U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 PM

235 posts, read 688,321 times

Advertisements

Looking at Benders Landing. Nice pretty neighborhood and pretty houses.
Looking at the schools though they're all rated at a ho-hum Acceptable rating. Normally you would see at least a Recognized rating in the Elementary school. Any experience with those schools and Conroe ISD in general? Also, I noticed they're not very diverse - on the order of 80% white with 15% hispanic and only a sprinkling of black and Asian. I'm concerned about that but not sure if I'm blowing it out of proportion.
Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 AM

876 posts, read 1,416,178 times
trust me....you do not want diversity in that area. now...if you were looking for diversity in Cinco Ranch that would be ok. But, in conroe most of the hispanics are little thug wannabes. the only Jr. Highs i would want my kid going to in conroe isd is McCullough, Knox, and maybe York. If you can find a home that feeds into one of those jr. highs you are ok. otherwise......stay away. sorry, it's just the truth.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:49 PM

On Conroe ISD's website, the house I'm looking at shows:
Elementary - Broadway
Intermediate - Cox
Jr High - York
HS - Oak Ridge HS

I have no idea what the difference is between Intermediate and Jr High. I always use them interchangeably.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM

elementary is k-4 and intermediate is 5th and 6th. junior high consists of 7th and 8th graders. york junior high is in the same general area as McCullough and Knox junior high. but, mccullough and knox are on the other side of I-45. out of the 3 i would put york at the bottom. but, the other two are excellent schools....especially mccullough. if your kids go to mccullough they will go to The Woodlands High School. It is definitely the best high school in conroe isd. it is not the newest....but the quality of kids and teachers is above the others. from what i have heard.....the kids basically run Oak Ridge High School.

i don't mean to sound negative. i am just being honest with you. i used to teach in conroe isd and i have several friends that still do at different campuses. if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 PM

343 posts, read 827,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
trust me....you do not want diversity in that area. now...if you were looking for diversity in Cinco Ranch that would be ok. But, in conroe most of the hispanics are little thug wannabes. the only Jr. Highs i would want my kid going to in conroe isd is McCullough, Knox, and maybe York. If you can find a home that feeds into one of those jr. highs you are ok. otherwise......stay away. sorry, it's just the truth.

Its posts like this that make me hesitant to move over there. Me and my fiance are both hispanic and recently bought a land in bender's landing. Since we are not to familiar with the area we were at least hoping for it to be a little diverse. You make it sound like its a horrible thing. I know you had good intentions just that these type of comments raise an eyebrow.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 PM

You would think with a tax base like Benders Landing they would have better schools.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
Its posts like this that make me hesitant to move over there. Me and my fiance are both hispanic and recently bought a land in bender's landing. Since we are not to familiar with the area we were at least hoping for it to be a little diverse. You make it sound like its a horrible thing. I know you had good intentions just that these type of comments raise an eyebrow.

there is a difference between going to a school with hispanics whose parents are well educated and going to a school with hispanics whose parents allow them to be little gangster wannabes. it is the same as living in caney creek as opposed to the woodlands. in caney creek there are a lot of rednecks and "white trash" but in the woodlands the kid's parents are educated and intelligent. so, every race has their good and bad. bender's landing is very nice. i wouldn't regret buying in there. i'm just saying, a high school like the woodlands high school is going to be more desirable than oak ridge to most people.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM

21 posts, read 108,301 times
As opposed to the upper-middle class white parents who let their kids run around like little gangsta wannabes in their BMWs. Please. I taught in a lower income area, with lots of minority families. Some of the nicest families I ever met were Hispanics immigrants, who would take English classes just to help their kids do their homework so their kids could have a better life. There are people in every race who live up to their stereotypes....including in the Woodlands, where Mom is off getting a pedicure and Dad is on business overseas while Junior is shooting the neighbor's dog with a BB gun or drag racing on the Parkway. Is every family in the Woodlands like that? Good Lord, no...but let's not overgeneralize.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM

i am not overgeneralizing. i am just being realistic. would you want your kid going to school in HISD? i'm not talking about one of their magnet schools. i'm talking about a typical school in HISD.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM

343 posts, read 827,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i am not overgeneralizing. i am just being realistic. would you want your kid going to school in HISD? i'm not talking about one of their magnet schools. i'm talking about a typical school in HISD.

Hey..hey I am a product of HISD. Fortunately I am one of the ones that made out pretty good from my hood. I also would attribute that to the love and discipline from my parents. You are probably right that I would not want my kids to go were I went too. I just think that kids white, black, hispanic, asian and etc are going to be bad due to their environment and how the parents raise them. I just hope that by the time I move to bender's landing it would a little diverse with strong family values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston