Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM

103 posts, read 438,062 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this Texas property tax system. In CA it doesn't go up much because of the cap out there. Anyhow, here, I understand the more sq. footage you have the more you'll be appraised. So when I saw our preliminary appraisal paperwork for 'o8 I was surprised to see that they had us at 200 sq. feet more than our house plan. So I made copies of the house plan, and I did not agree with the comps they supplied me, my neighbors house (which is bigger than our home). They pretty much said their appraiser had us at more sq. footage and that's what they go by. Later I went back and saw our home inspection report (from when we first bought this house), which had us at what I think is the right sq. footage. Should I hire my own appraiser, is it even worth it?
Any advice appeciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
I don't know that they will lower your valuation because the square footage is off. Sure, it makes sense, but I wouldn't count on it.

On my house HCAD had it listed at 3126 sf when I bought it. Then one day I looked and it was 2626 sq ft. I have a large room above the garage and they said they were no longer counting it because it was separate from the house and did not have a bath or kitchen. So they just deducted 500 sf. Um...okay.

I did have an appraiser measure the house to get an accurate dimension and it turned out to be 2816 on the main house and 516 over the garage.

I own another house in the neighborhood that I had big plans on redoing, but has been sitting there in mothballs since March (long, stupid story), that they are claiming on HCAD to be 3875 sf. It has an atrium that I am betting has not been deducted out, so I am sure they are off on it as well. I am selling it and I am sure when it is measured for the appraisal it will be closer to 3500.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:43 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Be sure to read the disclaimer and explaination on how HCAD determines square footage at the bottom of the value page on the internet. It will clarify a few things for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston