Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wait behind the line or in the intersection while waiting to turn left (while the light is gr
I wait behind the line, of course! 34 24.29%
I wait out in the intersection, duh! 97 69.29%
I never really thought about it. 9 6.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:27 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times

Advertisements

Try to apply parking brake when temperature is below zero outside. You won't be able to move the car next day because it gets frozen. Ye, California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,846 times
Default My two bits worth

It is NOT illegal to enter an intersection to make a left turn while the light is in your favor (green). Neither is it illegal to complete your turn after the light has turned red when necessary.

Having said that, it is not always a good idea to do so. When I face this situation, I make several judgments. First, is there room for my vehicle in the roadway into which I am turning? Second, how heavy is that oncoming traffic? Third, is there already another vehicle in the intersection waiting to make the same turn?

If the answer to any of these three questions is not favorable to making my turn quickly and safely, I stay out of the intersection. The second question is the one I worry about most. Any large group of drivers will contain at least one or two who believe that if the traffic light controlling their movement was green in the last five minutes, they have the right to go through the intersection. They won't hesitate to run you down and then tell the cops you "came out of nowhere."

Old 11-07-2009, 11:29 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I had to take the Texas drivers test a couple years ago. I was taught like the OP to move into the intersection to make your intention known. But in Texas you are supposed to wait behind the line untiil traffic is clear and then turn. I told the examiner thats how I was taught in another state, but she said its wrong in Texas.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,846 times
There are just so many things to say about this post that it is hard to know where to begin.

First, that guy from Canada and you are both correct about making left turns.

Second, perhaps you should spend some time in Germany. They do have problems with the autobahn. Accidents in Germany are often spectacular and spectacularly fatal due to excessive speed. Additionally, most autobahns do now have speed limits at least part of the time. The lack of speed limits was originally mandated by the low traffic density. Low traffic density was the result of the extensive economic damage the Germans suffered in the Second World War. As the German standard of living rose and more and more Germans could afford to drive, traffic density increased. At times they will have a "stau" (traffic jam, gridlock) on the autobahn which is also spectacular. The one thing the Germans do right is their government mandates driver training for all licensed drivers. It is extremely expensive but each driver is actually given hands-on training in operating a car. For instance, they don't tell you how to recover from a skid, or show you, they have you actually do it. If you can't, you don't get a drivers license.

Third, all those "policies" and "rules" serve a purpose. The more drivers follow the "policies" and "rules" the more the accident rates and fatality rates go down. Thinking "outside the box" while driving often results in motorists ending up "inside the box," six feet under. One may get around the traffic laws, but the laws of physics are immutable.

Fourth, if you want to know why a government is doing something, ask your political science teacher not your sociology teacher.

Last, but not least, calling people morons, while emotionally satisfying, doesn't really do any good because...

People Are Crazy!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
But in Texas you are supposed to wait behind the line untiil traffic is clear and then turn. I told the examiner thats how I was taught in another state, but she said its wrong in Texas.
I'm confused. What you say in the red part (I added the colors for clarity) you contradict yourself in the green part. If the red part referred to another state, it would make sense. For example...

But in California you are supposed to wait behind the line untiil traffic is clear and then turn. I told the examiner thats how I was taught in another state, but she said its wrong in Texas.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:59 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
I got a ticket for doing this, turning left onto Bay Area Blvd from El Camino Real. I pulled into the intersection when the light was still green, an oncoming vehicle moved from the left turn lane to the thru-lane, delaying my left turn, and the light turned red. I turned and was promptly pulled over by a City of Houston cop and given a ticket. The judge read the traffic code, consulted the instructions in the Texas Drivers' Handbook, and dismissed the ticket.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm confused. What you say in the red part (I added the colors for clarity) you contradict yourself in the green part. If the red part referred to another state, it would make sense. For example...

But in California you are supposed to wait behind the line untiil traffic is clear and then turn. I told the examiner thats how I was taught in another state, but she said its wrong in Texas.
Maybe poor sentence structure rather than contradiction. In another state I was taught to ease into the intersection, signal on, to show your intent. Thats what I told the examiner, she said you need to wait behind the line in Texas.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I got a ticket for doing this, turning left onto Bay Area Blvd from El Camino Real. I pulled into the intersection when the light was still green, an oncoming vehicle moved from the left turn lane to the thru-lane, delaying my left turn, and the light turned red. I turned and was promptly pulled over by a City of Houston cop and given a ticket. The judge read the traffic code, consulted the instructions in the Texas Drivers' Handbook, and dismissed the ticket.
Whew, you scared me when I first started reading your post, thinking "No way they gave you a ticket!" Glad to see the judge understands the law.

What's surprising is that a cop would give you a ticket. It's not like this is news or anything. Been a law for years. Maybe he thought you wouldn't fight it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Maybe poor sentence structure rather than contradiction. In another state I was taught to ease into the intersection, signal on, to show your intent. Thats what I told the examiner, she said you need to wait behind the line in Texas.
Then she is just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 PM

130 posts, read 455,528 times
Technically, you are breaking the law if you are in the intersection when the light is red. However, there is generally a wait time to let traffic clear. Police will give a ticket if you arein the intersection when the light is red and cameras at monitored intersections will take you photo and you will get a fine. Youyr will not clear the intersection in time generally before it becomes a problem for you (and others).

Old 11-13-2009, 08:28 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Indeed this is a bit complicated and rules seems to vary from state to state
Driving In The USA And Canada - Left Turns At Intersections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston