Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 06:38 AM

4 posts, read 17,435 times

Advertisements

I have been given the chance to work in Tomball, TX or New Orleans and would like to know what people who have lived in the Houston area and New Orleans area have to say about each place. Such as youth and adult sports leagues, parks, outdoor/indoor family activities, weather, neighborhood friendliness, schools.... Any and all feedback will be appreciated......Is one safer than the other really? Cost of food, utilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 AM

407 posts, read 1,735,773 times
I live barely outside the Tomball city limits to the south and my kids attend Tomball ISD. Tomball is a smallish town NW of Houston. Considered a suburb (or exburb by some) of Houston and many people live in Tomball and commute into Houston. Tomball is a town in it's own right with a mayor, a city council and police force. There's even a small private airport that the city if trying to buy. There are many youth sports leagues but I wouldn't know about the adult leagues. It has lots of parks, very friendly, good schools, low crime. Weather is the same as Houston. If you're working in Tomball, you'd have a lot of choices of places to live including the Woodlands to the east, Klein to the south east and Cypress to the south west but there are many nice subdivisions within Tomball too. There's also Magnolia to the north. It's more rural with many homes on acreage lots with horses and livestock. I don't know anything about NOLA but I could answer any questions about Tomball if you need more info.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 17,435 times
Thanks that does help. It would be nice to have a place with an acre or so. The more I read the more it seems Tomball is the place for families, with lower crime and better public schools....

Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Didn't New Orleans just get named the most dangerous city in America?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Didn't New Orleans just get named the most dangerous city in America?
It has often been named that, but New Orleans is structured like Houston in that there are safer areas outside the city proper and suburbs like Metairie for families not into city living. They have a city vs. suburb thing going on there, too. The city itself appeared to have far more random violent crime than Houston's Inner Loop when I lived there.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 AM

142 posts, read 999,217 times
I'm originally from Chicago and lived in Covington/mandeville Louisiana for about a year. It is on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain. I am now in Spring, just south of the woodlands (near Tomball). I would pick Tomball hands down over NOLA. Not being from the south, I felt like an outsider in NOLA. I feel right at home here in Texas. I never felt like LA was a place I could imagine raising our kids, however, I have no problem here. We plan on living here for a long, long time.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:12 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Another consideration...Tomball is well above sea level. You do not have to worry about levees breaking and I'm sure HO insurance will be lower. Not saying you can't get any type of flooding, but well....

Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Another good thing about Tomball is the scenery. The pine woods and rolling terrain just to the north near Magnolia.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
...They have a city vs. suburb thing going on there, too. ...

You mean the city people in NOLA have the city vs suburb grudge thing going on? If my experience & these boards are any indication, it's definitely what goes on here. (I'm also starting to also deduce that Atlanta can be the same way.) The more broke they are, the more they grudge.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:11 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
You mean the city people in NOLA have the city vs suburb grudge thing going on? If my experience & these boards are any indication, it's definitely what goes on here. (I'm also starting to also deduce that Atlanta can be the same way.) The more broke they are, the more they grudge.
No, it goes both ways. The suburban people think the city is dirty, unsafe, and too packed with undesirables, and can't fathom why anyone would ever want to live there, while the city people think the suburbs are boring, bland, and sterile, and can't fathom why anyone would ever want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston