U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 PM

8,961 posts, read 15,471,536 times

Advertisements

I like this post. But let me add in Bold the reason's I don't commute to it.
See, happiness and good things can be found everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I understand everyone has their preferences but open your mind a little! There is no need for bashing other people's choices. Life is what YOU make it, no matter WHERE you are. I'm under 35 and there is plenty for me to do around my Neighborhood, and we don't spend 2 hours in the car (it's more like 5 minutes) and our community is certainly not soulless...the soul is in the PEOPLE. The lack of diversity around me is staggering considering the diversity of houses.

I love spending time with my neighbors, having parties and barbeques, shooting pool or watching football, and just chatting about our kids or politics or music...what have you. If I want to do something different I just drive a mile or two. Sure there are higher quality events and restaurants all around but it's more about your own attitude that makes things around you enjoyable.

Where I come from we didn't have MPCs. We had lots of city charm and grunge, trendy upscale places in areas where you also had to take a little trash. It was interesting to be sure, but I prefer the family focus of my neighborhood. One thing everyone really seems to have in common where I live now is our children are at the top of our priorities, especially their education. Parent involvement in schools is super high and the schools reflect that. There's also a huge supply of respecting people's privacy and space.THAT is the main reason we don't commute.

*sigh* why all the hate? life is too short, live and let live. And drink a barrel full of wine, because you can walk home afterwards!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 PM

339 posts, read 604,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I grew up in a MPC. I got out as soon as I was old enough to live on my own. There is nothing to do for someone under the age of 35. Who wants to drive an hour just to get to a bar, club, or nice non chain restaurant. When I have children there is no way I will bring them up in a MPC. I want them to experience the world. Not some fake Disney looking development. I will never understand why all of you would want to commute 2 hours a day for work just so you can live in a soulless community.

Do you really think you have to drive an hour to go to a bar and club? Those are everywhere even in the burbs. Just cause the MPC you grew up in was soulless doesnt mean they all are.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 PM

7,731 posts, read 18,261,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
Do you really think you have to drive an hour to go to a bar and club? Those are everywhere even in the burbs. Just cause the MPC you grew up in was soulless doesnt mean they all are.

I can't count how many bars are within 15 minutes from the house. There's also a junky looking club nestled between an apartment complex, Kroger and strip mall. Also just on the border of the MPC I know of:

3 smoke shops
2 lingerie / toy / romance stores
1 bath house
1 24-hour news stand

How's that for soul!!!!

We used to have one of those 7-7-7 game rooms but it was shut down not long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston