Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:21 PM

156 posts, read 493,301 times

Advertisements

My wife was offered a job in Houston. We have to be moved and settled in by January 12th. The house we are considering to purchase is in the Kempner High school district. Currently, our oldest son is intellectually gifted and attends one of the elite public high schools in America. Would you recommend Kempner High given our son's abilities? Any insight would be thankful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
If you believe in TEA rankings, Clements and Stephen F. Austin are the two best public high schools in Sugar Land (both rated as "Recognized," with most people saying Clements is the most competitive). Kempner is rated "Academically Acceptable."

That being said, someone else may be able to contribute some information for you about whether Kempner has any special programs for academically advanced students.

Welcome to Houston!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Compared to Clements High School Kempner is a joke. Try to get your child into Clements at all costs; I was a graduate of Clements high school and so many of my graduating class went to elite schools around the country. Its a very competitive school actually Clements is almost like a college prepatory school. There are great teachers there along with fellow students who actually want to go to Big name colleges.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:54 AM

156 posts, read 493,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Compared to Clements High School Kempner is a joke. Try to get your child into Clements at all costs; I was a graduate of Clements high school and so many of my graduating class went to elite schools around the country. Its a very competitive school actually Clements is almost like a college prepatory school. There are great teachers there along with fellow students who actually want to go to Big name colleges.
Thank you for your helpful advise. Unfortunately, the housing zoned for Clements High is out of our league -- for now anyway. However, there is an opportunity for us to buy a home zoned for the James E Taylor High School. From my research, it seems like it is a very good school. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-26-2008, 01:31 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Kempner is just fine. The main difference is Kempner isn't 100 percent rich kids who think their high school is the best "Prepatory" high school in the country. Kempner has some lower income students and minorities. As for quality, Kempner's teachers are just as good as Clements. And so are their AP classes and programs offered.

Honestly, if your son is that gifted, you might consider private school or YES preparatory high school.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,227 times
I went to Kempner High School and can honestly say that the AP programs are top notch. Clements is also a top notch school, but shouldn't be considered the only well regarded high school in the area...that's just ludicrous. Like another poster said, there are low-income and minority students at the school but that doesn't take away from the excellence of its AP program. I attended Elkins high school for one year prior to going to Kempner; Interestingly, Elkins is also highly ranked among U.S. public schools, however, I don't understand why. I took all AP classes there and breezed through them with high A's. Never studied for anything really...classes were a joke. Anyway, the bottom line is rankings aren't everything...it's better to get opinions from the people in the area. Hope my post isn't coming too late!

Old 06-02-2009, 03:11 PM

381 posts, read 1,234,226 times
YES Prepatory schools are fantastic!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 PM

102 posts, read 326,283 times
Quote:
Your graduating class went to elite schools because their parents could AFFORD it.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Taylor is excellent; highly recommended...I'd take it over Clements, but that's just me.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_fl_vol View Post
our oldest son is intellectually gifted and attends one of the elite public high schools in America.. Would you recommend Kempner High given our son's abilities?
I say we just give him a full ride to UT and get it over with

All jokes aside, "If" he's good as you think he is, he'll do well at any of the schools in Ft. Bend/Katy ISD.

I wouldn't worry so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston