Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
YOu mean here?

Estates at Promenade Sec 1 ???

Those seem to be the popular floor plans. They are nice.

They have another level , mainly larger in space , that are real nice. Look at Harmony Sec of 75 or Sterling Village.
We just looked up the Patterson model-elevation A with westin homes for promanede subdivision. We were offered 341k for a 4480 sqft house. We asked for a few modifications like a vent in the kitchen or maybe move the gas stove from the island to a side wall..but we were told we cannot make for any modifications ....they were not flexible at all....we were also told that we cannot these kind of changes at the design center also....we were offered 6% for incentives for upgrades/closing ...since they were not entertaining any changes, I am wondering what these incentives can be used for....with 20k I am wondering what all can be upgraded...I kinda feel that they might run those funds out with handles,knobs etc....is this normal with westin homes.????.

Last edited by jjsammy; 03-10-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,561,674 times
They aren't a custom builder.
They will make minor modifications at your cost, but major reroutes or structural modifications won't fly.
We spent 25k in upgrades at the design center. It goes by quickly.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 AM

302 posts, read 951,872 times
We have a Patterson, and we have a vent (came standard) from the range to the outside of the house. Trust me, $20k is nothing in upgrades, I think we spend $70-$80k and still feel like we are missing things, this is a big house after all...

A few of the things we did...
Upgraded lot
3rd car garage
Double doors in the entry way
French doors in the office
8" baseboards
Tall doors downstairs
Upgraded granite
Light package
Upgraded sinks
Upgraded to metal the stairs (sorry, 3am and I can't remember the name)

There are many things that you can do to this house...

Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,353,419 times
I regret not adding 8" baseboards, 3 car garage and adding more recessed lighting. Also, had I known, I would have asked them to add a second light switch in the bathroom, as well as adding one inside of the closet. Our walk in closet lights are accessed from the bathroom, but is also connected to our laundry room which leads to the front of the house. Nothing major, but still a bit annoying. Oh, back gutters are not standard...I regret not opting for those as well.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM

gutters are like $300-$400 afterwards

Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM

I have gotten a few quotes for the gutters on the patterson, and that's more in the $1000-$1100 range... it's for both the sides as well as the back of the house...

8" baseboards shouldn't be that big of deal... 3rd card garage... you are sol... ... As far as the lighting... I had a guy in the house the other day that told me he would be able to add more recessed lighting if I needed it... Planning on having him over at some point in the near future to add a few spots over the bar in the kitchen as well as center the one on the breakfast nook...

So far we have been very pleased with our Westin homes, just wished they didn't use the cheapest lightbulbs on the market... These things are supposed to be good for 7 years, we have been here only 7 months and I can't even count now how many I have replaced already...

Looking forward to adding a few new things to the house in the coming months... shutters, gutters, new floors (Travertine & Hardwood) then outside... patio, outside kitchen, and eventually a pool...

Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM

i'll get the # from the guy. he quoted me 300$ for the rear only. we have a barcelona.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,353,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
I have gotten a few quotes for the gutters on the patterson, and that's more in the $1000-$1100 range... it's for both the sides as well as the back of the house...

8" baseboards shouldn't be that big of deal... 3rd card garage... you are sol... ... As far as the lighting... I had a guy in the house the other day that told me he would be able to add more recessed lighting if I needed it... Planning on having him over at some point in the near future to add a few spots over the bar in the kitchen as well as center the one on the breakfast nook...

So far we have been very pleased with our Westin homes, just wished they didn't use the cheapest lightbulbs on the market... These things are supposed to be good for 7 years, we have been here only 7 months and I can't even count now how many I have replaced already...

Looking forward to adding a few new things to the house in the coming months... shutters, gutters, new floors (Travertine & Hardwood) then outside... patio, outside kitchen, and eventually a pool...
Hehe, yeah, most of our original bulbs are sitting in a box in the garage. I added Lutron dimmers throughout most of the first floor...I hate not being able to control the light. A negative to that is that the CFL bulbs which are green and save $$, do not work with dimmer switches (there are a few that do work, but cost around $15 per bulb... ridiculous). I've replaced most of our living area lighting to filament bulbs because of this. Ambiance is so much better. We want to extend out our patio another 5 feet or so and have a pergola placed on it with a retention wall at the end...seen some really neat configurations with some of our neighbors. If I find a decent contractor, I'll post it on here, or you can come by and check the work out when your free.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 11,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
We have a Patterson, and we have a vent (came standard) from the range to the outside of the house. Trust me, $20k is nothing in upgrades, I think we spend $70-$80k and still feel like we are missing things, this is a big house after all...

A few of the things we did...
Upgraded lot
3rd car garage
Double doors in the entry way
French doors in the office
8" baseboards
Tall doors downstairs
Upgraded granite
Light package
Upgraded sinks
Upgraded to metal the stairs (sorry, 3am and I can't remember the name)

There are many things that you can do to this house...
Wow...the sales guy was dead no against the vent and surprisingly they let you add the 3rd car garage.......was it done by westin or did you use ur own contractor later......how much did that cost you...Also we havent had a chance to goto the design center yet...if we go there will they be able to give us a list of what all comes in standard with the patterson model and what all are the available options...that way we can have an idea to figure out how much these upgrades will cost if done by westin vs an outside contractor....things are so vague right now thats why we havent signed the contract yet....

Last edited by jjsammy; 03-11-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM

I built in Cardiff Ranch, I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I would definitively tell the sales guy to check with the home office because they do it at Cardiff Ranch at no additional cost, and this wasn't an easy fit, they actually put a PVC pipe before laying the foundation, so that the air gets sucked out from the vent, runs through the foundation and out through a wall...

3rd car garage was through Westin, $10K... This is something that if you want you should do through them, the house is usually centered on your lot, so if you don't get it, you probably won't be able to put it by yourself afterwards... you would have to move a lot of stuff, in my case I would have to move ac units, water pipes... etc... not something you want to do on your own after the fact...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting a contractor to do stuff cheaper after the fact, but I wouldn't do this...

We got 2 visits to the design center, first one was over 4 hours, very frustrating, lady didn't know anything... second one went more smooth... about 3 hours... there are so many options that is almost impossible for them to pinpoint everything that is or is not included, my advice is to go with what you want, on the first visit get everything you want, they will give you a total, put together a spreadsheet, and then you can add or substract as needed.

In my opinion, Westin has a superior products with their floorplans and quality of work, but their support staff (including sales) leaves a lot to be desired...

Also, if you are using a realtor, make sure you have their info before you sign anything, otherwise you wont get any money. We were able to work out a deal with a realtor to sell our old house and buy the new one. Basically we paid 6% on the sale of the old house but got 3% back on the purchase of the new one, so it cost us less than 3% to sell the old one... (we worked it out as getting 1.5% back on the sale of the old one and 1.5% on the purchase of the new one) because the price different was significant between the old and the new house...

What worked out better for us was to visit exisiting models of the patterson (there was one under construction in our neighborhood when we were going through the process) we walked it several times and were able to tell what we liked and what we didn't.. We also visited other communities where westin had a model to check it out...

We used to have 2 pattersons for sale in our neighborhood, but now they are both gone...

Good luck... and if you have any other questions, just let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston