the Energy Star "branding". Make sure you clarify this with whomever told you that. Hope this helps.
Hi Inspector 80,
Per your comments regarding Discovery at Spring Trails: is the building process more time consuming than in another Westin Communities?
From your experience: how long does it take to build a new house in Westin Communities and how long could it take to build a new house in Discovery at ST?
Thank you in advance.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:33 AM

43 posts, read 117,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
I just contacted Kevin on Friday, I am waiting for Monday to see how dealing with him goes. I also went with a Valencia...such a better deal than the Castlebrook in my opinion. Good luck with your build, a friend of mine also just signed a contract with Westin to build a Versailles. I will let you know how it goes with Kevin once I know.
Hi lane_change,
I've chosen Wells Fargo mortgage ... WF customer!
Nevertheless Id appreciate your feedback.
Hope your new house will be built soon!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 34,773 times
Quote:
Patrick told me that westin builds energy star rated homes (costing me aorund $600) and I told him that i will certify the house before i get it and he agreed to it. And to verify that as well as cut down any confusion i went ahead and got my own inspector to certify the house.

So far i have asked them to give me the builder report ( where they say what insulation that they wil use and the uv rating for the glasses etc ) but they have told me that "WESTIN IS NOT SET UP TO GIVE ME THAT INFORMATION" In other words, westin is saying that they will build a house with materials that they cant tell their customers. But seems like Patrick is trying. I will keep you guys posted as it moves forward.

By the way, Todd, the builder is fantastic. He is well orgnized and friednly and knows what he is doing.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelinckx View Post
Hi Inspector 80,
Per your comments regarding Discovery at Spring Trails: is the building process more time consuming than in another Westin Communities?
From your experience: how long does it take to build a new house in Westin Communities and how long could it take to build a new house in Discovery at ST?
Thank you in advance.
Amelinckx,

Discovery at Spring Trails...wow...I would just like to congratulate you on being a pioneer in the Houston area and considering this new "Green" delvelopment! Houston is not normally known for "energy conservation" and "green building practices" but it looks like that might turn around thanks to Discovery.

If my information is correct, the building process should me similar to that of the other communities that Westin Homes builds in, however, there are some things that cause a few delays. For example, on top of the outside inspections they have throughout the building process by Burgess Inspections, Discovery at Spring Trails' homes also are required to be Environments For Living Certified which adds an additional 7 inspections to the process which might create construction delays of a few days.

The upside to this is that they certify that the Westin Home being built is green and uses no volitile organic chemicals anywhere in the home which means the home is a cleaner environement for you and your family. Second, they certify that the Westin Home being built is 2 1/2 times more efficient than an energy star rated home and they back it up! Again, if my information is correct, they give you a 3 year heating and cooling guarantee and if you pay over what they tell you that you will spend on heating and cooling...they will refund the difference! Plus you get the fridge and washer and dryer!

If I'm not mistaken, their guarantee on a 3654 sq ft home (i.e. the Valencia or Castlebrook I think) for heating and cooling is 138.00 per month!! Yes, 138.00 per month!! Who knew that building green could keep so much green in your pocket!

So have you been out there lately? I'm curious to know how it's coming along!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhtown View Post
Patrick told me that westin builds energy star rated homes (costing me aorund $600) and I told him that i will certify the house before i get it and he agreed to it. And to verify that as well as cut down any confusion i went ahead and got my own inspector to certify the house.

So far i have asked them to give me the builder report ( where they say what insulation that they wil use and the uv rating for the glasses etc ) but they have told me that "WESTIN IS NOT SET UP TO GIVE ME THAT INFORMATION" In other words, westin is saying that they will build a house with materials that they cant tell their customers. But seems like Patrick is trying. I will keep you guys posted as it moves forward.

By the way, Todd, the builder is fantastic. He is well orgnized and friednly and knows what he is doing.
Absolutely, Todd is an Excellent builder. I think we are just saying to be "cautious" of Patrick, he has been known to...well...I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston