Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
If I was wrong I would not have said it. Rap and hippity hoppity does not belong in a country event. PEROID !!!

But yes, there is indeed always great food.
Well you should have complained years ago, and honestly, it does not matter. I see nothing wrong with hip hop at the Rodeo, or a little R&B. Remember that part of the Rodeo is about $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Um.. yes it is. Just because you live in Cinco or the Woodlands doesn't mean the rest of Houston is like that.

Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Persons of Hispanic origin—who may be of any race—accounted for 37 percent of the population while non-Hispanic whites made up 30.8 percent."

And that is the one night I was speaking of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That's a plurality, not majority.

I don't think it's surprising at all the rodeo has been able to stick with mainly country singers. This is Texas, after all.
Yep. By the way Tasksgirl, I don't live in any of those places.

I do agree with you that on the country thing. I didn't know many people who listened to country in Houston and with our diverse population and people moving here from outside Texas, having other artists (besides country) shouldn't hurt the Rodeo. I believe the highest attendances for the Rodeo has been from non-country performers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
I believe the highest attendances for the Rodeo has been from non-country performers.

Well, not entirely. Country acts like George Strait, Brooks & Dunn, and Rascal Flatts have set attendance records as well. In fact, in 2006, Brooks & Dunn had more attendees than record breakers of the past Beyonce, Hilary Duff, or Selena. Only Hannah Montana broke that record. I am betting The Jonas Brothers wil set another!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,889,370 times
I think the line-up looks pretty good for the Rodeo. It's great that the hometown boys ZZ Top are in there again.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 PM

I mean, it doesn't look that bad, but I'm disappointed in Black Heritage Day and maybe they could have added another popular artist in there somewhere.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Though the interviewer came off as an ass, Solange didn't do so hot herself. She needs to take tips for big sister:
YouTube - Fox 5 News Puts Solange Knowles In her Place (I Guess)

Old 01-15-2009, 10:03 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,320,680 times
Practically a who's who of who they F* are they?

I will not be purchasing any concert tickets this year.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,638,709 times
The thing I see wrong with hip-hop and R&B at the rodeo is that it's so out of place. It's an urban phenomenon. The rodeo, to me, is a celebration of rural life and country livin'. It reminds us Texans of our agricultural roots. If they want to draw a black crowd, they are really missing the boat by not showcasing zydeco bands. They put on great, family-friendly shows with huge followings in this region, since we have a lot of Creole and Cajun folks here, and often they even dress the part! And Clifton Chenier, the King of Zydeco, lived here! However, if they are going to have rap and R&B, they should feature a singer or band from the Greater Houston area, SE Texas, or Texas at least. I guess Solange fits that bill, but why Gladys Knight??

Last edited by houstoner; 02-14-2009 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: adding the "however"

Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,056,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Though the interviewer came off as an ass, Solange didn't do so hot herself. She needs to take tips for big sister:
YouTube - Fox 5 News Puts Solange Knowles In her Place (I Guess)
What has happened to news??? LOL, that dude is lame. I can't blame her because if you heard what she heard, anyone probably would've spoke out.

Anyways, the line up sucks. I'm tired of hearing about the jonas brothers.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,330,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
Oh well I guess I shouldnt be complaining since I will be stuck taking my fiance and sisters to go see the Jonas brothers. Someone shoot me now.
That made me laugh. After seeing these strutting twits on the Grammys trying to hold their own with Stevie Wonder, I remain clueless as to their appeal. But then, I do acknowledge that I am hardly their demographic target ... they'll have their 15 minutes, like Hanson I guess.

Anyway, as a new Texan who has never been to the Houston show...how does it work with these concerts? They are at night, I guess, and that day's artist is the main draw? Does a rodeo ticket get you automatic entree to the concert? I'm not saying I'll be moseying on down ...just curious. I've been to one rodeo in my life -- in Reno, Nevada -- and mainly enjoyed the "mutton bustin'" with five-year-olds riding big sheep for 5 or 6 seconds! I guess I'm still too much of a bleeding heart liberal who worries about the legs of the poor horsies racing around barrels and the headache of the calves that get roped to the ground...not to mention the cowboys flirting with quadriplegia on those broncos...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston