U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
9,499 posts, read 9,121,297 times
Reputation: 4019
"Houston. It's worth it"?

Shouldn't that be Fort Worth's slogan?

....anyway, no city really needs a slogan. Only states.
Houston's a great city, and ya don't need a slogan to tell people.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
 
464 posts, read 660,114 times
Reputation: 330
With or without the slogan, one can say that Houston is worth it because, Houston is the undisputed top labor market in the country.
Isn't amazing that Houston is up 42,400 jobs, while at the same time these other cities are:

New York City .........down 33,500 jobs
Chicago .................down 33,600 jobs
Phoenix .................down 58,500 jobs
Miami ....................down 59,700 jobs
Los Angeles ............down 60,700 jobs
Atlanta ..................down 66,100 jobs
Detroit ..................down 67,700 jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,515,052 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
With or without the slogan, one can say that Houston is worth it because, Houston is the undisputed top labor market in the country.
Isn't amazing that Houston is up 42,400 jobs, while at the same time these other cities are:

New York City .........down 33,500 jobs
Chicago .................down 33,600 jobs
Phoenix .................down 58,500 jobs
Miami ....................down 59,700 jobs
Los Angeles ............down 60,700 jobs
Atlanta ..................down 66,100 jobs
Detroit ..................down 67,700 jobs
LOL that only means the city was working at its maximum potential. Houston is starting somewhere near rock bottom. Those cities are also shedding off dirty jobs to unpopular cities begging for business.
if one need to move to houston to follow his job then sure its worth it. some go to india, hey i bet they say its worth it too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 PM
 
464 posts, read 660,114 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
LOL that only means the city was working at its maximum potential. Houston is starting somewhere near rock bottom. Those cities are also shedding off dirty jobs to unpopular cities begging for business.
if one need to move to houston to follow his job then sure its worth it. some go to india, hey i bet they say its worth it too
If I follow your assertion, one would have to say that those dirty jobs are attracting lots of dirty people from there who like dirty jobs to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
 
756 posts, read 1,209,368 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
LOL that only means the city was working at its maximum potential. Houston is starting somewhere near rock bottom. Those cities are also shedding off dirty jobs to unpopular cities begging for business.
if one need to move to houston to follow his job then sure its worth it. some go to india, hey i bet they say its worth it too
Houston is starting near rock bottom. Bless your ignorant simple little assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 02:17 PM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,515,052 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
If I follow your assertion, one would have to say that those dirty jobs are attracting lots of dirty people from there who like dirty jobs to Houston.
correct. more like "dirty", not Mike Rowe dirty. real estate costs in those major cities are expensive so they have to move some warehouse, backoffice, accounting, HR, technology etc operations somewhere else. so ok theyre "losing"/moving jobs since the city's landscape is changing. Houston is not making the jobs, more like the fear of another 911, leases not getting renewed, globalization, saving on the benefits and tax expenses and the "american in the major city" taking credit for work done by the ones in some dead town somewhere else. that doesnt make houston amazing. this is literally the boiler room office space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 02:36 PM
 
464 posts, read 660,114 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
correct. more like "dirty", not Mike Rowe dirty. real estate costs in those major cities are expensive so they have to move some warehouse, backoffice, accounting, HR, technology etc operations somewhere else. so ok theyre "losing"/moving jobs since the city's landscape is changing. Houston is not making the jobs, more like the fear of another 911, leases not getting renewed, globalization, saving on the benefits and tax expenses and the "american in the major city" taking credit for work done by the ones in some dead town somewhere else. that doesnt make houston amazing. this is literally the boiler room office space
I just thought about the Medical center which has created ten of thousands high tech, high research dirty jobs. Think about all of those ten of thousands of high paying professional jobs generated by the oil companies, they are soo dirty. Donít forget NASA thatís a filthy place with over 30,000 dirty jobs. I agree with you fully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,515,052 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
I just thought about the Medical center which has created ten of thousands high tech, high research dirty jobs. Think about all of those ten of thousands of high paying professional jobs generated by the oil companies, they are soo dirty. Don’t forget NASA that’s a filthy place with over 30,000 dirty jobs. I agree with you fully.
awesome

New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ Economy at a Glance
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Economy at a Glance

NASA? is that still around?

the TMC is just a collection of hospitals. the number of patrons is still the factor to making money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Status: "something tells me I won't win that $500" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,840 posts, read 12,094,540 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
With or without the slogan, one can say that Houston is worth it because, Houston is the undisputed top labor market in the country.
Isn't amazing that Houston is up 42,400 jobs, while at the same time these other cities are:

New York City .........down 33,500 jobs
Chicago .................down 33,600 jobs
Phoenix .................down 58,500 jobs
Miami ....................down 59,700 jobs
Los Angeles ............down 60,700 jobs
Atlanta ..................down 66,100 jobs
Detroit ..................down 67,700 jobs

Maybe someone ought to show Jesse69 these stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
 
464 posts, read 660,114 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
awesome

New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ Economy at a Glance
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX Economy at a Glance

NASA? is that still around?

the TMC is just a collection of hospitals. the number of patrons is still the factor to making money
Thank you for confirming that New York has a higher unemployement rate than Houston.

NASA is still around and it will get much bigger with a much larger funding that the Obama admin is talking about.

TMC generates over 80,000 top paying jobs. That translates into lots and lots of $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top