U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 PM

125 posts, read 382,865 times

Advertisements

Hey, (you might find a similar thread in the Austin section) me and a couple of my friends are considering University of Houston as a college that the 3 of us will go to.

This school piqued my interest because it has been ranked #1 and #2 (2007) for their entrepreneur degree. I have looked on websites and it is not that hard to get into, and the rankings are a bit low.

My question is should I consider going here, even if its not considered a good school, but has a great entrepreneur program?

Also, is there a lot to do for a young(er) crowd?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
UH's new President is extremely dynamic and when she says her aim is to make UH into a Tier 1 school, it is easy to believe she will succeed.

And the Bauer College of Business is top ranked, as you've heard.

Have you seen the Wikipedia list of UH alumni? Lots of famous people.

I am not sure about the social life, except that I can't imagine that there isn't anything to do considering we are talking about a large school situated in a city as large as Houston. The key is to get involved with specific groups and activities to make new friends.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Wow, thanks for the help!

It makes me a bit more confident on going to U of H, and I also agree, if you want it to be fun, you gotta get involved...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM

398 posts, read 921,973 times
Bauer College of Business also has a Professional Selling program...it has received lots of positive reviews. Also, the program allows you to create many contacts within the sales field...thus creating job opportunities. Best of luck!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM

5 posts, read 8,674 times
I applied to UH also, my major is political science though im trying to do the law school thing. I wonder how the past alumni liked UH. I hope it goes tier 1 while im attending

To the OP where are you looking at living while attending?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportBorn View Post
Hey, (you might find a similar thread in the Austin section) me and a couple of my friends are considering University of Houston as a college that the 3 of us will go to.

This school piqued my interest because it has been ranked #1 and #2 (2007) for their entrepreneur degree. I have looked on websites and it is not that hard to get into, and the rankings are a bit low.

My question is should I consider going here, even if its not considered a good school, but has a great entrepreneur program?

Also, is there a lot to do for a young(er) crowd?

thanks
I attend TSU (located across the street from UH) and we usually walk over to UH and bowl and go to the game room (which usually is pretty crowded. Most of the parties are off campus, and that's why you won't find many people around campus at night. You won't really get a college experience at UH, I'd suggest UT in Austin for that, but if you care more about education than UH.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Thanks!

I heard that part of U of H's campus is in the ghetto, (central or something like that)

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I heard that part of U of H's campus is in the ghetto, (central or something like that)

Can anyone clarify?

It's located within 3rd ward, but 3rd Ward is not as bad as people say it is. It dosen't really get bad until you get into northern 3rd ward. Lots of nice beautiful homes and remodeling going on around the area. Once your on the campus of UH, it is like a whole different world from its surroundings and you won't see many crackheads and prostitutes (like at TSU!) as you do on UH campus.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 PM

4,516 posts, read 11,311,550 times
In theory if you plan to be an entrepreneur and start your own business then it doesn't matter how your college is ranked because only employers care about such things and you will be working for yourself. Also frankly undergrad is not law school, you won't find too many employers who wouldn't hire you because you went to UH.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
Quote:
Thanks!

Can anyone clarify?

There are definitely some seedy areas surrounding the campus. Once you are on campus, though, it is quite pleasant. Trees and fountains and landscaping.

Don't eat at the campus Chili's, though...the food is awful.

Last edited by Topaz; 01-09-2009 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or