U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,243,864 times

Advertisements

The 147th Fighter wing left Ellington and the predator drones are slated to come -- along with these recent happenings (data from Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership's Web site).

Houston’s Ellington Field has an official name change – now Ellington Airport. Part of the Houston Airport System, the name change will better reflect the primary function of the property as a multi-purpose commercial and general aviation center. Ellington Airport is less than one mile from I-45 South, eight miles from Hobby Airport and 16 miles to Houston’s central business district.
Approximately 380 acres are available for commercial and industrial build-to-suit or design-build - starting at five acres - at Ellington Commerce + Aviation Center, a deed-restricted development. Access is direct from Space Center Boulevard. Additionally, over 100 acres are available, starting at one-acre sites; these are developed pad sites with runway access. Full information is available at Ellington.
More than 151 acres are now for sale at Hwy. 3 and Beltway 8 East in Houston, just north of Ellington Airport. With a close, strategic position to the Port of Houston, Hobby Airport and Johnson Space Center, it will serve a variety of users. This site is six miles to Hobby Airport, eight miles to NASA-JSC, 10 miles to the Port of Houston, 31 miles to the Port of Galveston and 37 miles to Bush Intercontinental Airport.
Recently completed at Ellington is a $23 million joint reserve center. Already approved is a $7.2 million fire station to support commercial and military facilities. Included in the master plan for the military are four more facilities and a mid-size commissary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 AM

8,156 posts, read 26,420,381 times
Interesting.

What appeared to be two military/fighter jets just rip-roared over the house about 3 minutes ago.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 AM

2,489 posts, read 6,449,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Interesting.

What appeared to be two military/fighter jets just rip-roared over the house about 3 minutes ago.
Perhaps they are reserve planes? All I know is they have been flying low and loud for several weeks now. Lots of big transport planes, like the ones after the hurricane too.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Not sure. Whatever they are, they're cranking the afterburners over the neighborhood as we type.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM

They must be flying in a different path today, I haven't heard any yet this morning. Usually they are rattling the windows by now.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 AM

488 posts, read 1,259,735 times
Eeekkkkkk...I don't think I would like that kind of noise...what areas are really affected by the noise?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM

I live in the neighborhood behind Baybrook Mall. We are county Friendswood not Friendswood proper. Actually we don't really notice the planes unless they are flying extremely low, like they have been the last couple of weeks. The big transport planes on the other hand, they are loud no matter how high or low they are. Our neighborhood(Heritage Park) seems to be on the approach flight path for the airport, so noise is to be expected.

We are actually looking to move soon and are looking at League City too.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Anything within a 5 mile radius of Ellington is fair game for noise. In Heritage Park and League City the noise is around but nothing like the north side of Clear Lake. We are butted right against Ellington.

As we speak the fighter jets are gone, but now there are some propellor planes buzzing overhead.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM

488 posts, read 1,259,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I live in the neighborhood behind Baybrook Mall. We are county Friendswood not Friendswood proper. Actually we don't really notice the planes unless they are flying extremely low, like they have been the last couple of weeks. The big transport planes on the other hand, they are loud no matter how high or low they are. Our neighborhood(Heritage Park) seems to be on the approach flight path for the airport, so noise is to be expected.

We are actually looking to move soon and are looking at League City too.
Where in League City? I really Brittany Lakes........

I am glad to learn this about the air noise b/c that would really bother me.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Well we just came back from walking the dog. Over the neighborhood park, there were 3 fighter jets flying together in formation, then suddenly split away at different angles flying 90-degrees sideways. Looked like an airshow move. I don't know what kind of planes they were but they were grey with missiles on the wings. So regardless of what's disbanding there, today is definitely a practice day for fighter jets.

If you work M-F during the day you'll never hear them when you get home in the evening. Whatever the case, it doesn't seem to be affecting property values very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or