Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM

39 posts, read 107,748 times

Advertisements

about those snake-away stuff you buy in the stores, folk's it's only grinded up moth balls go to wally-world buy a couple of boxes of just plain ole moth balls throw them in your yard around spring time keeps snakes at bay and whole lot cheaper . big old cat works too get some from a shelter .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:24 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
I don't think you can have an actual allergy to snakes - fear maybe. However getting bit by a venomous snake does require medical attention. If you do, best to cut off snakes head and take toner with you so they know what anti-venom, if any, is necessary.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
You don't want to get rid of snakes... then the area would be overrun with mice and rats. Snakes, while scary for some, are good for the environment and wild life cycle. Mice and rats carry diseases and can infest your house and attic and are great at destroying things in their wake.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don't think you can have an actual allergy to snakes - fear maybe. However getting bit by a venomous snake does require medical attention. If you do, best to cut off snakes head and take toner with you so they know what anti-venom, if any, is necessary.
Be careful cutting off the head--people get bit by dead snakes!

Old 03-14-2015, 07:36 AM

232 posts, read 463,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Exactly! Listen to Texas7. Why someone would say otherwise is reckless. Copperhead bites are not uncommon in Texas -- it's not happening daily but ask medical personnel in The Woodlands and they'll tell you they get a fair number of snake bite victims during a certain time of year. One of my neighbors in The Woodlands was bitten by a copperhead in his yard and he nearly lost his leg. He was in the hospital for a week and his ankle swelled like a balloon. He was pumped with antibiotics and they saved his leg but people do die from venomous snake bites and hospitals don't always have enough anti-venom. You're supposed to call ahead to check first if you've been bitten.

One of the reasons we moved from The Woodlands was because of the high number of snakes I personally encountered while walking my dog; some non-venemous and posed no threat but I did encounter some copperheads (one of which did turn towards us and slithered near me before I screamed and ran -- I guess he/she thought I was a threat because I froze with fear and didn't move away). There are coral snakes as well in The Woodlands but like someone said, they tend to hide and not want to bother people. And of course the water moccasins in/near water and the rattlesnakes. Those four snakes are the ones you need to look out for.

In the city of Houston, I've only seen ribbon snakes (in the Arboretum or dead on the street) but there are a lot of stray cats in the city of Houston so that probably helps bring down the snake numbers in certain areas. So while I'm not familiar with snakes in your particular area, I can tell you about my personal experience in The Woodlands and tell you that if you're near woods or water then yes, you can expect to at least see or hear of the occasional snake.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:04 AM

498 posts, read 837,518 times
15 times as many people die of being struck by lightning annually, than those from snake bites here in the U.S. (80 vs. 5, on average).

My house backs up to a bayou, and I've only seen the non-poisonous variety, i.e. garters, rats, and water snakes. I've seen more rat snakes be mistaken for copperheads, much the same for water snakes as water moccasins. My advice? Get an outdoor cat. I have a manx that lives in my garage that has killed four snakes in the last two years, as well as about a dozen field mice (that I know of).

Old 03-14-2015, 09:34 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,730 times
I'll bet snakes are having a conversation, wondering what to do about all those humans. Snakes were there first, and their habitat was invaded by humans.

Be that as it may, in all my 18 years in Houston, I saw one snake, and it was a garden snake in the back yard. But I would expect more to be seen in newer suburbs. I would definitely be careful walking through any woods or fields. Seems like that would be the case just about anywhere in the country, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston