Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:04 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,573,598 times

Advertisements

Yes the ones on S Willow have really high levels of crime
The apts on South Post Oak @ Willowbend are zoned to Bellaire & all the homes within walking distance are zoned to Westbury I do not know how that happend also the apts Hillcroft @ Bellaire south side of bellaire are zone to bellaire to even thought they much closer to sharpstown. The old bellaire zone use to only have like 3 or 4 small apt complex zoned when then changed the zone for bellaire the added like 4 to 6 apt complex to bring more minorties to bellaire

Last edited by DJboutit; 03-04-2009 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:04 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,066 times
Default Stella Link redevelopment as an analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
We should organize an investment pool made up of property owners from Westbury, Willow Meadows and Willowbend to buy out those apartments and develop the acreage.

Townhomes maybe? Donate the acreage to the city (or county) for a large park? Commercial strip? Gotta run the numbers to see if it makes sense.
Go look at Stella Link (Braes Hts) ( between the South Loop and Bellaire Blvd.) some time and view the new parks, library, and senior center (Sheltering Arms). Looks great huh? I used to live there when there were several very seedy apt cmplx's , including SRO rooming houses filled with recent paroles.

About 10 years ago the apts were bought up, I believe by a combination of neighborhood community assoc's and city redevelopment funding. I'm sure it added 30-40% to the value of the homes and cut crime by half immediately. You might research that transaction and find out exactly how it was done.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Go look at Stella Link (Braes Hts) ( between the South Loop and Bellaire Blvd.) some time and view the new parks, library, and senior center (Sheltering Arms). Looks great huh? I used to live there when there were several very seedy apt cmplx's , including SRO rooming houses filled with recent paroles.

About 10 years ago the apts were bought up, I believe by a combination of neighborhood community assoc's and city redevelopment funding. I'm sure it added 30-40% to the value of the homes and cut crime by half immediately. You might research that transaction and find out exactly how it was done.
Nice tip. I think I just found a new project...

Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,998 times
Thank you all for the pointers. My husband and I are considering this neighborhood, but are concerned how it will progress in the longterm.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post

FYI, I just learned that I actually went to high school with the son of the man who was at the tip of the spear for that Stella Link development (I'm assuming we're talking about the block immediately south of Bellair/Holcombe where the YMCA stands). I put a call into his office requesting an informal meeting this weekend to discuss over coffee. He hasn't called back yet. I may have to get squeaky...

Also, I discovered that my parents lived in those apartments in the mid 70's (fresh out of college newlyweds).

Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
FYI, I just learned that I actually went to high school with the son of the man who was at the tip of the spear for that Stella Link development (I'm assuming we're talking about the block immediately south of Bellair/Holcombe where the YMCA stands). I put a call into his office requesting an informal meeting this weekend to discuss over coffee. He hasn't called back yet. I may have to get squeaky...

Also, I discovered that my parents lived in those apartments in the mid 70's (fresh out of college newlyweds).
Please keep us posted... I think this is a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston