U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 04:23 PM

488 posts, read 1,261,269 times

Advertisements

I am just curious what makes a master planned community different than any other community? Is because they offer special amenities?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,416,122 times
The HOA's tend to be stronger in master planned communities. That's why all the houses are identical. They also tend to be gated creating a false sense of security.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:28 PM
cla

898 posts, read 2,891,199 times
MPC's are generally larger, and contain retail, office space, etc within the community (the use of which is planned from the start), as opposed to just the periphery of the community.

Very few MPC's that I have seen are gated.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
MPC's are generally larger, and contain retail, office space, etc within the community (the use of which is planned from the start), as opposed to just the periphery of the community.

Very few MPC's that I have seen are gated.
You're right. The one I grew up in was not gated and the ones around where I lived were also not gated.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM

9,274 posts, read 22,803,007 times
MPC's are OWNED by a corporation throughout the development of it.This can take upwards of 40+ years. Therefore people are living within an owned area/corporation. The Corporation decides what will go where, what color and what location, and what is good for it's residents and provide what they think their residents need.

Neighborhoods are owned by the homeowners. There's a plan for the subdivison,and a HOA usually run by volunteers or paid employees of the HOA. But there is no corporate entity "planning" it out.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:35 PM

They seem to offer alot of extras that you do not necessarily see in some stand alone subdivisions. They also seem to have alot of community activites and events. Sounds like the HOA runs things though!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM

I have not seen any master planned communities that are completely gated. Sometimes certain neighborhoods inside the community are gated. Those are usually the $$$ sections.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM

8,159 posts, read 26,460,053 times
In the MPC of 'Clear Lake City' for instance, I don't know of any gated neighborhoods.

The houses here in my hood are not identical really. There are semi-custom tract homes here from about half a dozen different developers. The brick & wood colors are all different from house to house. There are similar models spread all over the neighborhood (including 'mirror-flipped' plans) but it isn't apparent unless you're looking for it. This is pretty typical around the MPC now that I think of it. And there is a nice share of more unique, older homes near the defunct golf course.

What's 'identical' are the trees between the sidewalk and street, trimmed to 9 feet so people don't get poked when they walk. The sidewalks are also maintained properly, as the trees wreak havoc on them. There are no bikes, ladders, etc in front yards on weekdays. The HOA's rule with an iron fist on these items. I personally don't think it's a bad thing. God forbid we keep the trash factor to a minimum! The problem is our HOA is phone-shy, terrible with paperwork and doesn't seem well managed from a business/office standpoint.

Outside of the neighborhood and within the MPC are strip malls galore. They have lots of different things in them: banks, drug/grocery, liquor, doctors, vets, trinkets, barbers, etc sometimes with a gem of a mom & pop restaurant within. They are connected via walking/biking trails so you can do that or simply drive. I walk to the haircutter, grocery store and bank all the time. I can also walk to the eye doctor which is great, since I hate driving dialated! Anyway, the trails are lined with trees, most no more than 15-20 years old. Before you know it, they will be just as majestic as what you find by Rice U. Some are getting there.

I think this is a good example of a well-planned MPC. It is fully developed and with synced traffic lights, traffic really isn't an issue as long as you stay east of Hwy 3 (Houston city limit). I understand there are plenty of other (cheaper) MPC's that aren't developed so well.

Last edited by tstone; 01-08-2009 at 08:57 PM..

Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,664,392 times
I've never seen a "Master" planned community. Most all of them are lame.... The nicer ones are usually the older 60's and 70's regular neighborhoods in my opinion. All that other mess (gates, HOA's, etc...) is for the birds.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
In the MPC of 'Clear Lake City' for instance, I don't know of any gated neighborhoods.

The houses here in my hood are not identical really. There are semi-custom tract homes here from about half a dozen different developers. The brick & wood colors are all different from house to house. There are similar models spread all over the neighborhood (including 'mirror-flipped' plans) but it isn't apparent unless you're looking for it. This is pretty typical around the MPC now that I think of it. And there is a nice share of more unique, older homes near the defunct golf course.

What's 'identical' are the trees between the sidewalk and street, trimmed to 9 feet so people don't get poked when they walk. The sidewalks are also maintained properly, as the trees wreak havoc on them. There are no bikes, ladders, etc in front yards on weekdays. The HOA's rule with an iron fist on these items. I personally don't think it's a bad thing. God forbid we keep the trash factor to a minimum! The problem is our HOA is phone-shy, terrible with paperwork and doesn't seem well managed from a business/office standpoint.

Outside of the neighborhood and within the MPC are strip malls galore. They have lots of different things in them: banks, drug/grocery, liquor, doctors, vets, trinkets, barbers, etc sometimes with a gem of a mom & pop restaurant within. They are connected via walking/biking trails so you can do that or simply drive. I walk to the haircutter, grocery store and bank all the time. I can also walk to the eye doctor which is great, since I hate driving dialated! Anyway, the trails are lined with trees, most no more than 15-20 years old. Before you know it, they will be just as majestic as what you find by Rice U. Some are getting there.

I think this is a good example of a well-planned MPC. It is fully developed and with synced traffic lights, traffic really isn't an issue as long as you stay east of Hwy 3 (Houston city limit). I understand there are plenty of other (cheaper) MPC's that aren't developed so well.
That description sounds very frightening. It's like a breeding ground for robots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or