U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 06:56 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,686,483 times

Advertisements

Are there any houses in the Galveston area for rent? Jobs of any kind in the area?

If so please let me know. 3 bedroom house or APT would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 PM

872 posts, read 2,554,667 times
Did you check with the folks on galveston.com?

When we were there at Christmas, I did see a few For Rent signs by companies (House Company and maybe Charna Graber?). I think they both have websites. From what we have been told by friends and family there, a lot of places have jacked up the rents after Ike. For example, the house my husband's uncle just moved into (3 bdrm, 2 bath, on Ave R-ish) would have rented for $800 MAX before Ike; rent is now quoted at $1200. House sister-in-law is renting now (3 bedroom, 2 bath, around 80th and Stewart) would have been $900 or so, but is now stated to be $1500. Both are renting through the FEMA program (or maybe HUD, but linked to FEMA somehow?). Again I don't know this firsthand, but from what we have been told by people there, the landlords are quoting the higher rents because this is then the amount they get paid from the program for the first 6 months - then resident starts to pay a small part of the rent but the program still pays the owner the rest... Both houses did have damage but have been repaired (and/or partially gutted, then repaired) to at least their former status. We know a few other people who are renting, but I don't know what the rent is. Anyway, you might want to check the websites for some of the real estate companies there to get an idea on rentals. When we lived there, we always rented because I never planned on being there long-term (but ended up staying about 6 years!) and found those houses through the newspaper, but I don't know if it's as good of a resource right now...

Don't know about jobs as everyone we know has returned to their previous jobs. One of the in-laws does work at the docks - used to do stuff for the cruise ships as well as loading/unloading the other ships. He is still doing stuff there, but the amount of work has been greatly reduced. I don't know if there are any security-type jobs there (I am trying to remember and think that you used to do something like that???) right now.

We are going down this weekend to visit a sick relative. It will be a very quick trip - driving there in the morning, visiting, then driving back the same night - but I will try to keep my eyes open and let you know if I see anything housing or work related.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:28 PM

I have a message I am waiting for replies at galveston.com, does not hurt to have many lines in the water. =)

Thanks Buffy.. have a safe trip.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM

So buffy How did your trip go? Any info?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,249,199 times
How about Dickinson area? I have a 3 bedroom house I may rent with included furniture if it doesn't sell by April.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM

Send me a PM.. we maybe able to make a deal. =)

Old 01-12-2009, 12:49 AM

4,679 posts, read 8,261,832 times
I'm still not 100% sure I'm moving down but am in the middle of the hiring process with the Galveston County Sheriffs Office and I know they're hiring...

Galveston County Sheriffs Office - SOLIS - Sheriff's Online Information System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or