Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times

Advertisements

Hi -
I am so not in my comfort zone with this stuff... I see that my mother's coupon for the $40 off the box expires TOMORROW so I need to make a fast decision on buying something, and maybe my best bet is online?

I did print out the Consumer Reports list (updated Nov. 08) but of course most brick and mortar stores don't stock the top-rated ones. I did see two on the list at Target but they were in the second-tier of ratings: a Venturer STB7766G and the GE22730 (coupon + $20.) Then I was reading reviews on the Best Buy forum and see stuff that I never even considered, such as a unit "runs very hot", though maybe that is normal?
e.g. this was said about the ApexDT250...

The CR chart is a tad confusing because all the top rated ones are not starred as having a universal remote control with the unit, but I thought ALL of these boxes come with a remote???

Anyway...I guess the question is: do the differences REALLY matter that much?? My mom and sister live in a senior housing complex and it seems they have cable, but a guy whose mom is there says the non-cable-paying people get it from an antenna, so I don't know. My sister already bought a converter (an RCA) and got this guy to hook it up but she says it doesn't work with the remote...I thought if you had a box it would work now (as opposed to waiting until next Feb??? Me so confused...)

But essential question is: I have to buy something by tomorrow, so any recommendations please? Either box model or standard retailer or best online source (there are DOZENS on the official gov list) appreciated!!!

Tstone, this means you (and of course anyone else!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
The RCA model sold at Wal-Mart is pretty good. I bought 2 of them and used one extensively during the Ike time period due to a cable outtage. The Wal-mart model requires coupon + only $10. Problem is availability. They are sometimes difficult to locate in stock as they sell fast.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
I have the Insignia one from Best Buy, paid $20 with the coupon ... works great. I think it's more user friendly than the RCA version.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,348,610 times
Thanks, gentlemen!
In the meantime I did a little more research and the Zenith DTT901 got very good reviews online and has _everything_ in the box (i.e. no need to run out for a cable.) I dealt with Circuit City and their discrete phone # for all DTV converter sales -- I had an actual native English speaker in Virginia who was extremely helpful and nice; he said he has this unit himself. Tstone it apparently is a mfr "sibling" of the Insignia model you got, which also had good ratings. I also had to add about $20 but I think it will be well worth it. If it works out, then there's an additional coupon for another TV in the family w/o a cable hookup....

Appreciate the replies! Thanks again.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:27 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
Yes, I believe the Insignia box is built by Zenith, so they are probably virtually identical.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
I bought 2 GE's at Target - seems to work just great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston