U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM

26 posts, read 44,018 times

Advertisements

Hi!
This is my first post - that lurker thread brought me out of my shell.

We have been in Clear Lake ('The CL') for 10.5 years now. My husband and I have both worked at NASA since we moved here. I have an amazing opportunity to work for BP in the Energy Corridor. Hubby will never leave Mission Control.

Where in the heck should we move? I can't commute to the EC from Clear Lake. We have a 2 year old and need good schools, too. Our price range is max $350k, but may be able to stretch to $400 with a good rate. Any suggestions?

We prefer established neighborhoods, and hate generic communities where every other house is the same. We are looking for a legacy home to put roots down. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 PM

759 posts, read 2,837,540 times
Bellaire? Maybe the best of both worlds. Driving from Sugar Land to NASA is a pain. If i am not mistaken, BP is still on 9/80 schedules and depending on your department, you could possibly work 3 days a week and 1-2 days at home....So you could stay in Clear Lake. When I am in Houston, I try to only go into the office 3 days a week (blackberry/netbook what else do you need these days). Unfortunately I work in Europe a lot, so this makes it difficult.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,674,173 times
That's a toughie. It seems like you have four issues to balance. Schools, price range, commute, and the character of the neighborhood. Since price range is fairly fixed, there will probably be some give and take in the other departments.

If you "split the difference" and move to an area inside the loop like Timbergrove, Heights, etc west of downtown, or Eastwood, Idylwood, just east of it, that solves commute issues by putting you somewhere and the middle as well as the generic neighborhood issue, (although some areas may be too full of character for you) but leaves you coming up short on schools. Private schools or magnets would probably have to be involved.

You could probably go somewhere along the south belt, Pearland, maybe over to Sugarland, both use the beltway to commute to your respective places within reason, and get the good schools. Most neighborhoods there, while very nice, would fit my definition of generic however.

One exception in that direction would be Venetian Estates out in Sugarland. Houses there date back to the 50's and most front lakes and are on larger lots. It is expensive though, and would push your price limits but it is not generic.

I guess one of the other questions would be how open are you to transitional neighborhoods and would private schools be an option?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks so much, icon. I'll find out more about the job at my 2nd interview on Friday. A flexible schedule could solve the problem entirely. However, I was looking forward to getting a new house. ( :

Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
My neighbor commutes from Sugar Land to NASA every day, but his wife works in Sugar Land so that's why they are here.

And my husband commutes from Sugar Land to an office in Clear Lake as well, when he isn't traveling on business. Because Sugar Land to Clear Lake is so far, he tries to work from home at least one day per week.

Sugar Land has nice established neighborhoods and excellent schools, but you may not like the style of house as the master planned communities might fall into your definition of generic. Personally, I like the houses in Sugar Land but I know not everyone agrees.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,674,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Unfortunately I work in Europe a lot....
Unfortunately? When I used to be in corporate America and had to travel, it was places like Macon, Georgian and Detroit! Europe? Cry me a river!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM

Hi Modster,
Since we've been in CL for so long, I don't know if I could adjust to a fully 'transitional' neighborhood, especially with my 2 yr old. Private schools could be an option since we are used to paying outrageous daycare costs anyway. I've never heard of Venetian Estates - I'll hop on HAR and check it out. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSean View Post
Thanks so much, icon. I'll find out more about the job at my 2nd interview on Friday. A flexible schedule could solve the problem entirely. However, I was looking forward to getting a new house. ( :
My advice is to get the offer before asking about a flexible schedule. You will have more negotiating power if they already want you.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM

759 posts, read 2,837,540 times
I agree. you can always turn down the offer....Plus you will be going against traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My advice is to get the offer before asking about a flexible schedule. You will have more negotiating power if they already want you.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Unfortunately? When I used to be in corporate America and had to travel, it was places like Macon, Georgian and Detroit! Europe? Cry me a river!
The problem with business travel is that it often doesn't matter whether you are in Topeka or Paris. Airplane travel isn't fun any more, conference rooms look alike worldwide, and hotel rooms get old when you'd rather be home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or