Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times

Advertisements

I realized today that I've been saying my potential new job is at UH Downtown but what I really should have said was UH Main Campus. If that changes anyone's recommendations because of different commute patterns, please let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 04:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
No it won't change your commute pattern (other than to make it easier -- because you won't have to go into downtown). An easy shot straight down I-45 from CL, FW or the older, east end of Pearland that is going toward FW.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I realized today that I've been saying my potential new job is at UH Downtown but what I really should have said was UH Main Campus. If that changes anyone's recommendations because of different commute patterns, please let me know. Thanks!
Not really. You'd still be going up 45.

UH-Downtown has been kicking around the idea of changing its name in part to ignore this sort of confusion.

And tstone, yes, I can hand you that about the south/west portion of Friendswood going toward Alvin (especially where 2351 goes towards Highway 35) just not so much the middle of Friendswood itself. That whole general western Galveston/northeastern Brazoria County vicinity is quickly losing any "rural" feel it might've had. Even Santa Fe. But if you're from, say, Los Angeles - then you might see it differently...

Old 12-19-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Not really. You'd still be going up 45.

UH-Downtown has been kicking around the idea of changing its name in part to ignore this sort of confusion.
Yes, I was confused about the two campuses until someone mentioned the renaming.

I accepted the job yesterday so that seals the deal on moving. I am thankful once again that we didn't buy a house in Sugar Land!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM

Congrats on the new job and good luck in the house hunt!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Congrats on the new job and good luck in the house hunt!
Thanks! I figure getting a job in this economy was the hard part...finding a house should be fairly easy.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Friendswood is the nicest of the bunch easily. I then go with Clear Lake and then Pearland. Pearland schools are not up to par with the other two, especially the Fort Bend ISD zoned portion.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Any schools in Pearland that are zoned to Fort Bend would mean that you aren't really living within Pearland. Pearland residents attend Pearland schools.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Today we exhausted ourselves looking at:

West Ranch in Friendwood
Magnolia Creek, Westover Park, Claremont, Tuscan Lakes, and South Shore Harbour in League City

We liked Friendswood a lot more on our second visit. We think the route we took the first time didn't show it to best advantage. My children really enjoyed Stevenson Park in Friendwood.

We also liked League City but it is probably too far out for my commute. We did have excellent BBQ, though, at Red River BBQ. Highly recommended.

Tomorrow we will visit Northfork and Pine Brook in Clear Lake.

When trying to come home to Sugar Land, we got stuck in the worst traffic I've ever encountered in my entire life. 518 through Silverlake in Pearland. It was unreal. It took 30 minutes to go a few miles. I am usually really mellow about traffic but I was getting testy. My husband says in the future, he would like to avoid the parking lot that is Pearland. Maybe this was holiday traffic but it was terrible. We also had the opportunity to observe some very colorful characters in parking lots along 518. I cracked up and told my husband the last time I saw women dressed that way, it was on Sunset Blvd. in Los Angeles.

I'm starting to feel like more of an expert on Southeast Houston.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:05 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
When trying to come home to Sugar Land, we got stuck in the worst traffic I've ever encountered in my entire life. 518 through Silverlake in Pearland. It was unreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81
Pearland has become a great place to be if you like traffic congestion
Like I was saying...and it's only going to get worse.

Well, if you ever want to see worse, check out Highway 6 around 290/FM 1960 on the NW side, not that it matters much to this discussion, but just saying...Silverlake area is catching up though. It's gotten noticeably worse, progressively, in just the two years since I've been back. This isn't just a holiday shopping thing. This is the way it is all the time now.

Part of my Hurricane Rita evacuation route went right through there. I was cutting through the parking lots to cut ahead. Yep, every man for himself. After I got on the other side of the beltway on 288 I was home free...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston