U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,646,072 times
Alief traffic slows down Katy'ers and Sharpstown slows down Sugar landers. Haters probably comes from these respective locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,068,882 times
Both Sharpstown and Alief suffer from similar situations - a highly transient population. This is a product of the propliferation of poorly constructed apartment complexes and a large number of "starter" homes that become rentals when the first wave of owners move out. Once the transient population begins to overwhelm the schools and scores decline then areas no longer have highly-rated schools to attract the more stable populations and you have Sharpstown and Alief. Then you see the better retailers move out like they have in the Sharpstown and West Oaks Malls and if any new ones move in it will likely be ones that cater to the lower incomed population. The two must-haves for an area to survive and even thrive are a stable population and decent schools. I am hard-pressed to see how those two conditions can change in Alief or Sharpstown.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,068,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I didn't think Alief extended that far west. West of 6 is Mission Bend, Mission Glen, Providence, Waterford, etc. They are zoned to FBISD schools.
You are only partly correct. All the years I lived in Mission Bend my daughter attended Alief Schools because the border that divides Ft. Bend from Harris Counties meanders all over the place. I now live in a tiny subdivision off Westheimer that has pieces of both counties and thus students in both districts.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,747,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
With the real estate slide, that could last 10 years like the last time, NO I don't think Sharpstown has a chance.

If all the bad apartments burned down, and swanky boutiques moved in, and gangs no longer existed.. maybe......but it will always have a stigma now.

I think ALief has a better chance due to location to Westchase/Memorial and Energy Corridor. But, like I said with the economy going the way it is.
Alief is unique, yes, the way it is sandwiched between Sugar Land and the Energy Corridor. I have to drive through the edge of it to get to my office near Westchase / EC. People from south Katy and the northern parts of Sugar Land drive through it (via the Westpark) to get to the Galleria area. And I don't care what people say about West Oaks, as long as Alamo Drafthouse is there I'll keep going to get my fix!
I don't know how this location next to much higher income demographics will affect it, but right now there's enough crime, poor schools and transient population there that it will take quite an effort to turn around Alief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
If you don't have good schools, you won't appeal to the suburban crowd. If you don't have a short commute, then you won't appeal to the "in-town" crowd.
True. But actually, both of these (especially Sharpstown) are located quite well for commuting. Sharpstown would be an easy commute to the Medical Center, Galleria, even downtown via Hwy 59, and Alief is very close to the Energy Corridor and Westchase. But as long as all of the crummy apartments and cheap housing is still around, there's not much hope. The addition of Royal Oaks was a small boost for Alief, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Both Sharpstown and Alief suffer from similar situations - a highly transient population. This is a product of the propliferation of poorly constructed apartment complexes and a large number of "starter" homes that become rentals when the first wave of owners move out. Once the transient population begins to overwhelm the schools and scores decline then areas no longer have highly-rated schools to attract the more stable populations and you have Sharpstown and Alief. Then you see the better retailers move out like they have in the Sharpstown and West Oaks Malls and if any new ones move in it will likely be ones that cater to the lower incomed population. The two must-haves for an area to survive and even thrive are a stable population and decent schools. I am hard-pressed to see how those two conditions can change in Alief or Sharpstown.
I think the only way the situations would change would be if the land value goes up high enough that the crummy apartment owners start selling off the properties for better use of the land, and better new development comes in. With some of these predictions of Houston's population growth, I guess this is possible after many, many years, but it depends on who all of the predicted population growth is specifically made of (will it be upward college grads, or will it be poverty families?)

I hope both of these areas eventually turn around. They are both located well. Certainly better located to Houston's employment centers than places out way past Fulshear, Tomball, Needville etc.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 AM

3,030 posts, read 5,590,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Both Sharpstown and Alief suffer from similar situations - a highly transient population.
So does Cinco Ranch with all the corporate transferees who will move to the next job location (most likely overseas) in 2-3 years.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,426,297 times
Believe it or not guys, not every single neighborhood can be rich and white.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 PM

8,892 posts, read 15,013,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Believe it or not guys, not every single neighborhood can be rich and white.

I think I just heard that the 2010 census stated that "non-hispanic whites" were no longer the majority in Texas. Huge shocker not. But yes, the burbs will become more and more "diverse," aka less white.

But maybe we'll qualifiy for scholarships now that we're a minority. Nahhhhh...we have decades of restitution still ahead of us.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM

56 posts, read 87,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
But maybe we'll qualifiy for scholarships now that we're a minority. Nahhhhh...we have decades of restitution still ahead of us.
We're probably a plurality, rather than a minority.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:10 PM

608 posts, read 617,654 times
This Sharpstown discussion is a big surprise because what I've seeing on Google street view looks great (the leafy, well maintained neighborhoods). Is it mainly the apartment complexes that are the problem? We have the same issue in Austin.

As for whether Sharpstown will "come back", look at areas like Washington Avenue that were very bad news and are coming back nicely because of the great location.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 PM

2,745 posts, read 4,192,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface713 View Post
alief is actually nice. It really depends on what side you're on. If you're west of highway 6, the single family homes are definitely nice. And even if they don't look that great on the outside, the inside of them are great. Usually people living here have lived in their home for many, many years, so invest a lot in them.
LOL, thanks for the humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston