U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2008, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 20,553 times
Default cost of living in houston compared to new jersey

Hello!

My husband and I are preparing to relocate from New Jersey w/in the next eighteen months...as soon as he gets out of the service. We simply can't afford to live here, and with a baby on the way, we want to be able to buy a nice house for a reasonable price. We're looking at a bunch of different areas, but Houston has stood out to us b/c my husband has roots here.

My husband was born in Houston, but he hasn't been back in a while. We've been looking at real estate, and the housing prices are really good, but I'm curious about the overall cost of living differential between Houston and New Jersey. Any former Jerseyans in the area with input/advice? Is it significantly cheaper? My husband wants to become a police officer, but he is also trained as an aircraft mechanic. I adjunct at a community college and would like to continue to do so while getting my PhD. Would moving to Houston save us money?

Thanks so much for the information!
Lindsay

Last edited by lindsaybeth; 11-21-2008 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM

8,801 posts, read 14,372,567 times
Depends where you live. West Side Corridor entry price is 450,000 for a tear down ranch.

The burbs, 50 minute commute on a good day, cheap. But they give you these tiny little lots with two trees. :/

Just like Jersey, you pay more for location.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:25 PM

175 posts, read 508,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaybeth View Post
Hello!

My husband and I are preparing to relocate from New Jersey w/in the next eighteen months...as soon as he gets out of the service. We simply can't afford to live here, and with a baby on the way, we want to be able to buy a nice house for a reasonable price. We're looking at a bunch of different areas, but Houston has stood out to us b/c my husband has roots here.

My husband was born in Houston, but he hasn't been back in a while. We've been looking at real estate, and the housing prices are really good, but I'm curious about the overall cost of living differential between Houston and New Jersey. Any former Jerseyans in the area with input/advice? Is it significantly cheaper? My husband wants to become a police officer, but he is also trained as an aircraft mechanic. I adjunct at a community college and would like to continue to do so while getting my PhD. Would moving to Houston save us money?

Thanks so much for the information!
Lindsay
Here's a pretty good link. Cost of Living comparison calculator
You can see several more by Googling "cost of living".

Old 11-23-2008, 06:27 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,175,212 times
I'm a former Philadelphia and I say it's definately cheaper. Certainly housing is, we love living in Katy. Groceries are cheaper, gas is cheaper, and services such as dry cleaning, house cleaning, and daycare have been all cheaper in our experience. I was suprised to see even some national chains such as McDonalds or Panera Bread have slightly cheaper prices on the same food items here.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,364 times
I moved with my wife and my two colleage student sons from NJ to Houston about a year ago. We loved it and will never look back. Younger son only problem is leaving behind a girlfriend. In NJ, both my wife and I have to work hard to pay off the bills. Now we live in a much nicer home and my wife does not have to work.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM

176 posts, read 472,845 times
Lindsay,

A great resource for checking home prices is har.com. It's the local realty web site and you can search for houses all kinds of ways. They even have a map feature where you can zoom in on particular parts of town to look for homes for sale.

I think you will find home prices here are VERY reasonable, especially if you don't mind living out a little ways, say 20-30 minutes from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston