U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 AM

35 posts, read 61,020 times

Advertisements

TX Mommy, you got an amazing deal, I have no clue how you did it. We were told they can not budge from the base price, but can negotiate incentive money.

Our foundation was just poured on Friday, so our build is moving along. We are excited!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 AM

681 posts, read 1,023,210 times
WHAT ! I asked Blake, we would buy and he said they can't sell lower than the base price.

IS this a inventory home ?

We went to Northcrest Village instead and decided to build there because we couldn't get a home in Discovery due to the base price.

We were able to get 9% incentive instead of 8%.

Just had our Design Center meeting this past Friday. We are finalizing items and will probably have the pre-construction meeting in about 2-3 weeks.

Well regardless Blake seems pretty cool, he works out at the same gym I do and he says Hi and asks about my new purchase in the other neighborhood.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:02 PM

17 posts, read 31,532 times
Has anyone bought a westin home in Summerwood?? Wondering if they are a good builder and if the electric bill is lower??

Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Lower than where?
The lowest will probably be in Discovery if you are looking at Westin.

I'm building in Northcrest, we made sure to get the radiant barrier and are upgrading the insulation to R38/R15 for a little help.

I know Blake is the salesman in Summerwood, he can answer all your question. Tell him Armando referred you.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:05 PM

5 posts, read 11,350 times
Hey Guys this has been great help for the Westin home we are thinking of building. I am having a real issue with all the upgrades / extra money that other builders in the area have a standards. Can someone please advise on how to get better deals?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 PM

433 posts, read 985,706 times
Standard or Upgrade doesn't matter....what matters is the bottom line. You paid X amount of dollars and got what? If Westin has a lower entry price but more expensive upgrades, or if Meritage has a higher entry price and includes more as standard. You just have to see what you get for the money. Price per sq/ft, size of lot, and features. Compare them apples to apples, not standards to standards. Westin to me was the better deal for what I was looking for and I prefer their aesthetics better than the other builders. I think their layouts flow better, they have more bay windows, arches, design features, use of space, etc...but you just need to see what is best for you and figure out your bottom line. Don't get confused with the standards vs. upgrade debate, it won't get you anywhere.

Do however negotiate hard with Westin, they are very firm on their prices and will tell you no a lot, or we don't do that, we don't negotiate on builds, blah, blah, blah....they do. Just play hard ball and you will get more incentive money for upgrades.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM

184 posts, read 263,903 times
Guys

We are planning to build in western home(Castlebrook) in Reserve at Brazos Town center(Rosenberg). Can anybody share their experience builder there?. They are offering 238 base price with 8% upgrade.I'm definitely try to negoicate this price.

I'm also wondering folks leaving in 38 sq/ft house what is their average electric bill in summer?

thanks
sullah

Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispris View Post
Hey Guys this has been great help for the Westin home we are thinking of building. I am having a real issue with all the upgrades / extra money that other builders in the area have a standards. Can someone please advise on how to get better deals?
See Below...
If you need specifics on build features or quality , feel free to PM or post in this thread. I'm pretty versed in their process. My homes foundation was just poured 2 days ago, framing should commence soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_change View Post
Standard or Upgrade doesn't matter....what matters is the bottom line. You paid X amount of dollars and got what? If Westin has a lower entry price but more expensive upgrades, or if Meritage has a higher entry price and includes more as standard. You just have to see what you get for the money. Price per sq/ft, size of lot, and features. Compare them apples to apples, not standards to standards. Westin to me was the better deal for what I was looking for and I prefer their aesthetics better than the other builders. I think their layouts flow better, they have more bay windows, arches, design features, use of space, etc...but you just need to see what is best for you and figure out your bottom line. Don't get confused with the standards vs. upgrade debate, it won't get you anywhere.

Do however negotiate hard with Westin, they are very firm on their prices and will tell you no a lot, or we don't do that, we don't negotiate on builds, blah, blah, blah....they do. Just play hard ball and you will get more incentive money for upgrades.
Totally agree with the above. Westin tends to offer a good starting price, which mostly includes typical features in terms of build quality and finishes. Most of their price is based on their design, which is what makes them a little different, we saw them as the only affordable luxury aesthetics builder. If you like the flow, design, feel of the home. NEGOTIATE your incentive money. I've visited 5 Westin communites with 5 different salesman, and 8% was the norm, couldn't sell below base price (which is good, because it keeps the value of your home at least at that value). Depending on how good that neighborhood is doing, also which floor plan you choose, and time of the month. We were able to get 9% instead of 8% as initially offered. We tried at 10% first, but it was rejected. Currently at the neighborhood I'm buying in, they are doing 7% , but they give you level 1 granite in the kitchen, master bath, 2 secondary bathrooms, rounded corners, under-mount sink @ kitchen, and iron spindles in the staircase (not the landings). Which comes out to be much more than 1% difference in the promotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullah View Post
Guys

We are planning to build in western home(Castlebrook) in Reserve at Brazos Town center(Rosenberg). Can anybody share their experience builder there?. They are offering 238 base price with 8% upgrade.I'm definitely try to negotiate this price.

I'm also wondering folks leaving in 38 sq/ft house what is their average electric bill in summer?

thanks
sullah
You can try to negotiate the base price, not sure if there will be much wiggle room there. you can definitely negotiate the incentive %

i talked to a future neighbor and he has a silverstone (4,000 sq ft ) said he runs the a/c day and nite at 73 and his bill came out to roughly 300$, few kids as well. not sure what other factors are in his home. but i know my inlaws have a 3000 sq ft home, a/c stays at 75 and bills comes shy of 400$.

we upgraded the insulation on the exteior walls and roof in order to help it out a bit. we also picked a lot where the sun wouldn't shine all day. you can also upgrade the windows to vinyl to help out with the energy efficiency.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 11,350 times
Okay thanks for the help guys, we are working on it as much as we can... I will say with Westin on the spindles you can get them done after the fact for 2k. I got quoted already. What we currently need is more incentive money and we would sign. Does anyone have advise as of to get this???? Currently we are 8% but we are doing a lot upgrade that is going to cost 10k so we really need more incentive money to cover more of the home upgrades and the media room is a big chunk of that money.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispris View Post
Okay thanks for the help guys, we are working on it as much as we can... I will say with Westin on the spindles you can get them done after the fact for 2k. I got quoted already. What we currently need is more incentive money and we would sign. Does anyone have advise as of to get this???? Currently we are 8% but we are doing a lot upgrade that is going to cost 10k so we really need more incentive money to cover more of the home upgrades and the media room is a big chunk of that money.
really you got a 2k quote ? SOB
We paid almost 6K for our spindles, but that was because the top floor has a lot of landings that come with sheetrock. My wife didn't want the sheetrock and i didn't feel like dealing with it after we moved in, so we got it thru them.

there isn't much to asking for the higher incentive. Just talk to them, tell them you know what we really want to purchase with you, however we have a comparable offer from a different builder, and they are giving us what we feel is a better deal. Then say we are willing to sign with Westin, if Westin can give us 9% / 10% versus the 8%.

Have your earnest money in hand, and show that you are ready to do it on the spot. If you don't have the check in hand, then don't bother, you have to show serious intent and use that as your leverage. Put on your game face and ask for it, that's pretty much it.

or you could walk in aggressive and just tell the sales person, we'll buy the home, here is my earnest money, HOWEVER i need to get more incentive in order to afford the home.

Because the sales person doesn't know if you want it for just upgrades, or if you want it for closing , etc... you can say i need it for closing and you want to be able to do X amount of things to the home, but wont' have closing money, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston