U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:24 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
In fact I have seen pictures. I had some family that lived in those areas, and they took pictures of it. They showed them to me, and I was like "I'll never move to Houston." As time passed and a chance to research Houston, I found out that the majority of doesn't look like this area. So far on pictures, that area is the ugliest area in Houston that I've seen.

Will someone answer my question instead trying to worry have I ever been to Houston before? THANKS!
Little York is a long road. Don't make broad generalizations buddy. And like I said, it's not as bad as the first post I quoted from you made it out to be. We aren't talking bombs over baghdad here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM

12,202 posts, read 17,564,997 times
I was speaking on the areas surroungding North Houston.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I was speaking on the areas surroungding North Houston.
Which areas? There are a lot. Many nice areas around North Houston, as well as bad/ugly ones.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM

12,202 posts, read 17,564,997 times
The areas along the Eastex Freeway heading towards Humble.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:25 AM

7 posts, read 10,635 times
Still upsetting to see what happened to Alief. The 1970's was a great decade for Alief. We moved there in 1976 because of the exemplary performance of AISD schools. We used to live in Huntington Village off cook and dairy ashford. We were able to move out in 2007. It was sad to leave from the house I grew in. If I could just pick up the house and move it to another location I would have done it. When you start seeing youth during the day walking the subdivision streets stoned or methed out, all tweeked out the youth is not in school, nor working you start thinking to yourself what's going on here in the community. Back in the early 90's when they pulled also the constable out from our area and hired a rent a cop in the subdivision that is when everything really went down.
Something has to be done about zoning in this city because if you keep permiting the development of cheaply made apartments eventually these units will run down and you will have an influx of low income residents moving in. Who loses the home owners who saved their money and bought houses in the Area. The city does cares about the tax base where they will get a larger tax revenues from an apartment complex proprietor than a home owner. City will continue to allow those building contracts to construct apartments in the Houston Area. It will happen in Katy, Cyfair, everywhere. Its always been like that in this city and always will. That is what happened in Alief. When you start allowing cheap apartment units to be built in an area that is the begining of the end of the community.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:14 AM
bu2

8,967 posts, read 5,662,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomatrix2006 View Post
Still upsetting to see what happened to Alief. The 1970's was a great decade for Alief. We moved there in 1976 because of the exemplary performance of AISD schools. We used to live in Huntington Village off cook and dairy ashford. We were able to move out in 2007. It was sad to leave from the house I grew in. If I could just pick up the house and move it to another location I would have done it. When you start seeing youth during the day walking the subdivision streets stoned or methed out, all tweeked out the youth is not in school, nor working you start thinking to yourself what's going on here in the community. Back in the early 90's when they pulled also the constable out from our area and hired a rent a cop in the subdivision that is when everything really went down.
Something has to be done about zoning in this city because if you keep permiting the development of cheaply made apartments eventually these units will run down and you will have an influx of low income residents moving in. Who loses the home owners who saved their money and bought houses in the Area. The city does cares about the tax base where they will get a larger tax revenues from an apartment complex proprietor than a home owner. City will continue to allow those building contracts to construct apartments in the Houston Area. It will happen in Katy, Cyfair, everywhere. Its always been like that in this city and always will. That is what happened in Alief. When you start allowing cheap apartment units to be built in an area that is the begining of the end of the community.
In 1980 I lived in Westwood and we were in the state representative district with a man from Alief. Think his name was Fox. That was the most Republican district in the state. He won with 93% of the vote. Alief was where many people fleeing HISD went in the 70s. It was middle to upper middle class suburban.

By the late 80s, those apartments in Westwood were some of the worst in the city. It got to the point where it was hard to get anyone to live there. A real estate agent told me she had a condo there and could only get Nigerians to rent it (maybe foreigners didn't know any better). It really changed very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston