Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM

58 posts, read 186,757 times

Advertisements

Test
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 PM

447 posts, read 1,765,885 times
Have you driven around Fieldstone? There are houses started by Kimball Hill and Royce that will not be finished for a long time. I know there is one with just the wood/stud framing standing. Several others without driveways, etc. True, there are other builders in Fieldstone, but K-H and Royce were the builders on the side where Meritage is building.

Also, Kimball Hill was the developer for this community, which means they were building the amenities. So who knows when the amenities will be built? And what will the HOA fees be?

We are also building a Meritage Home, but decided on Silver Ranch, especially after we drove around Fieldstone. Also, Meritage is only building on the lots they already own in Fieldstone-- it is already a closeout community for them.

For me, I wanted more assurance that the empty houses/half-built houses/empty lots in Fieldstone were going to be completed, and the salesperson did not give me much assurance.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 PM

354 posts, read 2,430,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1956 View Post
Have you driven around Fieldstone? There are houses started by Kimball Hill and Royce that will not be finished for a long time. I know there is one with just the wood/stud framing standing. Several others without driveways, etc. True, there are other builders in Fieldstone, but K-H and Royce were the builders on the side where Meritage is building.

Also, Kimball Hill was the developer for this community, which means they were building the amenities. So who knows when the amenities will be built? And what will the HOA fees be?

We are also building a Meritage Home, but decided on Silver Ranch, especially after we drove around Fieldstone. Also, Meritage is only building on the lots they already own in Fieldstone-- it is already a closeout community for them.

For me, I wanted more assurance that the empty houses/half-built houses/empty lots in Fieldstone were going to be completed, and the salesperson did not give me much assurance.
Yea we actually decided against it after getting the answers to some of our questions....how will the HOA be handled, are there any bids for new developers...etc,etc. They were offering a lot but I just couldn't get past the "unknown". They have 10 lots left and are trying to move them before they pull out. We are negotiating between Westheimer Lakes and Silver Ranch.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,765,885 times
We are happy with the one we are building in Silver Ranch. They are also offering 12K in free upgrades, so that helps. Phase 2 of Silver Ranch will start in April.

Hope you find one you like!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
Yea we actually decided against it after getting the answers to some of our questions....how will the HOA be handled, are there any bids for new developers...etc,etc. They were offering a lot but I just couldn't get past the "unknown". They have 10 lots left and are trying to move them before they pull out. We are negotiating between Westheimer Lakes and Silver Ranch.

We have been wanting to move into the Fieldstone as well, and we're in the same boat as you...too scared of the uncertainties. We visited Silver Ranch and Meritage homes there are about $20k more than at Fieldstone. Have you looked at Aliana? If you are considering Silver Ranch, then I would def suggest Aliana because it's about the same price. Silver ranch property tax (before Homestead )is 3.64% whereas Aliana is 3.1%. It also has more amenities. We're looking to build a meritage home there. Can't wait

Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 PM

58 posts, read 186,757 times
Default Fieldstone or other - Meritage

You could look into WLN/Westheimer Lakes North.
We closed on a new Meritage home there in Dec.
It's a nice community, with great schools (KISD).
A drawback is you are locked into a service contract
with Entouch, for alarm, internet, and cable television.
My wife and I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS! We will
have to start a letter writing campaign to the HOA
to get the contract cancelled.

As I said, the community is nice. The park and pool
are a short walk from our home. And we have access
to the 'Texas Splashpad' across the highway at WL.
The Splashpad is open year round, when the temp is
warm enough. And they have tennis and BB courts
there also. Hope this helps.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:24 PM

454 posts, read 1,585,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly dude View Post
You could look into WLN/Westheimer Lakes North.
We closed on a new Meritage home there in Dec.
It's a nice community, with great schools (KISD).
A drawback is you are locked into a service contract
with Entouch, for alarm, internet, and cable television.
My wife and I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS! We will
have to start a letter writing campaign to the HOA
to get the contract cancelled.

As I said, the community is nice. The park and pool
are a short walk from our home. And we have access
to the 'Texas Splashpad' across the highway at WL.
The Splashpad is open year round, when the temp is
warm enough. And they have tennis and BB courts
there also. Hope this helps.
I work in the telecommunications industry and their is no way out of your contract with entouch, so you might as well just learn to live with that. I know I will be installing Dish at my house for my primary televisions, but will utilize the entouch for my seconday and rarely watched office tv's and such. Hopefully their service is not too terrible for the internet, because I am used to having pretty fast cable internet..so we'll see. Have you ever ran a speedtest on your system? I am curious what the download and upload speeds are running at.

Do you know how to get in touch with the WLN HOA? I want to talk to them regarding my fence line for our build, currently, the HOA has it entirely too close to my house since I am on a corner lot, and I need to convince them to allow me to move it out some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston