U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Years ago when I first came to Houston, Sharpstown was considered a desirable location in town, Alief was up and coming. Fast forward 25+ years later and I would not want to be caught in either area at night, maybe not even during the day.

I met a friend for lunch in the Meyerland Shopping Center last week, and since I did not have to return to the office, I went ahead and traveled down Braes Bayou to the Southwest side, and wow, it is nothing like I remember it. It has been over two decades since I had any reason to be in the area, so I was shocked at what I saw.

What was interesting to me is that I used to live with a relative for a short while off of Cook Road, and those apartments were decent 25+ years ago, and I thought the people in the surrounding neighborhoods were doing 'well'. But driving down Cook Road, I was stunned. I never thought I would say this as an adult, but I was actually saddened when I drove down that road. Perhaps it was just the good times I had in my youth, or the open spaces which were once there to what it has become.

So, I'm always looking for investment opportunities, and I have to admit, there are some properties that "look" okay, but just seeing the people in the area, I'm worried about problems with tenants.

So, looking into your crystal ball, do you think that Sharpstown will ever turnaround, or how about Alief? If so, what would cause it to happen, and when?
Alief is actually nice. It really depends on what side you're on. If you're west of Highway 6, the single family homes are definitely nice. And even if they don't look that great on the outside, the inside of them are great. Usually people living here have lived in their home for many, many years, so invest a lot in them.

And about Sharpstown coming back, median home prices have actually risen in Sharpstown over the past eight years. The only thing hurting both Alief and Sharpstown (especially Sharpstown) are the apartment complexes. The single-family homes are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,674,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Sharpstown will come back. Absolutely. Real estate is all about location, location, location. Sharpstown is close to the Galleria, TMC and downtown.
That is why I have more confidence in an eventual turn around there before it would happen in Alief. (When I say Alief, I guess I am talking the core of Alief). Alief may be closer to nicer areas like Sugarland, but people seeking the type of environment Sugarland offers, but can't find what they are looking for are not going to go to Alief as an alternative, they will go further out. That is what people who like suburban environments do.

Sharpstown faces the challenges of the apartment complexes, many of which are probably in violation of all sorts of building and safety codes. Cleaning up that would certainly help a lot. For now the other challenge is the kind of people looking to live close in, and willing to put up with the scars of transitional neighborhoods, can take a Sharpstown budget and still buy in parts of Oak Forest, Westbury, or even be inside the loop in the east end. Sharpstown needs that urban pioneering demographic, and at some point could attract it, (far easier than Alief), it will only get it though, when they are priced out of these other areas. Then it will be Sharpstown's turn....maybe.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:32 PM

8,156 posts, read 26,420,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Alief is actually nice. It really depends on what side you're on. If you're west of Highway 6, the single family homes are definitely nice. And even if they don't look that great on the outside, the inside of them are great. Usually people living here have lived in their home for many, many years, so invest a lot in them.

I didn't think Alief extended that far west. West of 6 is Mission Bend, Mission Glen, Providence, Waterford, etc. They are zoned to FBISD schools.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM

200 posts, read 949,046 times
personally I think the new "community center" will be beltway8 and bellaire upto beachnut and westchase and the residential sections will be around it which will be most of alief. the park8 project kicked off but stalled for some reason, in anycase there are investors and deals in the works
Sharpstown I think is geared toward hi-rise apartment living, something that gives the tenant an extra level of security because of harwin and other crappy sights out there. the bus station, lightrail plans will help in selling the idea

Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I didn't think Alief extended that far west. West of 6 is Mission Bend, Mission Glen, Providence, Waterford, etc. They are zoned to FBISD schools.
No, its Alief schools and Alief in general. Albright Middle School is right there on the Westpark Tollway, west of Highway 6.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 AM

9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
No, its Alief schools and Alief in general. Albright Middle School is right there on the Westpark Tollway, west of Highway 6.
It's not Alief. It's Mission Bend. It is Alief ISD, however. Alief barely extends as far west as Eldridge in parts. It also has a very small area that attends Fort Bend ISD. But it doesn't even come close to Highway 6.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 AM

Well, the people I know there refer to themselves as living in Alief. I know I did.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,635 times
Nah Southwest sucks. Only chance maybe is the area Off the Beltway Chinatown but they have to demolish those apartments of Ranchester and the other apartments that border Gessner and Bellaire really scuzzy.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 AM

221 posts, read 526,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomatrix2006 View Post
Nah Southwest sucks. Only chance maybe is the area Off the Beltway Chinatown but they have to demolish those apartments of Ranchester and the other apartments that border Gessner and Bellaire really scuzzy.
home values in sharpstown have risen quite dramatically over the past decade, they're fast approaching into westbury territory and location wise it is very much superior due to its closer proximity to downtown, lots of restaurants, and high end bellaire

my sharpstown house thats worth 130k is literally a few blocks down to houses that are in the millions

Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,597,576 times
Alief and Sharpstown both have an upside and a downside. For Alief, it has its own school district (local control) but it is not a master planned community. Sharpstown is close to the freeway but it is in HISD (negative stigma).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston