Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times

Advertisements

I gather it will take an hour to drive from Bellville to, say, the Galleria in Houston?
Does Bellville get hurricane damage?
Does Bellville flood?
What is the median cost of a house there?
What is the median cost of a condo there? Or are there any condo complexes there?
What is the closest community college there?
Any negatives on Bellville you want to pass on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Actually its more like an hour and a half on a Saturday Morning. Its not some place you want to commute from. Its mainly a weekend farm location on Houston locals.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,396 times
It takes exactly 40 minutes to get to barker cypress. but as of now, there is construction on I-10 past hwy 6. So I couldn't give you an estimate how long it takes.

Blinn College Is in Brenham, a short drive from bellville.
No hurricane, no flood. no condos.
the school district isn't that great, but for a small school community, its par.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 AM

212 posts, read 1,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hf2272 View Post
It takes exactly 40 minutes to get to barker cypress. but as of now, there is construction on I-10 past hwy 6. So I couldn't give you an estimate how long it takes.

Blinn College Is in Brenham, a short drive from bellville.
No hurricane, no flood. no condos.
the school district isn't that great, but for a small school community, its par.
I beg to differ, in reference to the school district. Both Bellville and Brenham ISD are probably the best found west of Katy and Cy-Fair. It is hard to judge small districts to large ones...one high school in Cy-Fair ISD has more students then the entire Bellville school district.

I would have no problem with choosing Bellville ISD (I have 6 cousins currently in the district, they are all nice, well-adjusted and involved).

Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 PM

71 posts, read 305,922 times
I live in Bellville and when Ike hit we did get damage. Not a lot b/c it turned at the last minute but we had lots of trees down and it got pretty windy. I have lived here all my life it's a nice town. I personaly think the schools are good. We do have low areas that can flood but only if it rains a lot. Condos no but we do have some nice apartments. Anything else, just ask:-)

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I gather it will take an hour to drive from Bellville to, say, the Galleria in Houston?
Does Bellville flood?
What is the median cost of a condo there? Or are there any condo complexes there?
You can get to the Galleria in about an hour if you don't mind toll roads. Easiest way would be to take I-10 then go south on Grand Parkway where there is a ramp to the Westpark Tollway. The Westpark has an exit ramp directly to the Galleria area.

Condos....em...that may be a ways off! Housing is not as inexpensive as you would think. People who live here absolutely love it. Retail is very limited - one grocery store and a couple of dollar stores. Some cute specialty shops on the square. You have to drive to Brenham or Sealy to go to the Wal-Mart but the drive timewise (15-20 minutes) is not much different than some Houston folks!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Actually its more like an hour and a half on a Saturday Morning. Its not some place you want to commute from. Its mainly a weekend farm location on Houston locals.
I live in town and work in town - so personally I would agree with you - but there are folks who do the commute every day - some drive to the Kingsland Park & Ride in Katy.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Does Bellville flood?
Bellville is a great community for Houston hobby ranchers. The area is really taking off and land is getting really expensive. Bona fide agriculture is starting to cash out 160 acre plots and use the proceeds to move 100 miles down the road and buy 400+ acres. I'm not sure that Bellville is within "bedroom community" range for most people in Houston, especially considering how much affordable housing is available much closer in. It just depends on what you are willing to tolerate in terms of commute. Depending on where you live in Bellville, expect about a 2-2.5 hour morning commute to the Galleria coming down 290. You could also go up I-10 if you locate on the south side of Bellville, but I think it would be a wash either way.

Bellville is certainly within hurricane "throwing distance" from the coast, but Ike is a poor go-by because Pennsylvania experienced hurricane damage from Ike. I don't know much about flooding there, but Bellville is high ground relative to Houston (almost hillcountry).

I think that the median home value in Bellville is around $124K, but medians don't really tell you much since it includes the unspeakables. Here are some listings from Yahoo Real Estate to give you a better idea. Bellville Homes for Sale, Bellville Houses - Yahoo! Real Estate

As far as condos are concerned, Bellville is still very much in an agricultural area. There is about zero in the way of urban development. This is a country town, not a suburb.

As another poster mentioned, Blinn is located there.

I love Bellville. I will probably retire to a place like that (if there are any left by then).

Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
As another poster mentioned, Blinn is located there.
Just to clarify - Blinn is the closest 2-year college - it is in Brenham about 20 miles away.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Just to clarify - Blinn is the closest 2-year college - it is in Brenham about 20 miles away.
True enough, but in the Bellville/Brenham area it takes 15 minutes to drive 20 miles. I call that "there".

Blinn probably feels closer to the Bellville town square (or circle, as long as we're being specific) than my house feels from the office (8 miles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston