U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 PM

135 posts, read 444,199 times
If you guys have times , please read it and advise me for the upgrades I am going to take

Items
1. Entrance Door - I am not yet sure what i want - Assume I will spend on the upgrade $350
2. Peep Hole - If it is a Mahogany light door, I wont take this, If its a solid door, I will add this $50
3. Full metal spindles - $4000 - I want this - Can I do it outside from the contractor? They have to come and they have to remove the walls, and then install this....Does it worth to go with builder?
4. 2 Step Crown Molding - family room - Masterbed room - I really liked this for masterbed, I dont know how it looks for family room - Anyone has experience with this for Family room? - $695
5. Kitchen cabinets - I want to take Maple wood - $1700 - (42" is standard size)
6. Full tiles - entry till kitchen till breakfast & master bath - 16X16 - diagonal - $3895 - Does it worth it buy from builder - I really need this
7. Kitchen counter tops - $1725 with edge - i have to take it
8. Kitchen backsplash tiles - I have to take $300

I am happy with the Moen Eva faucets right now, may be after years I will buy items from china and install it by myself.
My future projects are - no 1. Water sprinkler system no 2. Changing all light switches 3. Covered patio 4.Water fountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 10:02 PM

109 posts, read 359,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieFuelling View Post
I've sold real estate in Katy for 19 years. Usually, you are not given an introduction to the Design Center until all your paperwork has been signed except for upgrades. You may have an upgrade "allowance" and cannot exceed that unless you want to pay high dollar. Everyone is correct, there is no negotiating at the Design Center. Many builders won't negotiate at all, however, that is changing in our economic climate. I'm closing new construction next week and the builder "rolled over" on quite a few items. Good Luck!
I've made preview appointments with clients lots of times. It's called a "visitor's pass". Some will merely allow you to go in and browse, while others (for e.g. Newmark/Trophy Homes/Frederick Harris) will actually allow me to schedule appointments with my "favorite" designers.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:21 AM

3,502 posts, read 6,839,959 times
Its best to get things from the builder that would require a big hassle to replace later like flooring. Something like Crown Molding you can do yourself or hire someone to do for cheaper than the builder's price.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM

132 posts, read 359,387 times
"its close to landfill or what I dont know...."
I sincerely wish you really do know that!!
Biscayne Bay is meritage homes and is close to Landfill eventhough its not THAT close to pelican shores/eden cove. If you are a frequent visitor, you may have seen a post recently from another member who bought a perry at edencove and was FORCED to give the keys (of a brand new home)to the bank since no one wanted to buy even at a price significantly less than the purchase price. If I remember correctly, he and his family had some health issues while lving there due to landfill. IMO, price should not be the only factor while deciding.

Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomebuyer80 View Post
I booked it on Biscayne Bay, its close to landfill or what I dont know, But everybody warned me about that; I was not able to take that into my mind because, Price was cheaper compared to cinco ranch and sienna plantation. And I have 3 friends living there.

Last edited by Houston456; 12-05-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston456 View Post
"its close to landfill or what I dont know...."
I sincerely wish you really do know that!!
Biscayne Bay is meritage homes and is close to Landfill eventhough its not THAT close to pelican shores/eden cove. If you are a frequent visitor, you

Good luck!!
I mean, I know about it completely. I didnt take that much into my mind during the selection of community. I was looking in Cinco Ranch, Sienna plantation, Telfair , SCR - out of all these SCR is cheaper price.

I beleive its too late to decide, I really liked the community and commute is good for me, friends are living in the same community, my kids in the future will have good friends circle. So i decided this area.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 AM

109 posts, read 359,135 times
Quote:
If you guys have times , please read it and advise me for the upgrades I am going to take
Items
1. Entrance Door - I am not yet sure what i want - Assume I will spend on the upgrade $350
2. Peep Hole - If it is a Mahogany light door, I wont take this, If its a solid door, I will add this $50
3. Full metal spindles - $4000 - I want this - Can I do it outside from the contractor? They have to come and they have to remove the walls, and then install this....Does it worth to go with builder? - Are you upgrading from a sheetrocked 1/2 wall? I would not recommend going back later to tear down sheetrock to reframe a staircase for spindles. That would be labor-intensive and costly, as it would also entail adding stair treads/risers, balusters (which are added one by one), and of course the handrail and handrail fittings. IMO if that is what you really want, it is best to have the builder do it so they can keep the staircase area open during framing. How many linear feet of iron spindles/railing are we talking about?
4. 2 Step Crown Molding - family room - Masterbed room - I really liked this for masterbed, I dont know how it looks for family room - Anyone has experience with this for Family room? - $695 - Crown molding trim is very cheap and easy to install.
5. Kitchen cabinets - I want to take Maple wood - $1700 - (42" is standard size) - This is another item that would be more labor-intensive/costly to rip out and redo.
6. Full tiles - entry till kitchen till breakfast & master bath - 16X16 - diagonal - $3895 - Does it worth it buy from builder - I really need this - This depends on how many s.f. of tile and the type/grade of tile you're getting, but the price you have given seems pretty steep if it is for ceramic (or even Italian porcelain) tile. Flooring is perhaps the builder's highest marked-up item at design centers. If you decide to upgrade to tile later, it is much easier to pull up carpeting and vinyl flooring than it is to break up tile. You'll also have a lot more choices. I personally prefer to hand-select my tile contractor because I like my floors to be perfectly floated/leveled and I don't care much for wide grout lines.
7. Kitchen counter tops - $1725 with edge - i have to take it - Again, without the full details here it is difficult to make an accurate assessment (What is the standard countertop, i.e. what are you upgrading from? What are you upgrading to? What is the thickness of the edge and square footage of material?). However, keep in mind that if you change countertops later on, you'll also need to consider things such as replacing the sink and/or mounting (i.e. top mount to undermount), whether you'll need to hire a separate plumber to disconnect your current sink and install the new one, etc.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decisions. Customizing your home is the FUN PART of the home buying process!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 AM

388 posts, read 825,697 times
Quote:

Items
3. Full metal spindles - $4000 - I want this - Can I do it outside from the contractor? They have to come and they have to remove the walls, and then install this....Does it worth to go with builder?
4. 2 Step Crown Molding - family room - Masterbed room - I really liked this for masterbed, I dont know how it looks for family room - Anyone has experience with this for Family room? - $695
5. Kitchen cabinets - I want to take Maple wood - $1700 - (42" is standard size)
6. Full tiles - entry till kitchen till breakfast & master bath - 16X16 - diagonal - $3895 - Does it worth it buy from builder - I really need this
7. Kitchen counter tops - $1725 with edge - i have to take it

I am happy with the Moen Eva faucets right now, may be after years I will buy items from china and install it by myself.
My future projects are - no 1. Water sprinkler system no 2. Changing all light switches 3. Covered patio 4.Water fountains.
Where is your upgrade for the radiant barrier in the attic? That upgrade is more important than the other ones you've listed here. Trust me.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
Where is your upgrade for the radiant barrier in the attic? That upgrade is more important than the other ones you've listed here. Trust me.
Radiant barrier roof decking - It comes with the plan

Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiMBA View Post
Items
1. Entrance Door - I am not yet sure what i want - Assume I will spend on t

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decisions. Customizing your home is the FUN PART of the home buying process!
tile I want : Entry - extended entry - extended entry ii - size will be like 6 X 34 ft = 204 sq.ft
break fast 12X14 = 168
kitchen = some around 170

all together : 204 + 168 + 170 = 544 + utility walk way = Assume around 600

Builder price is coming around $6 -$7 per Sq.ft, I feel like its ok to get it from builder, I am not sure.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiMBA View Post
Items

7. Kitchen counter tops - $1725 with edge - i have to take it - Again, without the full details here it is difficult to make an accurate assessment (What is the standard countertop, i.e. what are you upgrading from? What
Kitchen comes with Granite level 1 - but i didnt like it, I want to go for Granite 3 or Granite 4; I think you are right, labor cost & material cost will comes back to $1475 + the bull nose edge - $350 = $1825

Crown Molding: White : 2 Step crown :
1. Family room size - 17' X 19' X 2 story ceiling height
2. Game room size - 22' X 17'
3. Master bed room - Tray Ceiling - around 13' X 10'
For all the above - $700

2 Step Crown Molding
4 Bed rooms - 12X14, 14X11, 12X14, 12X14
Entrance - regular ceiling height
for this $350

Can I able to save money, If i do it by myself later;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston