Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times

Advertisements

Years ago when I first came to Houston, Sharpstown was considered a desirable location in town, Alief was up and coming. Fast forward 25+ years later and I would not want to be caught in either area at night, maybe not even during the day.

I met a friend for lunch in the Meyerland Shopping Center last week, and since I did not have to return to the office, I went ahead and traveled down Braes Bayou to the Southwest side, and wow, it is nothing like I remember it. It has been over two decades since I had any reason to be in the area, so I was shocked at what I saw.

What was interesting to me is that I used to live with a relative for a short while off of Cook Road, and those apartments were decent 25+ years ago, and I thought the people in the surrounding neighborhoods were doing 'well'. But driving down Cook Road, I was stunned. I never thought I would say this as an adult, but I was actually saddened when I drove down that road. Perhaps it was just the good times I had in my youth, or the open spaces which were once there to what it has become.

So, I'm always looking for investment opportunities, and I have to admit, there are some properties that "look" okay, but just seeing the people in the area, I'm worried about problems with tenants.

So, looking into your crystal ball, do you think that Sharpstown will ever turnaround, or how about Alief? If so, what would cause it to happen, and when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
With the real estate slide, that could last 10 years like the last time, NO I don't think Sharpstown has a chance.

If all the bad apartments burned down, and swanky boutiques moved in, and gangs no longer existed.. maybe......but it will always have a stigma now.

I think ALief has a better chance due to location to Westchase/Memorial and Energy Corridor. But, like I said with the economy going the way it is.

I think Spring Shadows would be a better choice.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 AM

200 posts, read 1,067,076 times
what did you see in cook rd? apartments? why focus on one block of apartments? wasn't this road recently paved?

I do not think these areas are good for investment for huge profits but how low can one (place) reputation go?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
I would think Sharpstown would have a better chance than Alief, but I wouldn't give either one much right now.

If you don't have good schools, you won't appeal to the suburban crowd. If you don't have a short commute, then you won't appeal to the "in-town" crowd.

Geographically Sharpstown is not very far out really, certainly close to the Galleria area. It also offers some interesting mid-century modern houses. The downsides are all well known. At some point that could result in gentrification. Alief, to me, is just so far out there. The schools no longer have a reputation as being desirable, and there is nothing out there architecturally worth restoring or trying to turn around. What would be the draw? What would be the "spark" of revival in Alief? Sharpstown's closer in location and fairly decent concentration of mid-century modern architecture could spark a revival at some point, but Sharpstown would have to wait its turn. That turn is not now.

For those kind of prices the areas that have been on the upswing in SW Houston are more Westbury and Robindell, or Oak Forest & Shepherd Forest northwest, as well as some reviving sections of Spring Branch. Lindale Park northeast, or any number of east end areas like Eastwood, Broadmoor, Lawndale, Houston Country Club, Garden Villas and Glenbrook Valley.

These are the areas that have been turning around, and hopefully will continue to do so. I think it will take people being priced out of a number of these areas before they turn to Sharpstown in any great number.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
what did you see in cook rd? apartments? why focus on one block of apartments? wasn't this road recently paved?

I do not think these areas are good for investment for huge profits but how low can one (place) reputation go?
I saw everything on Cook Road. In fact, I only referenced that I stayed with a relative for six months, I was referring to the subdivisions, shanty businesses, townhouses and apartments.

EasilyAmused has a good point about Alief, it is bordered by better areas. Unfortunately, Sharpstown is bordered by just more bad neighborhoods.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
I vote for "doomed like Alief." But seriously, I don't know about Sharpstown always having a stigma. The Heights used to have a stigma and look at it now. If the city would enforce ordinances and clean up all the apartment complexes, and the visual blight from all the signage along 59 that screams, "CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!" it would stand a chance. Some of the residential areas I'm familiar with seem nice enough, and it's very close to Uptown and Bellaire, so a comeback could work.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
the white people are moving out......so that is a no.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times
Where you see nice new apartment complexes now.....25years lfrom now look at Sharpstown and that is what you will have. They have built massive complexes next to SCR,Grand Mission,Lakemont all along Westheimer out to Hwy 6...the list goes on and on. Look at Broadway near Hobby. That was a nice area when I was a kid. Harlold Farb put in all those massive complexes and now it is trashy.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
the white people are moving out......so that is a no.
If that's the case it's only a matter of time before (the guilt sets in and) they move back to clean up the ghetto. As they say, history repeats itself. See: inner loop.

Though I agree with the OP on his feelings about the area. I used to spend a decent amount of time at the 3-story Westwood Mall.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Sharpstown will come back. Absolutely. Real estate is all about location, location, location. Sharpstown is close to the Galleria, TMC and downtown. Also, it's not too far from Fort Bend county. Keep in mind, Fort Bend county is still experiencing tremedous growth. Sharpstown also has a lot of desirable housing. The apartments are a mess and the mall is not the greatest for sure. So what? I think you can easily argue a lot of inner loop neighborhoods have recovered from as bad or worse. As for Alief, it's out a ways. Its location is its biggest liability. Alief ISD doesn't help either. Sharpstown is near some of best private and charters in the city. This is something that is often overlooked. It may take time, but I am certain someone will get rich investing in Sharpstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston