Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:15 PM

343 posts, read 938,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeIsGood View Post
ssgmun5000- Funny you bring this up. In this same manner that desertsun41 feels that anything non-country takes away form the rodeo...is how many Tejanos feel about the performers in the Go Tejano lineup. I guess for many years they've been going with these Mexican norteno types, which are not related to true Tejano music. This will surely cause Tejano music to die out. Tejano was very popular in the Hispanic (of Mexican descent) community when I grew up here in the 80's and 90's. And when I left TX after high school, to my first duty station in San Diego, CA I searched and searched for Tejano music on the dial. I was surprised to find out there was no such music to be heard there (How could that be? Texas was the center of the universe!). There were a few Tejanos out there that banded together to try and get enough people together to have a Tejano performer out there once in a while. Now that I'm back in Texas, I think I attempted to listen to Tejano once more, but there's nothing new that catches my attention. Anyway....back to the rodeo....
P.S. I enjoy the Jonas brothers, thanks to my daughter!
Yup remember the heyday of tejano music during the late 80's to mid 90's. I believe Houston during that time had 2 tejano stations. I think the music from that time still stands up as I listen to it from time to time. I was looking up last year's line up and Duelo played which they are not even tejano. No that I have anything against these artist as I also like there music its just would be nice to have a tejano artist for go tejano day. Oh and it must have sucked to be stationed in a place where tejano was not even heard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 PM

571 posts, read 1,925,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
For one, Houston isn't majority Hispanic. Second, there is Go Tejano night.
Um.. yes it is. Just because you live in Cinco or the Woodlands doesn't mean the rest of Houston is like that.

Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Persons of Hispanic origin—who may be of any race—accounted for 37 percent of the population while non-Hispanic whites made up 30.8 percent."

And that is the one night I was speaking of.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Well thanks for clearing that up without jumping down my throat. Honestly I never heard of it but from your description it dont sound like anything the vast majority of non hispanic would listen to. Is it like half country and half Mexican music? Sorta like TexMex is to food?

Sorry but I still see the country flair feel and atmosphere fading and I feel in the future the whole rodeo thing will not be what it is suppose to be.

Only time will tell............

I do love the livestock show and always will.
Actually for a city that has become as diverse as Houston is (and I don't just mean race - I mean not all Caucasians listen to country after all) I think it's amazing that the rodeo is still able to stick to mostly country artists.

And "Tejano" and specifically the artist Ramon Ayala is very "country" .. I wouldn't really call him Tejano because he is famous all over Mexico but Mexico has many many ranches and little villages and they do all the same things country people love to do here - hunting, bull fighting, rodeos, cowboy hats and boots! I know you've gotten a bad perception of Mexicans because of all the immigrants but vast parts of Mexico are very beautiful, peaceful, and quaint. You'd be surprised how little difference there is between the "ranchos" of Mexico and the little down home country ranches and farms in Texas.. When I visited my husband's home town in the Mexican state of Michoacan I fell in love with it. His uncle is a doctor who still goes and does house calls down on the farm.. sometimes you'll see a horse and a cowboy riding down the street .. and lumber is still a major industry with workers going up and chopping down the trees and hand-building furniture.. children walk down to the corner store to buy bread or meat and its a very peaceful small town place where everyone has their own business - a hardware store, a grocery market, or a little restaurant.. Most of Mexico is like this except for a few big cities. I bet you the majority of the hispanic people you see are around Houston are from little villages and ranches like these.. Much more like you than you would ever probably realize or care to admit.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,574,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Um.. yes it is. Just because you live in Cinco or the Woodlands doesn't mean the rest of Houston is like that.

Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Persons of Hispanic origin—who may be of any race—accounted for 37 percent of the population while non-Hispanic whites made up 30.8 percent."

And that is the one night I was speaking of.

That's a plurality, not majority.

I don't think it's surprising at all the rodeo has been able to stick with mainly country singers. This is Texas, after all.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,323,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I don't think it's surprising at all the rodeo has been able to stick with mainly country singers. This is Texas, after all.
Exactly! Sometimes Tasksgirl, you say things and I'm like, yes I totally get that--then other times I swear, I'm just scratching my head goin' "...what?"

Old 01-13-2009, 02:39 PM

LOL.. well I was just going off the fact that I never knew many people who liked country music while I lived in Houston.. my family members, my friends parent's, my classmates etc. (and I am white btw :P) most people I knew liked just general pop or rock music.. and of course Houston has a huge rap following..

Maybe I've been out of Texas too long.. LOL.. but I see that they've just barely started to get artists like the Jonas Brothers who are popular but not country.. those artists are going to sell more tickets than artists like ZZ Top - yes they have a following esp. in Texas and the music is great but sometimes those acts just don't sell tickets the same way as these "teeny bop sensations".. People buy Miley Cyrus/Jonus Brothers/etc. tickets on Ebay for thousands of dollars..... I don't get it ? but ..

Old 01-13-2009, 03:07 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,323,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
LOL.. well I was just going off the fact that I never knew many people who liked country music while I lived in Houston.. my family members, my friends parent's, my classmates etc. (and I am white btw :P) most people I knew liked just general pop or rock music.. and of course Houston has a huge rap following..

Maybe I've been out of Texas too long.. LOL.. but I see that they've just barely started to get artists like the Jonas Brothers who are popular but not country.. those artists are going to sell more tickets than artists like ZZ Top - yes they have a following esp. in Texas and the music is great but sometimes those acts just don't sell tickets the same way as these "teeny bop sensations".. People buy Miley Cyrus/Jonus Brothers/etc. tickets on Ebay for thousands of dollars..... I don't get it ? but ..
It's pretty strategic though, the Entertainment Committee knows they'll make the most money from the Uber-Concocted Disney Band of the Moment. However, the country and local artists do set their own records--just check out the numbers. They're nothing to sneeze at. I've not been a fan of it, but if it's just one or two nights it doesn't bother me much, it's when they can't seem to pull in the great country entertainers that I start wondering what's going through their heads. But, then, 0

++

(sorry, my 3-yr old daughter decided to add her two cents there)

maybe I am just out of touch these days. I do miss the great days of the rodeo with The Judds, George, Hank Jr, Alabama, Randy Travis, Reba, etc... *sigh* Every night was just a really great country artist with the exception of a few.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:35 PM

299 posts, read 1,012,739 times
I'm just hoping Rucker breaks out a surprise Hootie reunion.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
It's pretty strategic though, the Entertainment Committee knows they'll make the most money from the Uber-Concocted Disney Band of the Moment. However, the country and local artists do set their own records--just check out the numbers. They're nothing to sneeze at. I've not been a fan of it, but if it's just one or two nights it doesn't bother me much, it's when they can't seem to pull in the great country entertainers that I start wondering what's going through their heads. But, then, 0

++

(sorry, my 3-yr old daughter decided to add her two cents there)

maybe I am just out of touch these days. I do miss the great days of the rodeo with The Judds, George, Hank Jr, Alabama, Randy Travis, Reba, etc... *sigh* Every night was just a really great country artist with the exception of a few.
Just wait a few years your daughter will be constantly letting you know whats "cool"

Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM

52,577 posts, read 47,716,551 times
Default Rats!

I have not yet perfected my chili recipe, so I won't be able to be in the chili cookoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston