Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
I assume you're young and single. If I were in that category I would check out Midtown between downtown and the museum district and adjacent to Montrose (where sits my favorite restaurant Baba Yega). Many midrise residential buildings there and restaurants and clubs all around, and Spec's main location. You're 5 minutes from the SW freeway for getting you to the Village, Whole Foods, and West Loop quickly (10 min) and really near museums, Hermann Park, Rice U, Med Center, and next to downtown. Really popular fast growing area and it would be inadvisable to not check it out. Houston has vastly upgraded since I moved here from Austin 20 years ago. Another 20 years and this is a world class place.

Though she would need to consider the fact, on the whole Midtown is more expensive than Montrose, and there are not nearly as many different housing options; However, Midtown should not be missed if one is Inner Loop apartment searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:18 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
You're 5 minutes from the SW freeway for getting you to the Village, Whole Foods, and West Loop quickly (10 min) and really near museums, Hermann Park, Rice U, Med Center, and next to downtown. Really popular fast growing area and it would be inadvisable to not check it out.

Make no mistake- it's a 10 minute drive outside of the afternoon rush hours. Between downtown & the Galleria (both ways) it is not uncommon to take 30+ minutes from 4-7pm, more with an accident. Many city streets in that area are inadequate/obsolete and don't save much if any time. That whole corridor you described is the densest part of town and is pretty hosed up during that time of day.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
It really depends on where you're going, I guess. I live close to the Montrose/former 4th Ward/Midtown border, and I don't take the freeways very often. The surface streets are usually good enough because there are so many you could take. It's fairly easy to take Westheimer, Alabama, Richmond, or San Felipe to the Galleria, or take Kirby, Buffalo Speedway, Weslayan, or Greenbriar/Shepherd to get to say, Meyerland or Bellaire. A nicer, more scenic drive, too. Traffic might be bad, but it moves usually. The worst spot for gridlock on 59 heading north is right around Shepherd. But again, you've got a number of surface streets along the way you could exit to. That's what I do anyway because sitting in traffic makes me break out in hives!

Last edited by houstoner; 01-12-2009 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,773,910 times
If single live inside the Loop. There are likely plenty of places to live that $800/mo will do. Midtown/Montrose are best areas to look. Galleria is just outside loop and may be a bit cheaper.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
I don't think the Galleria is cheaper... probably more expensive.

I mean "Galleria proper" not out on Fountain View or Chimney Rock. That area will be cheaper, but it also kisses the bad part of SW Houston.

If I were single, personally I wouldn't consider the Galleria to live. I would consider Midtown or Montrose though.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,119 times
Thanks so much, everyone!! I really appreciate your help!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:43 PM

32 posts, read 94,109 times
OK, first off..welcome back to Houston! I too moved away to Manhattan for awhile then came back to Houston. I am going to be straight forward with you...you will not find an apartment unless it is dingy for under 800 anywhere in Montrose/Midtown. However, there is one apt complex off of Richmond near St. Thomas that has one bedrooms for like $600. It is not the nicest, but it is do-able and safe..plenty of young students! I lived in Midtown for a couple of years and paid $1000-1300 for my one bedroom. If you can afford that, I say do it! You are within walking distance of restaurants and bars. The Washington corridor is also real big, but just as expensive as Midtown. I have a couple of friends that live in the Bellaire area and pay a reasonable amount for a one bedroom. Townhomes, urban living apts and luxury high rises are big in Houston right now and you pay for the locale. I would definitely check with Craigslist about duplexes and garage apartments. I LOVE the Montrose and Museum District area. I also lived in that area for 4 years. If I ever decided to move back to Houston, my husband and I would definitely look into buying a home or townhome there. Please be careful when choosing an apt as well. Even though Houston has cleaned up its act, that area can become rough at times with the young teenagers. I would also look into the Buffalo Speedway/ Greenway Plaza area.

When it comes to commuting for work, back road it the whole way. I never got on the freeway when I lived and worked in the loop. Please msg me if you want any details on apts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston