Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 01:10 AM

132 posts, read 586,551 times

Advertisements

Its time to renew my contract and I was checking at powertochoose.org and it seems Dynowatt energy is one of the cheaper fixed rate providers.
Dynowatt
Their 12 month fixed is 12.7, which comes second only to Gexa's 12.6

Prices my fluctuate little more (up-down), but this is reasonable.

Dynowatt is offering 24 months for 13.5 and I am considering that as well, though that may be a long term.

Anyone here do business with Dynowatt ?

Experience/Tips appreciated.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,847,542 times
That's awesome because I checked this very thing tonight on some crazy website that said the cheapest in Houston was 15.9 cent/kilowat and I was freaking out as we pay 9 cent in Nashville.

I'm seeing 6 different companies that offer under 13 cent/kilowat with fixed rates and a 12 month term..

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,296,355 times
Just be careful with Dynowatt - and any electric company - make sure you are aware of when your contract ends and negotiate a new contract before this happens to you...

Last summer, when rates were going up, I read a few articles about price gouging by Dynowatt. When a customer's contract ended, the rates went up drastically. One of my coworkers had the same experience - his rate jumped to .27 - more than double his original contracted rate. Of course, he immediately switched, but still had a nearly $1000 August electric bill.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM

299 posts, read 1,013,131 times
I just switched last night from green mountain to dynowatt. I picked the 12 month $0.12 plan. I'll just make sure to mark my calendar so I'll remember when the contract is up.

I searched a lot of companies online and everyone has a ton of complaints from this past summer about gouging customers. It seems dynowatt was a little worse at hedging their bets than most and had to raise their rates a lot, but the vast majority of the complaints basically came down to "we didn't know our contract had ended and the variable rate went up so now our bill is high, this can't be legal".

If you stay on top of things and know the end date of your contract you can insulate your self from some of these price shocks, or at least be aware that they are a possiblity.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the tips.
That is one of the reasons I am planning to switch now, (Winter), because even if I forget to nengotiate a new contract by the end of the current one, I may not get a shocking surprise bill because the monthly variable rates are lower or equal to the fixed rate in winter (generally).

I am with spark energy now (monthly) and their 12 month rate is 13.1 . They have the highest early termination penalty - $ 300- though.
I do not have any complaints with them but I'd asked them to match the gexa offer and they refused.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM

How did you get a 12 cents plan from Dynowatt ? Any special promotion code ? The lowest I can see on their website is 12.6 cents ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggiegenes View Post
I just switched last night from green mountain to dynowatt. I picked the 12 month $0.12 plan. I'll just make sure to mark my calendar so I'll remember when the contract is up.

I searched a lot of companies online and everyone has a ton of complaints from this past summer about gouging customers. It seems dynowatt was a little worse at hedging their bets than most and had to raise their rates a lot, but the vast majority of the complaints basically came down to "we didn't know our contract had ended and the variable rate went up so now our bill is high, this can't be legal".

If you stay on top of things and know the end date of your contract you can insulate your self from some of these price shocks, or at least be aware that they are a possiblity.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 PM

I just submitted the online form for the switch to Dynowatt.

Though powertochoose.org shows that their 12 moth rate is 12.7, its actually 12.2 only. (Spark reduced their rates to 12.5 today - 1/6/09 ).

One good thing with Dynowatt is that they allow you to lock down to a lower rate one time, should their rates decrease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston456 View Post
Its time to renew my contract and I was checking at powertochoose.org and it seems Dynowatt energy is one of the cheaper fixed rate providers.
Dynowatt
Their 12 month fixed is 12.7, which comes second only to Gexa's 12.6

Prices my fluctuate little more (up-down), but this is reasonable.

Dynowatt is offering 24 months for 13.5 and I am considering that as well, though that may be a long term.

Anyone here do business with Dynowatt ?

Experience/Tips appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------

MODERATOR NOTE: Thread closed per OP's request. Thanks all for your contribution and participation!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-08-2009 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: mod note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston