Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
How about a version of the old Avis car rental slogan: "were #4 so we try harder"
"were #4 in girth, so were not the biggest loser after all"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
can you point out one statement where i said I hated houston?

I don't hate Houston. As I've mentioned before, plain HATE is the best excuse Houstonians can think of to rationalize other people's opinion about their inner city. We are happy here and everywhere we go. with easy sacrifices in Houston. you should think about this next time you read my posts, if youre any better than the other 'inner-barrio-loophead" Houstonians
So now you are changing your tune? After saying things in other threads as well as this one like how anyone at the top of their class would be better off elsewhere as well as many other things, maybe you have seen the light. I am happy you finally admit you are in a world class city that is great. Our job is done

Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
So now you are changing your tune? After saying things in other threads as well as this one like how anyone at the top of their class would be better off elsewhere as well as many other things, maybe you have seen the light. I am happy you finally admit you are in a world class city that is great. Our job is done
weaseling out are we? quote it and put it here. lets put that in context. find the hate. and dont read too much from that last one too :: (what is wrong with 'you people'?)

Old 12-19-2008, 01:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
"were #4 in girth, so were not the biggest loser after all"?
Girth is underrated, or so I'm told...I never got any complaints about it.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:37 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you had to go to such areas, I do not know where those places are in 10years there, or maybe I never had to be there(and you did), or that some piece of trash on the road will make me swerve thinking its some drug paraphernalia everytime. I've never had a flat tire in my entire life, just to give you an idea how bad you are getting it because of poor choices and beliefs. I'm soooo sorry about your "experiences" in the northeast. please save us all from your other bad experiences and hook ups there. In exchange, i'll tell you i believe in your story.
Without giving you pictures, phone numbers for you to go "do your research", everyone I know from New Jersey (which is more than you would enjoy finding out) readily admits it is the stench of the Northeast. Now you may have lived your life with rose colored glasses in your time there, but it sure sounds like you just don't want to admit that NJ is a dump. Perhaps it is better than Detroit's slums.... no sorry, it isn't.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post

Quote:
weaseling out are we? quote it and put it here. lets put that in context. find the hate. and dont read too much from that last one too :: (what is wrong with 'you people'?)
really? nothing to back up your statements?
can i ask you to put me into your ignore list then? thanks

Old 12-19-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Without giving you pictures, phone numbers for you to go "do your research", everyone I know from New Jersey (which is more than you would enjoy finding out) readily admits it is the stench of the Northeast. Now you may have lived your life with rose colored glasses in your time there, but it sure sounds like you just don't want to admit that NJ is a dump. Perhaps it is better than Detroit's slums.... no sorry, it isn't.
dunno what youre smoking and why youre telling me this. I just stayed in NY/NJ for a while, i'm not a local. youre wasting your energy i think.
I know youre from New Orleans so, this is like arguing with a deranged street bum, about who stinks around here.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:53 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
really? nothing to back up your statements?
can i ask you to put me into your ignore list then? thanks
I can't post from other threads on my computer, but all of us have seen you do your angry little drive by bash posts with nothing to back them up with so have fun being bitter in Houston while everyone else is enjoying themselves and life

Old 12-19-2008, 08:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
You know I too used to think Wysi was a Houston hater but after being on this forum a while, I have realized that he does like it here but he is also very critical of the things that he doesn't like which is very much how most people that I meet from the Northeast are (that isn't meant as a slight to those of you from the NE). Just as people from the south have a reputation of being "friendly" (whether it is true or not), people from the NE have a manner of speaking that some find to be "short or rude" (whether it be true or not) and until you actually get to know them it is easy to make an assumption. It's just the way it is. It isn't that they don't like it ..... it is just the way it is to discuss the things that are wrong.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
Whatever the Wysiwig or EEStudent types have to say about H-town...many of us, sweetclimber to Topaz and such, including myself have lived in supposedly more appealing towns but find that Houston is actually quite the place to be.

I've been gone from San Diego for 2 years. I've been gone from Tampa Bay for 1 year (grew up there once and I was starting to get used to some aspects...I miss Indian Rocks Beach) but I can't say that I'm missing those areas as such. I'm not that old yet. There's just a more inclusive vibe here and a lot more to do here. That hyped touristy stuff gets old.

For example: over-hyped Old Town San Diego...is no match for Old Town Spring as far as what the vibe of a big city's "old town" is supposed to be about. Old Town San Diego feels like some plastic theme park extension of the Gas Lamp area...Old Town Spring really feels like you're in a much different time and place apart from ultra-modern Houston.

There are great places to imbibe, eat and shop all over Houston...but in San Diego and Tampa Bay, those types of places are generally limited to certain touristy districts. That gets really old. And those other places lack the sophisticated culture that Houston offers more substantially.

I've been to Seattle twice...and while I liked it...it lacks Houston's "is what it is" nature. I once stood in Rainier Square...and felt...there's just a plastic quality about it here. Capitol Hill was colorful...but too orderly, not too different in appearance than a Melrose or Robertson Blvd. I'll take the jagged look of The Montrose any day.

I prefer Houston's oddball assortment of disjointed entertainment areas like White Oak St, 19th Street, Washington St., Shepherd Plaza and the like. Sure, Houston Pavilions area and Woodlands Waterway give us some of that conventional plastic entertainment package but just the quirkiness of some of these areas here is worth it.

Especially compared to over-priced San Diego where my wife and I lived for 4 years...yeah, Houston's worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston