Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times

Advertisements

Barbecue won't be the only competition at RodeoHouston. There'll be another competition for the connoisseurs amongst you.

Here's a link. Check this out. Houston Livestock Show And Rodeoâ„¢ - Vintners Corral (http://www.rodeohouston.com/ag/ws/ws_index.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
^^I love the BBQ competition. That's another good thing about the Rodeo. There is always great food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Maybe I am from the old school but the old school works for a reason. It has stood the test of time. The promoters say they want to go after the younger group to ensure success. Hmmmm.....every year has been a success by using country artists. Now they are adding fruit cakes like Jones and even crap rap? Rap would keep away a very very large amount of people.

And what the hell is a tejano performer? Sounds Mexican to me. They have their Mexican day, let us have our Cowboy day. Rap will only bring on thugs wearing pants the size of a tent which they can conceal 13 semi automatic weapons inside with their T-shirts the length of a wedding dress.

This whole thing reminds me of something. I just this week asked my brother if he was going to the NY Sportsman show. It is the largest show soley for fisherman, hunters and so on in the world. He told me for the first time since he was a little kid he ain't going. He said they have more and more booths selling things having nothing to do with fishing and hunting. CD booths, work cloths booths, junk jewlery booths, construction sales booths and so on. He said last year it looked more like a fle market.

And guess what? Attendance is down this year. Sounds like the same thing is going to happen to our Rodeo. I was planning on staying at the Lakeside RV park again a mile or so from Reliant for a week and go every day to the rodeo. We changed our mind after seeing this lineup. We will go one day to see Reba and thats it.

Dont get me wrong, there are some good performers in that lineup, I just dont like where the the future of this is going adding non country music. I see Rodeos as a country thing and I want to see country music. If I want to hear rap I will go to the getto.
Wow. You need to branch out a bit. They're not having rap this year, but you're extremely close minded. What a bad post. And there should be a obvious answer to you as to why attendance will probably be down this year.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Okay, guys, the rodeo is not just about concerts. They have other things, too. If you plan to go at different times, what exhibits are you folks planning on checking out?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
I'd go to the rodeo if they added a punk band.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Okay, guys, the rodeo is not just about concerts. They have other things, too. If you plan to go at different times, what exhibits are you folks planning on checking out?
The food exhibit .

My artwork made it into the Rodeo back in 2004. We had a contest at school. I drew a boot with cactus in the background. It was nice and I was in the 7th grade.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 PM

103 posts, read 438,034 times
And what the hell is a tejano performer? Sounds Mexican to me. They have their Mexican day, let us have our Cowboy day.
Desertsun41-
Just want to let you know that Tejano (Texan) is different from a present day Mexican. Many Tejanos have been here for generations and this type of music is truly unique to our region. You will not find Spanish Tejano music outside of Texas. True Tejano music is like Spanish country and most that enjoy this type of music like western wear as well. Just because it is in Spanish does not make it right to exclude it. There's a lot of history behind it that you would not even be interested in hearing, as obvious from your post.

And please try not to judge others for not being like you.
Enjoy your days at the rodeo. Hope, for your sake, there is no diversity at all, so you can have a splendid time.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 PM

343 posts, read 942,455 times
Well I kinda have an issue with Ramon Ayala at the rodeo. I know he is considered a legend and what not but it is not tejano music. Oh well I guess I shouldnt be complaining since I will be stuck taking my fiance and sisters to go see the Jonas brothers. Someone shoot me now.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM

103 posts, read 438,034 times
ssgmun5000- Funny you bring this up. In this same manner that desertsun41 feels that anything non-country takes away form the rodeo...is how many Tejanos feel about the performers in the Go Tejano lineup. I guess for many years they've been going with these Mexican norteno types, which are not related to true Tejano music. This will surely cause Tejano music to die out. Tejano was very popular in the Hispanic (of Mexican descent) community when I grew up here in the 80's and 90's. And when I left TX after high school, to my first duty station in San Diego, CA I searched and searched for Tejano music on the dial. I was surprised to find out there was no such music to be heard there (How could that be? Texas was the center of the universe!). There were a few Tejanos out there that banded together to try and get enough people together to have a Tejano performer out there once in a while. Now that I'm back in Texas, I think I attempted to listen to Tejano once more, but there's nothing new that catches my attention. Anyway....back to the rodeo....
P.S. I enjoy the Jonas brothers, thanks to my daughter!

Last edited by ChangeIsGood; 01-12-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Huh?

What? No Regatton?!

Old 01-12-2009, 09:47 PM

134 posts, read 326,249 times
Nobody I am interested in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston