U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 PM

395 posts, read 634,123 times
Default How awesome is the Woodlands? Market street????

Tell me about these places. Anyone have pictures of market street? Is Market the best area to spend a day in December shopping eating etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 PM

5,091 posts, read 6,825,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Tell me about these places. Anyone have pictures of market street? Is Market the best area to spend a day in December shopping eating etc?
Market Street is nice. If you live in Montgomery County or Northern Harris County I would definitely recommend it. The movie theater is really nice and they have a few good places to eat like Johnny Rockets. The shopping is not that great but you can walk across the street to the mall and they have plenty of stores to shop at. If you want to eat somewhere better than Johnny Rockets there are a few nice restaurants along the Waterway. I used to go there a lot but now that I live in Houston I much prefer Rice Village.

http://www.marketstreet-thewoodlands.com/

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM

530 posts, read 1,294,408 times
Market Street is just like all the other towncenters they're building in every U.S. suburb. Nice, though. It's the 21st century version of a mall.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 PM

684 posts, read 1,331,268 times
Jasper's is fabulous for outside dining atmosphere, awesome food...pricey but for the occasional special night out...definitely worth it...don't miss the blue cheese chips.....mmmmmmmm

Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 AM

530 posts, read 1,294,408 times
I saw a similar towncenter development (outdoor mall), in Plainfield, Indiana last week when visiting family. I've also seen them in Ft. Worth and I guess we know they have one in Sugar Land (the first in the Houston area), Pearland, and Memorial. I want to say they may have one in Clear Lake, but I've not been there in a while other than to drive through.

There are normally some neat stores. I don't find meandering around and browsing to be as much fun, though. It's hot and humid in the summer... who wants to sweat? In the winter here it's usually wet and cool and sometimes "wet cold" which is much worse than dry cold, so unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the Sharper Image store, you have to brave the weather to find the next stop. If the weather is nice, though, it's a good experience. Some of the restaurants are good, but pricey.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 AM

8,801 posts, read 14,384,180 times
Highland Village and Rice Village would be the first in the area. It wasn't a "planned and built in a year" situation, but it's very much a towncenter atmosphere.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:02 AM

7,663 posts, read 17,116,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
I saw a similar towncenter development (outdoor mall), in Plainfield, Indiana last week when visiting family. I've also seen them in Ft. Worth and I guess we know they have one in Sugar Land (the first in the Houston area), Pearland, and Memorial. I want to say they may have one in Clear Lake, but I've not been there in a while other than to drive through.

Not aware of a town center in Clear Lake. My Houston side to the north is residential and there's really no room for growth. League City way to the south and doesn't have anything like that. That leaves Webster in the middle, and it's basically the centralized shopping district but nothing more. A town center could probably be put there, I guess, right along Clear Creek. Not that I'd be a fan of that happening. IMO we don't need another one of these fake downtowns that scream 'generic suburb' that's desperately trying to build character. The Clear Lake/Bay Area is unique in many ways and has a character of its own without such a place.

But I guess the closest thing to a town center is the Kemah boardwalk area, but it's about as un-centrally located as you can get.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 34,874 times
I think if you live in the area, it's a nice place to meander around and is very similar to other outdoor "malls" of this type around the country that I've been to (the Forum in Carlsbad, CA and Kierland Commons in Scottsdale - now THAT one is great IMO). I think the shopping choices are pretty limited at the Market Street though.

I did go with my DH, children & cousins Friday evening after Thanksgiving - it was nice to see the lights, walk around, have a coffee & look at the Jasper's menu while watching the kids run around the huge Christmas tree. But honestly, I have a better time at the Market Street HEB than in the actual shopping center.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 AM

130 posts, read 281,531 times
I have a couple of pictures of Town Center. Guess I have not put Market Street on the blog yet. I just put it on my list of things to do. Blog articles in the About Town section (main photo is on the Waterway: About Town in The Woodlands. Part of the WoodlandsCommentary.com. Scroll down to the bottom to see one part of Town Center (our downtown where Market Street is also located).

Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 PM

8,801 posts, read 14,384,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleFuelFan View Post
Yes, Market Street is very nice - an outdoor mall with an urban flair. The mall has a small park in the center with a kid friendly fountain area.
The Woodlands Texas Online Events - Woodlands FAQ

Urban Flare? You're kidding right? Maybe "Back to the Future Movie Set Flare," but its so very far from urban. PS- The shops, other than Sur la Table, are very middle of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston