Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times

Advertisements

I was driving through bellaire and then through a smal part of W. University; and i started to see these signs up about stopping some highrise called ashbury.

They're big ugly yellow signs at almost every house; what is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
A big, ugly highrise that is going up in the area that will cause traffic headaches. The big, ugly signs have been around over a year now. Almost makes you wonder which is the worst offender.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 AM

809 posts, read 3,569,859 times
Here's a website with more info:

Stop the Ashby High Rise
Stop the Ashby High Rise: stopashbyhighrise.org

It looks like the project is on hold. I don't blame them for keeping the signs up considering the issue is not resolved.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
I especially like seeing all of the BMWs and Mercedes with massive yellow bumper stickers telling us to stop the Ashby highrise. As if the rest of us (1) care, or (2) sympathize with them.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
I think i can see where this animosity is coming from; the fact that this community is so quiet and peaceful yet so very close to the city is why there would be an inclination for a developer to put up a highrise in that area. And of course the single family owners of that neighborhood would rather keep their suburbia bubble.

Its kind of unique to houston how these little suburbia's have been established and been brought up so close to all the hustle and bustle.

Im pretty sure there will be many more battles that this neighborhood will be going through as Houston is making a more urban environment around downtown.(thank god!)

Old 12-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
i dont know about traffic but i think the building casting its shadow or sunbeams reflecting from its windows would be an issue for me especially if my property has a backyard. it is a good place to put up a highrise community tho.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,147 times
The Ashby high rise would clog Bissonet and make Kirby even worse. Also block sunlight to many backyards. I wouldnt want it in my backyard. But this is a city with no zoning.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
The people I have talked to in the area are definitely opposed to it. The public reason is that it is not on a main thoroughfare and would cause major traffic headaches. The private reason is they are scared it will start a domino efftec in their neighborhood and quickly turn into an area dominated by midrises and highrises as property owners sell their properties one by one. It would completely change the neighborhood. The location is situated in between downtown, the med center, and the galleria. They feel that is their neighborhood goes and effectively connects the med center and downtown skylines, Houston will lose one of its older (and wealthier) inner loop neighborhoods. It's somewhat of a culture war, amusing nonetheless. And I agree with the previous poster that I would not want it next to me if I lived there and also the irony of the luxury vehicles with the bumper stickers. As if anyone else really cares.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
The Ashby high rise would clog Bissonet and make Kirby even worse. Also block sunlight to many backyards. I wouldnt want it in my backyard. But this is a city with no zoning.
The traffic argument is silly. This is a luxury highrise, and not even all that "high." Last I checked, this development had under 150 units. So assuming 2 cars per unit, plus the usual delivery drivers (who already use these streets), and staff cars (many of whom take the bus anyway), and you are talking about a negligible impact on Kirby and Bissonnet.

I am not for or against the highrise, but River Oaks/Upper Kirby suvived the Huntingdon, and Southhampton can survive the Ashby.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Those same people who don't want the structure blocking their sunlight had no problems tearing down the original one story homes to build their multistory homes and block out the light of others, also forcing older people out of their homes because of property value increases.

This reminds me of the homeowners off HWY 59 who built mansions next to the railroad tracks, then complained that the trains made too much noise and wanted the tracks removed. Seems like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 12-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston