U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 AM

132 posts, read 523,385 times

Advertisements

N'hoods that are east of Hwy 288 are generally considered as 'bad', even though they are very close to Medical center.. Now, the definition of 'bad' may vary for different people. Ask tstone who used to live in the west side of 288 and you may get a more detailed comment.

Scott st get a lot a good press for their X'mas lightings every year though..and I think that may be the only time they get some good press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
3801 Palm St, Houston, TX

Is anyone familiar with this neighborhood? Why is this house so inexpensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,772,739 times
I agree is the location.

Who knows though, with TMC growing the way it is, and the way Houston is exploding in population, this is an area that might see more of a rebirth in years to come. Even Riverside Terrace is getting a second look lately, when it was once completely overlooked.

It's a "crap shoot" location.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 AM

6,878 posts, read 17,814,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
personally I think there are better bargains in the Riverside area.

Now this is just me, but I loathe rehabs like that one. L-O-A-T-H-E them. Here was an older home that probably had character, but who would know at this point. It looks like they did their dead level best to make it look like a brand new KB tract home. If that was the goal, they need to be congratulated, they succeeded. I'm sure a lot of people like it, I know, but I just can't stand it.

University Oaks is just to the east of there and Timber Crest just to the west. I would rather be in either of those myself. If I was going to do Riverside, I would want a more interesting house.

This one is for rent, but is an example of some of the nice older ones over there. I think this one is a John Staub design.
2623 Riverside Dr, Houston, TX 77004

Me too, modster. It just turns my stomach to see insensitive remodeling.

I love University Oaks--some of the homes in there are incredible time capsules. However, it is only a matter of time before they too are gone in the name of cheap granite tiled countertops. Ugh.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 AM

2,582 posts, read 7,675,485 times
There are several neighborhoods that make up what is generally referred to as Riverside Terrace. Washington Terrace, which is sort of the northwestern part next to 288, (actually 288 ripped right through it), was at one time, (I think maybe the late 90's), ranked as having the highest appreciation rates in the city. It has been hit hard with foreclosures lately, so I am not sure how it has been doing lately.

Like the other posters said, it was considered the "Jewish River Oaks." Homes were designed by the same Architects that did River Oaks & the Museum district. It was a very elite area. A black cattle rancher bought in the all white neighborhood on Wichita street in 1953 in a location where 288 now sits. He used his white secretary as a front to buy the house. A bomb was planted on his porch. Realtors started an episode of what is called "block busting." A now illegal practice. They preyed on the fears of the white residents back in the 50's and 60's by telling them they needed to sell because blacks were moving in. The Chronicle had a separate column in the paper for "colored homes" and they started putting their Riverside listings there. This created a selling panic and many of the original families "fled" to Meyerland and Braeswood in the 50's and 60's. Some families tried to resist the trend to flee and put signs in their yards "this is our home. It is not for sale." Hence the name for the documentary.

While many of the original African American families that settled in Riverside were often people with decent paying jobs, like postal workers, it soon began to attract the city's AA elite. Politico's, professionals, College Professors from TSU, etc. Something it has continued to do to this day.

Fast forward, now Riverside is feeling the pressure of change once again. Developers looking for cheaper land than in midtown have jumped 59/288 towards Dowling and started building there. Interest in the area is expanding beyond its traditional base of affluent African Americans. The fear that gentrification would drive out many of the long term residents resulted in a movement where a new wave of signs went out, "3rd ward is our home and it is not for sale." To try to create some solidarity against developers coming in and reinventing the Riverside area.

Many of the residents there are elderly, and especially the areas north of Braes bayou have been hit hard with foreclosures. How this increased turn over of houses will impact the future of the neighborhood is anyone's guess.

There are lovely homes, big lots, great trees, and it borders, or practically borders a lot of things, the Medical Center, Hermann park, UH, TSU, and midtown. Geographically it has a very enviable location.

My biggest gripe with Riverside is while I understand the existing residents desire to maintain the character of their community, it can be a very unwelcoming place at times.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM

1,234 posts, read 3,664,715 times
Quote:

My biggest gripe with Riverside is while I understand the existing residents desire to maintain the character of their community, it can be a very unwelcoming place at times.
This is very true. I'm sure I have posted on here about this before, but one of the two homes we were serious about was located in Riverside Terrace (on Wichita, no less!). We had driven around the area many times and knew what to expect. What we didn't expect was the chilly reception we would receive. We made a point of speaking to many of the neighbors and it was very much "what are you doing here, isn't there someplace elese you would rather buy?" It was off-putting for sure, and made the decision to go to Eastwood much easier. Looking back, it might have been us just being sensitive, but at the time it just didn't seem like the kind of place we wanted.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM

2,596 posts, read 7,050,222 times
You think 269,00 for inside the loop is expensive?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,044,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
You think 269,000 for inside the loop is expensive?
westres1, I don't know to whom you are addressing your question, but I asked, "Why is this house so INexpensive?"

Everyone else, thank you for the information and opinions. Very interesting historical stuff about this neighborhood.

Appealing as the geographic location is, it doesn't sound like a good fit for me.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:33 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,675,485 times
Quote:
westres1, I don't know to whom you are addressing your question, but I asked, "Why is this house so INexpensive?"

Everyone else, thank you for the information and opinions. Very interesting historical stuff about this neighborhood.

Appealing as the geographic location is, it doesn't sound like a good fit for me.
I wouldn't necessarily throw the baby out with the bath-water. You might keep an eye out in University Oaks and some of the areas along south MacGregor. But like Travelguy, if you are looking for a well priced urban location you might look over in Eastwood. I think Houston Mod is going to do another "mod of the month" open house thing in Glenbrook on the 25th. You can put on your urban pioneer hat & check out the other alternative east end areas that weekend.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,044,852 times
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily throw the baby out with the bath-water. You might keep an eye out in University Oaks and some of the areas along south MacGregor. But like Travelguy, if you are looking for a well priced urban location you might look over in Eastwood. I think Houston Mod is going to do another "mod of the month" open house thing in Glenbrook on the 25th. You can put on your urban pioneer hat & check out the other alternative east end areas that weekend.
Here is what I'm wondering: What price point buys you a 2000+ square foot home in a safe area, easy commute from central Houston, and good public schools from elementary to high school?

Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 PM

132 posts, read 523,385 times
That depends on your defintion of 'easy commute'. If 45 minutes is OK, then your own New territory/telfair is a good choice for 300K home with 3K sqft.

Quote:
Here is what I'm wondering: What price point buys you a 2000+ square foot home in a safe area, easy commute from central Houston, and good public schools from elementary to high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston