U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 PM
 
Location: houston/sugarland
734 posts, read 479,709 times
Reputation: 174

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
your children are less likely to succeed here. no tourism here at all. no real center for business (like a functioning downtown) so people can live anywhere (unless you follow the stampede to far flung suburbs)
although im known as bashing Houston; and usually coupled w/ you in finding the negatives. I must disagree w/ you on the first point. I think that kids that grow up in the suburbs and attend high school here have great oppurtunities in houston due to the lucrative Oil and Gas industry put together with great colleges in Houston and Texas; UT A&M UH Rice TexasTech etc.

but the other points are valid... Nobody comes to Houston to see what its all about; and there are 5 different "downtowns" which makes it difficult to have a city center.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Right. One of the few places in the country that continues to create jobs and has a ton of Fortune 500 companies to work for probably makes it harder to succeed.
Its because of the Energy companies that are located here; with that and the relatively cheap cost of office space. The only reason(jobwise) why people move to Houston is because of TMC and Energy business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
 
1,155 posts, read 1,719,020 times
Reputation: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
The only reason(jobwise) why people move to Houston is because of TMC and Energy business.
I hope nobody seeking real advice takes this board too seriously. There is good advice to be found here, but there is also an astonishing amount of ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,789,817 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
although im known as bashing Houston; and usually coupled w/ you in finding the negatives. I must disagree w/ you on the first point. I think that kids that grow up in the suburbs and attend high school here have great oppurtunities in houston due to the lucrative Oil and Gas industry put together with great colleges in Houston and Texas; UT A&M UH Rice TexasTech etc.

but the other points are valid... Nobody comes to Houston to see what its all about; and there are 5 different "downtowns" which makes it difficult to have a city center.


ahhh yes oil and gas. I think I forgot to mention I didn't consider that field to be a desireable line of work, especially the field guys. no offense oil&gas people! working outside and far away is not my thing. also does anyone really dream of becoming an oil&gas person? its not exactly a common goal.
other than field work, oil&gas companies is just a regular business place like my IB. good ol boys, tall&white credentials would take you far up.
you ask where are the yuppies. oil and gas stinks ya know


ok folks enough of this. please respond to the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM
 
Location: ITL, Houston
81 posts, read 131,359 times
Reputation: 115
Housing costs are established from supply and demand. The Houston area has a large supply due to the sprawling infrastructure. There are pockets of higher demand (West U, River Oaks, Memorial, Midtown, Heights, etc.), but overall the demand is lower due to the high number of substitute products.

The relatively low population density is a product of the post WWII era "American Dream" and "White Flight". The relatively young age of the city also has a contributing factor. The city boomed after the advent of the automobile allowing families to have a cheap house with a yard and still be able to work downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
469 posts, read 969,445 times
Reputation: 286
Propery values in all of Texas are very reasonable because the refinance boom did not over inflate values thanks to Texas law. In the state of Texas cash out refinances cannot exceed 80% of appraised value. So, here you had far less use of home appreciation as a credit card. Then you have the fact that most of the area is very flat and has few wetland areas as defined by the Army Corp of Engineers. This reduces the costs of developing land. Next a Houston area item is that the lack of zoning also means that we have a lack of urban growth bounders that have pushed values up in Portland and Seattle area. Also because of the 80s oil bust the Houston area has had high property taxes as a percentage. This has reduced interest for many to purchase a home thereby holding down demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Tysons Corner, VA by way of TEXAS
727 posts, read 502,768 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
ahhh yes oil and gas. I think I forgot to mention I didn't consider that field to be a desireable line of work, especially the field guys. no offense oil&gas people! working outside and far away is not my thing. also does anyone really dream of becoming an oil&gas person? its not exactly a common goal.
other than field work, oil&gas companies is just a regular business place like my IB. good ol boys, tall&white credentials would take you far up.
you ask where are the yuppies. oil and gas stinks ya know


ok folks enough of this. please respond to the OP
Dude you are totally bitter. I grew up here, went to HISD schools all my life, got a college degree a job and in my mind, has succeeded such far. I have many friends, most of us inner loopers, that have done the same. Houston has way more opportunities than all of the other places I've lived, and most places in the country. Your kids have a great chance to succeed here, and not just in oil and gas. There are many other industries and sources of commerce here in Houston, and compared to other places in the country Houston is consistently more prosperous. Yes it does have its problems, some of them very pervasive (traffic and air quality come to mind), but I think some of your comments are misleading to the original poster. Get out and explore some, I think you'll find there's more to Houston than can be found cruising the freeways back and forth to work. Plus Texans are friendly in general.

And on a seperate note, I'm glad all you suburbanites are returning from the dark side and moving back to the city. Remember that the best way to fight traffic is to shorten your personal commute, especially in a car-centric city like Houston. Just my two cents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,789,817 times
Reputation: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Dude you are totally bitter. I grew up here, went to HISD schools all my life, got a college degree a job and in my mind, has succeeded such far. I have many friends, most of us inner loopers, that have done the same. Houston has way more opportunities than all of the other places I've lived, and most places in the country. Your kids have a great chance to succeed here, and not just in oil and gas. There are many other industries and sources of commerce here in Houston, and compared to other places in the country Houston is consistently more prosperous. Yes it does have its problems, some of them very pervasive (traffic and air quality come to mind), but I think some of your comments are misleading to the original poster. Get out and explore some, I think you'll find there's more to Houston than can be found cruising the freeways back and forth to work. Plus Texans are friendly in general.

And on a seperate note, I'm glad all you suburbanites are returning from the dark side and moving back to the city. Remember that the best way to fight traffic is to shorten your personal commute, especially in a car-centric city like Houston. Just my two cents!
can you honestly say more women have good jobs or have better job opportunities in Houston than in NYC? right now I see 1 Houston :8 NYC women 'in power' ratio comparing to my work place here(investment bank technology) head count being the same.
Arts & entertainment... can you really say a person into arts have a better shot being a part of something in Houston or NYC/Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 PM
 
Location: houston/sugarland
734 posts, read 479,709 times
Reputation: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Dude you are totally bitter. I grew up here, went to HISD schools all my life, got a college degree a job and in my mind, has succeeded such far. I have many friends, most of us inner loopers, that have done the same. Houston has way more opportunities than all of the other places I've lived, and most places in the country. Your kids have a great chance to succeed here, and not just in oil and gas. There are many other industries and sources of commerce here in Houston, and compared to other places in the country Houston is consistently more prosperous. Yes it does have its problems, some of them very pervasive (traffic and air quality come to mind), but I think some of your comments are misleading to the original poster. Get out and explore some, I think you'll find there's more to Houston than can be found cruising the freeways back and forth to work. Plus Texans are friendly in general.

And on a seperate note, I'm glad all you suburbanites are returning from the dark side and moving back to the city. Remember that the best way to fight traffic is to shorten your personal commute, especially in a car-centric city like Houston. Just my two cents!
I would have to agree with you; the schooling here in Houston is certainly above the national average; The quality of education is even higher in the suburbs.

When you say "theres more to houston than can be found cruising highways" you need to realize something;here, all people are forced to do is cruise on the highways to get home nobody honestly drives through the streets of RiceVillage; Downtown; Heights; Montrose; Uptown aimlessly; they have a destination in mind. There isnt a serious amount of "exploring" that can happen. If someone reccomends someplace than one would drive to that specific location but "exploring" is very difficult (unless you call "exploring" a glorified pretty word for "gettin lost")

But yes; i think texans are friendly in general but im sure other people in other parts of the country are just as friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 PM
 
Location: 77059
7,746 posts, read 18,459,689 times
Reputation: 3801
Majicdonjuan living in zip code 77054 has no room to talk about 'moving back to the city.' Been there, done that, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
When you say "theres more to houston than can be found cruising highways" you need to realize something;here, all people are forced to do is cruise on the highways to get home nobody honestly drives through the streets of RiceVillage; Downtown; Heights; Montrose; Uptown aimlessly; they have a destination in mind. There isnt a serious amount of "exploring" that can happen.

Yeah right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX (Oak Forest)
3,587 posts, read 7,454,240 times
Reputation: 2361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
can you honestly say more women have good jobs or have better job opportunities in Houston than in NYC? right now I see 1 Houston :8 NYC women 'in power' ratio comparing to my work place here(investment bank technology) head count being the same.
Arts & entertainment... can you really say a person into arts have a better shot being a part of something in Houston or NYC/Jersey?
I work a good paying job in O&G and our office is 50/50 men and women. Our crew chief is a woman and the person we report to at corporate is a woman, but I guess since your company discriminates against women that so do all companies in Houston .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top