U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 PM

55 posts, read 116,773 times

Advertisements

That's exactly what it is. Thank you.
I'll cancel therapy until 09.
I've discovered my problem is that I think I'm so dang special..

*hugs*
I appreciate it.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:13 PM

2,642 posts, read 2,331,439 times
I can see why some people would find Houston unattractive, ugly, and nasty. But i can see why some people would find Houston charming, cultural, cosmopolitan, and beautiful.

No disrespect to the east side, but lets face it, its Houston's industrial side of town where the ship channel and refineries are. Beauty is not the east side's first priority, jobs are. So yes driving on east 610 or north 45 are unappealing sites. Furthermore, the air quality on the east side is very hard on your lungs, but hey... its cheap to live over there.

Katy Freeway Cooridor, Texas Medical Center, Midtown, Uptown/galleria, Sugarland/Richmond, Pearland, Katy, The Woodlands, Kingwood, and Clearlake are all beautiful areas. Why don't they count? These areas are enough to say that Houston is a beautiful city with a decent quality of life.

jd2008 said there's a lack of parks in this city. Such a lie. Memorial Park is one of the largest urban parks in the nation. Herman Park, Tom Bass Park, the new Discovery Green, Eleanor Tinsley are all nice parks. No Urban Environments? Again jd2008m you're so 10 years behind on this city. All the projects downtown and inside of the loop that are walkable urban projects, not including the new ones that are currently under construction.

It's easy to say what a city doesn't have, especially if you never leave your front door and never get off the freeway.

PS: Oh and yellowmenace, your bigotry couldn't be anymore laughable.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,276 times
Houston has its ups and downs like any other place around the world. Some people like it and others dont. i love it and if someone doesnt like it, they have the choose to move. Simple as that!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:42 AM

5,257 posts, read 3,414,934 times
Exclamation Something is fishy here...

OP was posting in the general US forum at the same time this was posted how he/she would rather die than move to Houston and how it was dump #1 ahead of Detroit dump #2. Why then go in the Houston forum asking about moving?

Then it just serves to bring the freaks like "yellowmenace" out of the woodwork, where they can spread their prejudiced lies and perpetuate the myth that the nation's 4th largest city is some backwater. Ironic that someone claiming to be so educated and tolerant would look down on an entire city and state... doing exactly what they accuse the city and state of being backwards about. I mean really... to complain about it because it's in Texas?

Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 AM

11,419 posts, read 17,671,492 times
It's about as idiotic as saying that Chicago is a giant cornfield because it's in the state of Illinois.

I mean, I'm sure there are lots of people here who lived in or have visited Chicago, but have they been around much of the rest of Illinois, such as along the Mississippi? Think Iowa. What do you think of when you picture Iowa? Cornfields. Lots of corn. As far as the eye can see. That's what a good deal of Illinois is, too. It's about as far removed from Chicago as you can get, other than the fact that they're within the borders of the same state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr
Then it just serves to bring the freaks like "yellowmenace" out of the woodwork
You don't suppose that....nah, it couldn't be. Who on the Internet would have that much time on their hands and nothing better to do?

Old 12-21-2008, 12:06 PM
JL

6,382 posts, read 6,993,976 times
It is what it is.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:02 PM

17 posts, read 20,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiDaryl View Post
You said that it's like every other town.. in that you can't be a working to middle class liberal.. but I disagree..

I have friends and families in other cities where there were TONS of No To PropHate signs and Obama signs in there neighborhood.

I was the lone whitey in Northpointe that ventured to the 5th ward for her Obama sign. Not another single house belonging to a white family had one..

I have girlfriends in Boston suburbs who took pics of their neighborhood and there was house after house with the signs...

I also have other like minded, childless friends who build adult sites... aren't religious... live in middle class neighborhoods... and have no issues making friends at home owner's associations...

The second I tell people anything relating to my social or ethical standards.. I'm shunned.. here in the Houston burbs.

Houston is GREATTTTTTTTTT for fake richie rich pretentious middle class evangelicals. GREAT. Amazing, perfect, neighborhood...

but don't go faking like you can be a middle class progressive or liberal in the burbs of Houston and have a happy life.

I had people who wouldn't let their kids get CANDY from my house on Halloween because of my obama sign... I had kids tell me, "I should've brought my gun..." to my face.. while handing out candy.

So don't give me that, "can't hack Houston" crap... The people are FRIENDLY only to their own kind.

There is NO integration of the melting pot of both race and ideology. None.
You hit the nail with the hammer on the points you touched on. Having dealt with liberals and conservatives my entire life, I can easily spot a conservative TRYING to appear tolerant. It's like watching a fish out of water: Awkward, uncomfortable and clueless. And Houston is full of these fake progressive types, tripping over themselves to market this hole as some diverse paradise.

In reality, Moderator cut: hate speech Paying lip service to tolerance while remaining true to their southern roots.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-21-2008 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Hate speech is not permitted per ToS - see DM

Old 12-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,791,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's about as idiotic as saying that Chicago is a giant cornfield because it's in the state of Illinois.

I mean, I'm sure there are lots of people here who lived in or have visited Chicago, but have they been around much of the rest of Illinois, such as along the Mississippi? Think Iowa. What do you think of when you picture Iowa? Cornfields. Lots of corn. As far as the eye can see. That's what a good deal of Illinois is, too. It's about as far removed from Chicago as you can get, other than the fact that they're within the borders of the same state.

You don't suppose that....nah, it couldn't be. Who on the Internet would have that much time on their hands and nothing better to do?
the Houstonians' defense mechanism is the weirdest I've ever observed. I think thats the reason a lot of the other species poke you from time to time

Old 12-21-2008, 05:05 PM

11,419 posts, read 17,671,492 times
I also note that he singles out the suburban population. I guess I must not be a conservative Bible Belt nut.

I'm all for allowing people to voice their feelings. The only thing you have to fear from me is my doing the same.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:55 PM

2,642 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to say, this is due to the majority black and hispanic population.
Good call jfre81. This is definitely a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston