U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:39 PM

8,156 posts, read 26,425,344 times

Advertisements

I personally think Bay Oaks, Bay Forest and then Pine Brook through Brookwood is the nicest part of the "Bay Area," as far as homes go anyway. But thats just me. And it's far enough from the water to stay semi-comfortable come tropical season. No prob with Ike. South shore is definitely nice, though, and a tad bit less per sq ft than Clear Lake. We looked at it some, but being in League City simply killed it for me. The Tuscan Lakes commercials that popped up on the AM radio also appealed to the exurban snob demographic, which was funny actually... the dude with the fake Euro accent.

I can easily say that area is a good 7-10, sometimes 12 miles closer to downtown than my part of Clear Lake. I stay near Ellington/Clear Lake City Blvd, and if we have business to attend in League City, we budget 20-25 minutes (non rush hour) to get to League City. Also takes 20-25 minutes for us to get to downtown (non rush hour again).

So I'll give you it's not boonies as in Santa Fe boonies, but it is out there. If Clear Lake-Houston is a suburb, League City is an exurb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 PM

488 posts, read 1,259,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I personally think Bay Oaks, Bay Forest and then Pine Brook through Brookwood is the nicest part of the "Bay Area," as far as homes go anyway. But thats just me. And it's far enough from the water to stay semi-comfortable come tropical season. No prob with Ike. South shore is definitely nice, though, and a tad bit less per sq ft than Clear Lake. We looked at it some, but being in League City simply killed it for me. The Tuscan Lakes commercials that popped up on the AM radio also appealed to the exurban snob demographic, which was funny actually... the dude with the fake Euro accent.

I can easily say that area is a good 7-10, sometimes 12 miles closer to downtown than my part of Clear Lake. I stay near Ellington/Clear Lake City Blvd, and if we have business to attend in League City, we budget 20-25 minutes (non rush hour) to get to League City. Also takes 20-25 minutes for us to get to downtown (non rush hour again).

So I'll give you it's not boonies as in Santa Fe boonies, but it is out there. If Clear Lake-Houston is a suburb, League City is an exurb.
Doesn't it go Bay Area BLVD, Nasa, Main St (518), and then Brittany Bay BLVD with the latter 2 being main exits for League City...? That does not seem like a huge difference in regards to League City being far out. It is just an exit or 2 away. Am I looking at the map wrong?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:29 PM

After doing research on HAR it seems that you can get a bigger and newer home (near 45) in League City for cheaper than Clear Lake....so....is there really that big of a difference in 1 or 2 exits?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm between exit 29 and 30, League city is exits 20-23. That whole strip of 45 is under massive construction. And then I'm a 5 minute shot from the freeway. To South Shore takes 10 minutes on a light day, 15-20 in traffic. If you need to get on Hwy 96, the traffic light after the exit is just terrible. The new shopping there makes it even worse.

There's a very big difference in commute between northern Clear lake and League City. That's why house prices are what they are. They run near $100/sq ft in my hood and have been rising faster than the vast majority of the Bay Area. A 2200 sq ft fetches around $210k nowadays, 1600 sq ft around $170k.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I'm between exit 29 and 30, League city is exits 20-23. That whole strip of 45 is under massive construction. And then I'm a 5 minute shot from the freeway. To South Shore takes 10 minutes on a light day, 15-20 in traffic. If you need to get on Hwy 96, the traffic light after the exit is just terrible. The new shopping there makes it even worse.

There's a very big difference in commute between northern Clear lake and League City. That's why house prices are what they are. They run near $100/sq ft in my hood and have been rising faster than the vast majority of the Bay Area. A 2200 sq ft fetches around $210k nowadays, 1600 sq ft around $170k.
I see what you mean in regards to commuting to Houston. If a commute was not a factor it would not be an issue to live in League City, but commuting into Houston from League City is much longer. Got it!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
I see what you mean in regards to commuting to Houston. If a commute was not a factor it would not be an issue to live in League City, but commuting into Houston from League City is much longer. Got it!!!

Well if you work in the Clear Lake area, I'd say either side would mostly suit your needs. The space center & vast majority of other large companies scattered around are all pretty close, if not on Bay Area Blvd. If I did that, I would still live farther north since we shoot into the inner city on some weekends. We're also 15 mins from Hobby.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Well if you work in the Clear Lake area, I'd say either side would mostly suit your needs. The space center & vast majority of other large companies scattered around are all pretty close, if not on Bay Area Blvd. If I did that, I would still live farther north since we shoot into the inner city on some weekends. We're also 15 mins from Hobby.
Is there any airplane noise??? What subdivision if you don't mind me asking.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Clear Lake City @ Space Center boulevards is the intersection. The neighborhoods here are Bay Glen, Bay Pointe, Bay Oaks and NorthFork. Bay Knoll is another one closer to Hwy 3. Ellington is the Air National guard reserve base. Yes there is fighter jet and military chopper noise from time to time, but it is never after dark. Rarely on weekdays, but on weekends they can really open up those afterburners an sail at near-Mach levels over the house. That's a trip. You get used to it, and it gives the area a unique personality IMO. I can also watch the airshow from the backyard. Got some great pictures 2 years ago!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,248,131 times
I thought they had closed (or are in the process of closing) the reserve base and making it the home of the predator drones. I now only hear any military planes/choppers on rare occasions where it used to be a regular occurance.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:54 PM

2,489 posts, read 6,450,688 times
It sure doesn't seem like they are closing it down. I hear military planes, nasa planes, coast guard planes flying over several times a day. Used to it now, but it has been over two years of hearing it every day. ( My three yr old loves it by the way)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or