Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:07 PM

77 posts, read 368,612 times

Advertisements

Do yourself a favor and hire a Phase Inspector. S/He is an independent third party inspector that works for you and will tell you how they see it. Make sure you get one with the proper certifications. Now, I'm not saying that the City Inspector is bad, but they do have lots of homes to look at and may not always find things. Sure you'd pay for the service, but if you plan on staying in your home for the long haul, the peace of mind is priceless IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 03:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
This is called finger joint studs.

No such thing as a finger joint stud. Finger jointing is only done on non structural board lengths like trim and moldings.

Yesman has the correct answer here. I also like his idea of going with the Building Inspector to do the framing inspection. These inspections are usually done with the Job Super too. I would only wonder if they would have patience to answer a homeowners questions. I know for a fact the framers will have no patience for your questions. The Job Super has to swallow and smile for you, it's his job. Be polite and nice to him and Im sure he will contact you on the inspection day so you can be there. But I can tell you that Building Inspectors do not use the clock. Only a specific day. So you might be there waiting all day long for him to show up.

Your builder is just fine. I have no idea what you were trying to describe and suspect all the guesses were not what you were describing. But sleep easy, your home will get built according to code.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,596,839 times
Hope this helps.
http://www.ufpi.com/product/fjstud/index.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
No such thing as a finger joint stud. Finger jointing is only done on non structural board lengths like trim and moldings.

Yesman has the correct answer here. I also like his idea of going with the Building Inspector to do the framing inspection. These inspections are usually done with the Job Super too. I would only wonder if they would have patience to answer a homeowners questions. I know for a fact the framers will have no patience foryour questions. The Job Super has to swallow and smile for you, it's his job. Be polite and nice to him and Im sure he will contact you on the inspection day so you can be there. But I can tell you that Building Inspectors do not use the clock. Only a specific day. So you might be there waiting all day long for him to show up.

Your builder is just fine. I have no idea what you were trying to describe and suspect all the guesses were not what you were describing. But sleep easy, your home will get built according to code.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Very interesting. Thanks for the link. My only answer is in more then 30 years in the home building business I have never ever seen any builder using them. Although BOCA and other code enforcement agencies seem to approve of these FJ studs according to the link I dont think I ever heard of a Code Enforcement Official who ever even heard of them.

I doubt I would be afraid of them in home construction. I just never heard of them. And I worked with even the cheapest of builders who would save a penny per stud of they could.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 AM

214 posts, read 724,938 times
Interesting reading, thanks for everyones input!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 AM

They are much stronger than your traditional stud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for the link. My only answer is in more then 30 years in the home building business I have never ever seen any builder using them. Although BOCA and other code enforcement agencies seem to approve of these FJ studs according to the link I dont think I ever heard of a Code Enforcement Official who ever even heard of them.

I doubt I would be afraid of them in home construction. I just never heard of them. And I worked with even the cheapest of builders who would save a penny per stud of they could.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:13 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
Quote:
They are much stronger than your traditional stud.
until you drive screw in there to hang a heavy mirror

Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 AM

How heavy?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:58 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
Quote:
How heavy?
well the issue is the size of the screw really. a standard lag screw to mount a flatscreen tv is probably about 1/4 to 1/2 in thick. wedge that into a glued joint and it will separate the joint.
BTW if you have a cheap standard pine stud and a premium stud (theyre lighter and looks perfect) handy, try to drive a 1/8-1/4 thick screw in it, somewhere near the edge. I bet you the more expensive one will crack first. this is the main reason i stick to the standard one, they can take alot of stress and I can make strong reliable joints (for built ins and custom seating)

Old 11-26-2008, 01:21 PM

214 posts, read 724,938 times
You should drill out the stud before driving a 1/4-1/2 lag bolt into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: