Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
This might come as an utter shock to you, but I'll let you in on a little secret (whisper): Not all black people look alike (i.e., are dark-skinned).

I know one thing, the cops sure as heck didn't mistaken him for a white guy. Otherwise he'd probably still be playing baseball now.

Glad to see the Justice Department has gotten involved. Can't wait till Mr. Holder gets his hands on this. Bellaire PD is history.
Oh yeah him. The one that just called America a bunch of cowards simply because people like to choose their own circle of friends. We sure have been getting some outstanding officials elected in Washington lately from tax evaders to closeted racists to who knows what next.

I don't know if you were aware, but attorney general has little to do with a case the county & state will more than likely be the first to investigate & handle accordingly.

This wasn't about race, it was about mistaken identity. Doesn't happen very often, but when it does it usually only makes headlines if the person was of color. Remember what happened a few months back with the guy that shot a couple of kids breaking into his neighbors house?

I wish Robbie a speedy recovery.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-18-2009 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
This might come as an utter shock to you, but I'll let you in on a little secret (whisper): Not all black people look alike (i.e., are dark-skinned).

I know one thing, the cops sure as heck didn't mistaken him for a white guy. Otherwise he'd probably still be playing baseball now.

Glad to see the Justice Department has gotten involved. Can't wait till Mr. Holder gets his hands on this. Bellaire PD is history.
Moderator cut: personal attack

My point is, he doesn't look African-American, in ANY way. He looks maybe hispanic, or Central American, or a blend of asian/samoan, etc...heck, maybe even Dominican. Black? No.

I realize this is just my opinion, and I'm not defending the Bellaire police in any way, I think the whole thing is horrible--but dude--Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by houstoner; 02-18-2009 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: personal attacks - see DM

Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Most Dominicans have varying degrees of African ancestry.

At any rate, he looks like someone who is not white.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Most Dominicans have varying degrees of African ancestry.

At any rate, he looks like someone who is not white.
Would this story have gotten the same attention had a Hispanic or Black cop shot a White kid? Absolutely not.

I'm not condoning the actions of the law officer by any means, but the last thing you wanna do no matter who you are is provoke a cop with a loaded 9 milli in his holster. They have the power to let you go on your way peacefully & they have the power to take your life away immediately no questions asked.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
they have the power to take your life away immediately no questions asked.
They do?

Let's just do away with the whole court system then. They think you're committing a crime, they put a bullet in your head. Sound good?

This isn't a Judge Dredd comic.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
They do?

Let's just do away with the whole court system then. They think you're committing a crime, they put a bullet in your head. Sound good?

This isn't a Judge Dredd comic.
The guy obviously made a sudden move the officer thought to have been threatening at the time. In a city like Houston where police officers are killed in the line of duty all the time by unsuspecting criminals they are trained to react with deadly force as such. If I were Tolan I would've done what I was told to do until the whole ordeal was over with & was let go on my merry way.

I've been profiled before too simply because I drove a "souped up" Honda & I'm White. They even tried to accuse me of being high & searched my whole car for drugs throwing all of my belongings on the side of the interstate. I was as sober as the Pope & have never been in trouble with the law because of drugs or alcohol in my life. This happened in Madisonville, Texas on my way to Houston during Christmas. Some cops just love to harass people because they get a power trip out of it.

**** happens you just have to learn to deal with it in the best way possible at the time & move on with your life. Its too bad the kid had to take a bullet though to realize that & thankfully he is still alive. Things could have been worse.

In the end the officer will more than likely be let go off the squad & the family will have their day in court.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-18-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM

You were profiled for being a possible street racer, what with the souped-up Honda and all. Your being white had nothing to do with it. You're probably right about everything else.

It's one thing to keep your cool while you're on the side of the road as the cops turn your car inside out and another thing to do it while they're roughing up your mother in the driveway of your own home. Remember that too.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
You were profiled for being a possible street racer, what with the souped-up Honda and all. Your being white had nothing to do with it. You're probably right about everything else.

It's one thing to keep your cool while you're on the side of the road as the cops turn your car inside out and another thing to do it while they're roughing up your mother in the driveway of your own home. Remember that too.
Yeah sure, a street racer with no previous criminal records & cruise control set to 65 mph while driving in the slow lane. Then to throw my **** out on I-45 while they search my car for drugs? I don't think so...

If I would have denied a search, my car would've probably been impounded then I'd be stuck with a $200 or $300 towing bill for nothing not to mention the hassle & inconvienience of my time. No thanks...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Moderator cut: orphaned comment/personal attack

Your assumption* (mod edit) of his race clearly influenced your contention that this wasn't a racially-motivated incident.

I mean, if he doesn't look black, how can it be a racist incident?

Riiiight.

And even if he was any of the other ethnicities listed above, what freakin' difference does it make? This young fella suffered an egregious violation of his civil rights and will have to live with it for the rest of his blessed life.

Not to mention his family too, who will NEVER be able to psychologically purge the scene of their beloved son being shot nearly to death by some racist dirtbag pig scum who suffered nothing more than a bruised ego that night.

Moderator cut: orphaned comment/personal attack

Last edited by houstoner; 02-18-2009 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: orphaned post/personal attacks - see DM

Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah sure, a street racer with his cruise control set to 65 mph while driving in the slow lane. Then to throw my **** out on I-45 while they search my car for drugs? I don't think so...
They were looking for a way to dick with you. I don't dispute that in the slightest. Redneck small town cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston