Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 05:24 PM

7 posts, read 21,440 times

Advertisements

I will be an RN in may with my bachelors degree and my family is urging me to move to houston. I've heard all the while that texas is known for healthcare so I wanted to know if any nurses on board could tell me about the texas medical center hospitals?

also, if anyone would like to chime in with information about the city...such as cost of living, where to live close to the medical center. I'm 21 yo with no kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,095,979 times
Default Houston Medical Center is Great!

Houston has the largest Medical Center in the world, with world-renown hospitals including:

Texas Childrens Hospital (TCH) - one of the largest pediatric hospitals in the nation
St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital - great hospital for Heart, among other things
M.D. Anderson - great Cancer hospital
Shriners Hospital - Galveston has the burn units, but the Shriners here is great too
Hermann Hospital - great trauma hospital
Methodist Hospital - great neurology hospital, and good all around hospital
Ben Taub - one of a couple of county hospitals, a great place to see a lot and learn all about nursing your first time out! You will become bilingual very quickly!!

These are all within about a 5-6 mile radius of each other! I am a nurse and have worked at Texas Children's Hospital since 2004. I love the medical center! I see all types of patients, from all over the world. I work in the NICU Level 2 at TCH. I used to live in the medical center, and would suggest it to you. There are all types of apartments and condos/townhouses which a lot of medical folks take advantage of there. Cost of living vs beginning nursing salary here in Houston is very good...meaning you could afford very decent living on your beginning salary.

Since you are single with no children...night shifts might be perfect for you. It's a great way to make a lot of money. TCH offers $4.25 night diff on top of your hourly rate. Not sure about the other hospitals. At TCH, we self schedule, and have schedule balancers. So I put in the days I want to work, and if they need to be switched, they ask me if they can move me to a day where the numbers work out better.

Where are you coming from? Do you know what you are intersted in? Adults? Pediatrics? ICU? Med/Surg? OR/PACU?

If none of those strike your fancy, there are also 2 psychiatric hospitals within the vacinity as well. I know that there are some other hospitals that have recently been built, or that are in the process of being built (Baylor College of Medicine is one).

All I can say is that there are never an abundance of nurses, and the medical center is always growing. TCH is currently in the process of building a brand new maternity center as we speak. The medical center is a fabulous place to work.

Laura

Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 PM

7 posts, read 21,440 times
Thank you for the info! I had no clue there was housing in the medical center, thats great!!!I want to hone in on my nursing skills, so starting out I want to work in med surge or telemetry, eventually ICU but I love the OR also. I wouldnt mind working at a childrens hospital in the OR, that interests me too.Thanks again Laura!!!

P.S. I attend school in VA living in MN, LA native And also, where would I find more info about medical center housing? Google it?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:31 PM

345 posts, read 1,072,825 times
I have to get in on this one. Would you recommend living around medical center for a single mom of two little ones, or would communting be better? ( I heard Cy-Fair ISD is great.)

Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalone4 View Post
I have to get in on this one. Would you recommend living around medical center for a single mom of two little ones, or would communting be better? ( I heard Cy-Fair ISD is great.)
You know, that's a bit tougher. I would not suggest living in the medical center if you have little ones. We moved out about 3 years ago (up to the Humble/Kingwood area) because I didn't want my kids going to Houston ISD schools. Plus there aren't a lot of good parks for young children. I know a lot of housing has developed there since we moved...but I from what I see it's more townhomes, condos, and patio homes.

Cy-Fair does have great schools...but SUCKY commute!! What are your working hours like? A 12 hour shift 3 days a week (typical nursing hours) might not be so bad. But I have a co-worker - we work 8hrs, 5 days a week - lives up near the Cy-Fair area, and she's ready to move in closer. She says she has at least a 1.5 hour commute one way, and she's sick of it.

I would suggest looking in Sugar Land, Meyerland, Missouri City, and Pearland as possible alternatives. They are closer to the medical center than Cy-Fair, and they all have good schools. Plus as a single mom, you should be able to find some good support systems within the community of these other areas. I am not condemning Cy-Fair...it's a great area. I just wouldn't live there if I worked in the Medical Center.

Laura

Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinedRN09 View Post
Thank you for the info! I had no clue there was housing in the medical center, thats great!!!I want to hone in on my nursing skills, so starting out I want to work in med surge or telemetry, eventually ICU but I love the OR also. I wouldnt mind working at a childrens hospital in the OR, that interests me too.Thanks again Laura!!!

P.S. I attend school in VA living in MN, LA native And also, where would I find more info about medical center housing? Google it?
I forgot to mention that Hermann Hospital also has a Children's Hospital too.

The Medical Center is just an area of Houston. It's called the Medical Center just because such a large number of hospitals are basically within spitting distance of each other. There isn't "Medical Center housing" per se. Any apartments in and around the area, are just that...in and around the area. Just a lot of residents, medical students, nurses, etc, choose to live around there because of the convenience. A lot of folks actually ride bikes and scooters to the hospitals.

Try Apartments for rent - ApartmentFinder.com and see what you can find. I don't know what you want to spend, or # of bedrooms you want, etc.

We used to live off of Holly Hall (on El Mundo). We lived in 2 different complexes on that street...both were nice. They also have condos on that street as well. They have some apartments that are nice that are closer to Reliant Stadium, but I can't remember the name of them.

Try that, and see what you come up with! Hope that helps!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 PM

345 posts, read 1,072,825 times
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be working 12 hrs per day, 3 days a week (I've been spoiled!). I will definately check out the places you listed. Thanks so much for the advice... the whole thing can be a little intimidating without a little help!

Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 PM

759 posts, read 3,171,365 times
How close do you want to be to the med center...a lot of single folks that work in the med center live in mid town. it is only 5-10 minutes away...and you can take the rail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinedRN09 View Post

Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 PM

103 posts, read 435,907 times
I would recommend you check out Pearland. That is, if you're interested in great ammenities, lots of kids and families. etc. And the drive would be so much better than that by the CyFair ISD you mentioned. My brother lives in Cypress and that 290 is killer. Yes, it would be great to be in the district you want, but you'd go mad with the commute. Someone said by Reliant, I agree with that too. There's plenty of work for you here, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston